Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oculus PCVR gets full 120hz today

Zenbane
Level 16

Posted by Zuckerberg just 25 minutes ago:

Zenbane_0-1621469191035.png

Looking forward to trying this out this evening!

Also note, regarding any rumors that Oculus PCVR is dead... this news has over 21,000 Likes and over 16,000 comments.

๐Ÿ˜Ž

33 REPLIES 33

pyroth309
Level 14

My bad, I was hurrying to finish that last message so I could put some kids to bed and I suck at arranging my thoughts.  

Accessory was the wrong word. Companion is what I was looking for. It compliments my PCVR tethered headsets.

@Zenbane wrote:

For me the key difference is that we can't connect the Nintendo Switch to a PC to play AAA Steam games! I have a Switch and trust me, I tried lol

No doubt. With the switch comparison, I just meant that that's how I'm using the Quest. I'm not really utilizing the 3rd aspect that Quest has with the higher fidelity graphics option except when revive doesn't work.  Wasn't saying it was only a switch.

@Zenbane wrote:

Or to put that another way, the manner in which you view the Q2 (categorized by its strength and weaknesses) is the same manner in which I view dedicated PCVR HMD's coupled with high-end graphics cards; in that there are not - categorically - enough AAA PCVR software titles that take advantage of the strengths offered by high-end dedicated PCVR.

I hear ya. For me, there's enough titles for me to justify it. That's kind of in the eye of the beholder I think. While AAA is a quantifiable thing, I don't necessarily think a game is good solely because it's AAA. Nor do I think only AAA titles look good. For me there's enough there to enjoy. But I'm in agreement we need more.

I only used the strength and weakness line because I feel like what he Quest 2 does best is Stand alone and wireless. So I embraced it and use it primarily for what it is best at. Wasn't trying to imply it can't do other things well. It's a solid headset.

pyroth309
Level 14

Not to veer off into offtopic but, I've been enjoying the VR mods that keep coming out of flat screen games. Even though a lot of them don't use motion controls, it's still super enjoyable to me just to have the HMD working. Red Dead Redemption 2 VR mod just came out from same guy who did GTA 5 VR mod. I'm beyond excited to try that out. That's as AAA as it gets.

Thanks for the clarification @pyroth309 - I agree with just about all of that.

"For me, there's enough titles for me to justify it. That's kind of in the eye of the beholder I think. While AAA is a quantifiable thing, I don't necessarily think a game is good solely because it's AAA. Nor do I think only AAA titles look good. For me there's enough there to enjoy. But I'm in agreement we need more."

Agreed on this. I think I just use a lot of "lazy writing" to describe the gist of my sentiment. In this case, when I refer to AAA titles, it's my way of describing something that I would personally find compelling being in my 40's and having spent thousands of hours gaming as early as the Atari 2600 days.

Going from every single-player type of experience (Final Fantasy RPGs) to Multiplayer Competition (Ladder Rank matches in StarCraft) to large scale co-op and warfare (MMORPG's like DAOC) all the way to platformers and arcade battles (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat)... at some point things start to feel very monotonous and regurgitated to me.

And it's not me wanting to intentionally turn my nose up to games and act as if my experience puts my preferences above the rest! lmao

Believe me, when I check Steam and Oculus for new releases, I'm always hoping to find something exciting. There's that inner child in me that really wants to find something that gives the same experience that captivated me in my early days. But more times than not, I end up disappointed.

This happens less in vanilla/pancake games, because even small dev shops tend to put so much blood and tears in to their work. But with VR, everyone seems to be rushing to the VR part, while letting the compelling content take a back-seat. It's as if VR devs are relying solely on VR's default "immersive factor" to be the main selling point.

But I need more than just immersion. I need that thing I experienced when I first play through Myst, Morrowind, StarCraft, etc. Na' mean?

I agree with that. I've been a gamer since the very early 80's and I've pretty much seen and done it all. There's a lot of times I feel like I've already played all of the good games possible and there's nothing else new to really do or see. That's usually when I will stumble upon a hidden gem which proves me wrong.

I can honestly say the vast majority of my favorite games over the last few years, are not AAA, or even AA. It's indie devs who are passionate and invested in what they're making over regurgitating the latest AAA fad that sells well to kids.

That said, while I do find most AAA games to be overrated copy and paste jobs with different shades of lipstick put on... the "High Water Mark" for me is usually a AAA game that checked all of the boxes because they're usually the only ones that have the budget to do everything. So we definitely need more of them.

VR's still in infancy but I think there's still more to come for PCVR in the immediate future. Both from Quest 2 ports and PSVR 2. I likely will still be purchasing all of the multiplats on PCVR as that way I won't have to worry about compatibility with PSVR 3 or PS7 or Quest 5 or whatever. Windows will still be around a long time. 

> But I need more than just immersion. 

I think you like to be positively surprised ๐Ÿ™‚

To see something you have not seen before. It could be some simple thing, not AAA or topmost graphics, but it should not be "like you have seen before in other decorations".

It's like 3D movies were decades ago. They were made just to be a 3D movie and not to be "a great movie regardless of 2D/3D".

It is not easy to make a VR game from technical reason (compare to 2D game). So those persons who could create new mechanics to surprise you are not the same who creating great technical VR software and has money to do so.

Do not know how to solve it. May be we need some competition for game ideas so the winner will have chance to get a team of great programmers, designers and finances to implement their idea? Or a list of winners. Give them a chance to make a demo and then filter them by minimal product implemented.

And now you could have multiplayer games. They could give you surprises you will never expected. Like "breaking outside of lobby through the wall" in Echo. Those surprises that developers never think of ๐Ÿ™‚

> It's indie devs who are passionate and invested in what they're making over regurgitating the latest AAA fad that sells well to kids.

Great game will try to lead you into some story. It could start as a simple game for kids, but then change to very complex mechanic and ideas. Not so many games will do this.

It's great to have many layers of a game. So you are not just solving puzzles and killing monsters, but you are a part of a story. And you are uncovering it slowly as you go through the game. Or even outside of a game (in game reviews collecting small hints and making conclusions). So a game as a whole is another puzzle over all puzzles.

But those type of games are not collecting much money. It's more like a creation of art. You could invest in it and have not all your investments come back. But your goal is not money. That is art.

TomCgcmfc
Level 16

I was kinda hoping that this thread would provide more useful information on the new Q2 PCVR 120Hz mode rather than a debate on other things, lol!  I have already provided my initial view on this in the very first reply post (now buried) and I do not intend to repeat myself (read it if interested). 

I have done a lot of Q2 PCVR 120Hz testing since and my initial views remain unchanged; Q2 120Hz PCVR gaming is not for me.  I'm not saying it's bad, just not my cup of tea.

Maybe I'll beat a few Index guys to the punch and say that I think that dedicated PCVR headsets capable of 120Hz (like Index and VP2) are likely to produce better results with DP transmission than a so-called hybrid like the Q2.  Maybe one day we will see true hybrids that are capable of higher than 500mbps bitrates.

9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Quest 2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro.

inovator2
Level 4

I personally can't get excited about this since the airlink for me is not anywhere as clear as virtual desktop. The 120hz is said to knock down visuals even further. 

@inovator2  If you play with settings enough youโ€™ll find that both are about the same imho.

9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Quest 2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro.

Yeah I found the opposite to be true. I find Air Link to be superior to Virtual Desktop due to the ease-of-use. I can toggle between Quest native and Oculus PCVR without ever leaving VR using a simple menu. And the clarity is exactly the same imo.