cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Prototype "Crystal Cove"

Gablar
Honored Guest
Some of the articles posted on this thread about Crystal Cove.
Polygon posted By Gablar
Wired By NCWolf
IGN by Daloots
The Verge by Daloots
Engadget by BigRobCoder
Gizmodoby BigRobCoder
German You Tube Video By cerebral
416 REPLIES 416

cerebral
Honored Guest
"l3eerme" wrote:
Scott Stein of C/Net says its a oled 1080p screen that they are using
Just watched video right on this forum lol

he also talks about 12k displays????? Why would someone from Oculus talk about such future techs in front of the press?
Because display manufacturers told'em it can be done in future??? we will hear more exciting news this evening my guess when Mr. Iribe gives his talk. 😄

Inscothen
Explorer
It would be great to hear it from Oculus. These sites are usually pretty weak when reporting certain things. I know I enjoy my "Carmack Rift" :roll:

zhyiou
Honored Guest
A lot of people on this thread assume that the resolution => 1080p. But how about this: What if the 'pixel flashing' actually reduces the screen door effect, and they used a 720p screen? I don't want to step on any toes, but in I think in a roadtovr hands on with the Glyph, he thought he was looking at a 'at least 1080p' screen, whilst it turned out to be a 720p picture.

Would not that be a reason to keep quiet about the current res, since all are expecting a higher res screen, whilst maybe the road towards a better screen is actually choosing a lower screen (but higher framerate)? If that makes any sense.

Calanar
Honored Guest
"l3eerme" wrote:

Right, he says, and he isn't the only one to report that. To must of us it seems obvious that it is some flavor of OLED and 1080p. But, Oculus, for once, is being very cagey about their demo prototype. Which is way weird. I think the NDA thing might be the real reason, that makes sense. I guess it will help me at least stop looking for a motive to make sense of it.
Michael Tenery, Software, RPG and Game Developer. Imagine Role Playing: http://www.role-playing.com

cerebral
Honored Guest
"Calanar" wrote:
"l3eerme" wrote:

Right, he says, and he isn't the only one to report that. To must of us it seems obvious that it is some flavor of OLED and 1080p. But, Oculus, for once, is being very cagey about their demo prototype. Which is way weird. I think the NDA thing might be the real reason, that makes sense. I guess it will help me at least stop looking for a motive to make sense of it.

If they told the press its an 1080p OLED panel it would be clear to the world it is from Samsung.
So that is why it sounds so weird to not tell the res.

Inscothen
Explorer
Just going from LCD @ 60hz to OLED @ 90+Hz, with new lenses, and the other benefits OLED can bring(black levels, color) can increase image quality making some think a 720p panel is 1080p. Especially with the reduced/removed(?) blurring.

sven
Protege
It's just a prototype. Who cares really?
They have confirmed that the consumer product will have at least 1080p and positional motion tracking.

Raven
Protege
Regarding that external camera - I feel like there's a lot of premature worrying surrounding it. We have to remember that Oculus does have a long-term vision of realizing the full potential of VR, and really good insight into what that future should entail. Crystal Cove is only one step towards future versions and this particular implementation, and the design choices they made, including this external camera, are most certainly not decisions they made rashly. Additionally Mitchell did, after all, say that the camera is not necessarily a final solution - it may not be the solution that ships with the consumer model.

Any potential problems that a vision-based tracking system introduces are in all likelihood temporary — or alternatively have more pros than cons. Let's have faith in that IF this particular solution to positional tracking has what are deemed too severe limitations or flaws - Oculus intends to remedy it.

I for one am happy with getting an improved screen, lower latency and positional tracking if it brings us closer to what CK1 will have. I need a device that can help me improve our development methods and technology in preparation for the consumer version — Crystal Cove looks like it delivers.

cerebral
Honored Guest
"sven" wrote:
Who cares really?

Curiosity. 🙂

Christiaan
Protege
They are avoiding any revelations regarding the individual components. There are only so many sol'ns that would fall within a certain spec.

In addition, there is bound to be a ton of press that, when given a spec list, would reveal said specs, unqualified. Readers would then assume that they are definitive.

They are doing it right. Good to see it's a pro operation. 😉