cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest VR Headsets Accounts for More Than 60% of Steam VR

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

kevinw729_0-1626337356871.png

https://www.roadtovr.com/facebook-oculus-headsets-more-than-60-vr-headsets-used-on-steam-quest-2/amp...

Congratulations to all the team at Oculus and Facebook Reality Labs for this amazing achievment. 

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Checked several games in the Rift Store, and ratings are not really moving. Also new Rift releases get close to no ratings. Feels like the Rift Store is close to dead or non-moving. Of course Oculus is not making anything better by forcing full price on all Rift games and apps (the sale category has now been completely removed). Just check out the new Blair Witch Rift game, where devs even improved poly levels - thus put a great effort into the Rift version - it now has only 6 ratings, and many due to cross buy. So how many actually bought the Rift game? Sad times indeed. 

Thus the 30% Quest 2 users with SteamVR are interesting. Have Oculus PCVR users abandoned the Rift Store and only use Steam?

Or Quest 2 users only play Alyx? 🙂

In short, I fail to see the massive number of Quest 2 users being a driving force for PCVR, but maybe I'm looking at the wrong titles... In fact, in the Rift Store, I can't see any impact at all of an increased amount of Quest 2 users. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

View solution in original post

58 REPLIES 58

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm wonder if those numbers might be telling to Oculus regarding PC-VR...

It certainly is interesting. Also that so many are using Steam when they have the Oculus store available to them.

A great observation - it was what I took away as well. It is not the headlines but what is being suggested.
Many read this as just quest2, but this means all of the Oculus range - and obviously its interesting that SteamVR is proving the central hub for many users. Will be interesting to see if this is a long term swing away from the store as a reaction to recent developments?

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

I said it before and i will say it again, FB with the Quest have helped make SteamVr the place to go for PCVR gaming, and i know they did not mean to but as we are told ad nauseam, steamvr Quest numbers month to month show us just how popular PCVR and steam Vr gaming is for VR gamers, so well done FB. 😉

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

@kevinw729 wrote:

A great observation - it was what I took away as well. It is not the headlines but what is being suggested.
Many read this as just quest2, but this means all of the Oculus range - and obviously its interesting that SteamVR is proving the central hub for many users. Will be interesting to see if this is a long term swing away from the store as a reaction to recent developments?

Interesting that your goal is to try to spin the news negatively, to attempt to make it seems as if Quest users prefer Steam over Oculus.

There is zero evidence of this from the article you presented. People use both the Oculus platform and Steam, together. In order for someone to prefer Steam over Oculus with their Quest, we would need numbers that show how much time these users spend on Oculus' platform vs Steams. And those numbers are not available at all.

Users, like myself, tend to enjoy having all options available. It is fun to play some titles on Oculus and other titles on Steam. Trying to spin this in a negative way is rather futile, and transparent.

@Anonymous wrote:

It certainly is interesting. Also that so many are using Steam when they have the Oculus store available to them.

It's no different than Index and Vive users using Re-Vive to play Oculus Store titles, despite having SteamVR available to them.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kevinw729 wrote:

Yep starting to look like it. So to say Steam VR currently does not offer much for VR users I would say is not quite accurate. Seems even Oculus users find a lot of good in Steam VR.  Who woulda thunk? 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep and one they could learn from I would think.

Checked several games in the Rift Store, and ratings are not really moving. Also new Rift releases get close to no ratings. Feels like the Rift Store is close to dead or non-moving. Of course Oculus is not making anything better by forcing full price on all Rift games and apps (the sale category has now been completely removed). Just check out the new Blair Witch Rift game, where devs even improved poly levels - thus put a great effort into the Rift version - it now has only 6 ratings, and many due to cross buy. So how many actually bought the Rift game? Sad times indeed. 

Thus the 30% Quest 2 users with SteamVR are interesting. Have Oculus PCVR users abandoned the Rift Store and only use Steam?

Or Quest 2 users only play Alyx? 🙂

In short, I fail to see the massive number of Quest 2 users being a driving force for PCVR, but maybe I'm looking at the wrong titles... In fact, in the Rift Store, I can't see any impact at all of an increased amount of Quest 2 users. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Thanks for these observations - very on-the-nail with what the numbers are pointing too.

The impart of the increase of Quest2 users must be being felt? I do not think you are looking at the wrong titles either.

There is some collateral damage on the store regarding the "advertising" and the "login" but would not expect it to drive such a large exodus to Steam?

With the media-Beta keys arriving for HORIZON we will be able to go over there now and see the general reaction from the quest2 userbase, as I am not really seeing it reflected here either?