cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest VR Headsets Accounts for More Than 60% of Steam VR

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

kevinw729_0-1626337356871.png

https://www.roadtovr.com/facebook-oculus-headsets-more-than-60-vr-headsets-used-on-steam-quest-2/amp...

Congratulations to all the team at Oculus and Facebook Reality Labs for this amazing achievment. 

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
58 REPLIES 58

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Thus the major problem with Lone Echo and other awesome Oculus exclusives is that so many VR users never tried these games.

What would lead you to believe that? Check out the Oculus VR Group on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/466125286822169

Just search for "Lone Echo" and you'll see plenty of people discussing it. Someone even posted about it 9 hours ago (from me making this post).

Reddit is also filled with Lone Echo posts, year after year up to present day.

From my perspective, there are a ton of VR users who know and enjoy Lone Echo. You just have to look for it in communities that are like-minded.

"But t must have something to do with valuing your opinions here, as you're all pretty knowledgeable about the games you play and useful sources of that knowledge"

Thanks, always nice to hear that someone reads and appreciates what I write  🙂 I actually just got a warning from Steam that I've been refunding too many games, lol - but I think I buy just as much as I refund 🤔 😁

Unavngivet.jpg

For VR games I find it incredibly hard to trust the trailers, screenshots and reviews. You really need to be in the game to be able to pass any judgement, while 2D games are better fitting for the trailers (sort of). Also nearly all reviewers never mention what rig they used, levels of super sampling used - and I consider myself lucky if they tell me what hmd they used. And many VR games don't look good in trailers - because then it's only 2D. 

Maybe it's also a problem that so few devs offer demo versions - or maybe we should just be given 2 hours to test VR games with no limitations on the number of games you test... VR devs need all the help they can get. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

You are right @RuneSR2 - the reviews and trailers are proving less than reliable depictions. This is also supported by some posting that seems invested in promoting one platform over others.

Many players are now voting with their feet and focusing on "trying before they buy" sales portals, another factor in Steams success over the store.

I find it hard as a senior judge for the VR Awards - as I would normally gauge reviews to see perception to a particular game. I now have to go into evaluation from a totally clean deck. It must be difficult for the other judges that have not been doing this for the same amount of time. 

We had a big discussion on the Oculus Facebook forum about the state of reviewing and VR media in general - it is surprising that a emerging market has so little true professional media coverage. 

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

I think there's a double problem of insufficient reviews at times and people passing judgement on things they have little experience of themselves. I definitely wouldn't be conformable being a judge of anything if I hadn't bought and used the thing for myself for example. That's probably more of a forum problem than a review system problem but it all point to a bit of a malaise. You pretty soon get to know who's opinions are valuable though and look out for those.

Keep the reviews coming!

As always thanks for your opinion.
I think you have illustrated the difference in perception between what is experience and malaise of judgement. I understand the difficult to comprehend the difference between being approached based on previous experience, and that of say a volunteer.  I think you may be miss-informed if you think reviewers purchase copies, or have the work load to "use" the games similar to  the way you consider. But that is a difference between real world and other perspectives.
All that helps us understand who we value opinions from. 

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Maybe it's also a problem that so few devs offer demo versions - or maybe we should just be given 2 hours to test VR games with no limitations on the number of games you test... VR devs need all the help they can get. 

If you want to help VR devs… maybe don’t be so quick to judge their games so harshly? I’ve seen you dismiss many games as “garbage” based on nothing more than poly count or texture resolution, with no consideration for whether the gameplay loop is fun and engaging, or appreciation for any innovative mechanic that they may have introduced.

I understand that you have very specific tastes and expectations, but not all games are focused on photo-realism above all else. Trashing every game that doesn’t cater to your graphics fetish does real harm to the PCVR industry. Refunds and bad reviews hurt those devs more than if you hadn’t bought their games in the first place. You often complain about Quest luring devs away from PCVR, but the attitudes of some PC elitists also contributes to driving devs away from PC. 

I saw your Steam review of Sniper Elite VR, for example—it’s full of incorrect assumptions, like stating that the PC version of the game uses assets with the same poly count as the Quest ones (it doesn’t). You made a similar claim in your Cosmodread review, and it wasn’t true in that case either. People read stuff like that and decide that a game isn’t worth their consideration. Meanwhile, the game is selling very well on the Quest store and has good reviews there. If I was a developer who had spent the last several years bringing a game to market and optimizing it for a wide range of PCs, only to be met with that kind of reception from the PC portion of the player base, I know where I’d focus my future development efforts.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

@kevinw729 wrote:

I understand the difficult to comprehend the difference between being approached based on previous experience, and that of say a volunteer.  I think you may be miss-informed if you think reviewers purchase copies, or have the work load to "use" the games similar to  the way you consider. 

It's a known fact that organizations try to make a name for themselves by adding names to a roster just for the sake of it. Similar to how HTC approached Paris Hilton, who posed with a non-functional Vive.

Zenbane_0-1626550389856.png

If an organization approaches someone with no real experience with the thing in which they are going to judge, then it speaks negatively towards that organization. The Award process doesn't really mean much, and becomes more about politics and pandering.

One thing we have all seeing since the 2014 acquisition of Oculus by Facebook, is the need for many would-be VR Enthusiasts to try to make a name for themselves and cash in on this emerging technology. We see it on YouTube all the time, with the likes of MRTV and SweViver.

There is more than one VR Award entity across the globe. There is no single VR organization that has a monopoly on awards.

I tend to favor the organizations that look for true real-world applicability of VR innovation, such as with NSF:

www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=2028077

They use judge panels and criteria the encompass science and innovation, not just the YouTube-esque approach of being trendy.

I think that the moment VR is truly reporting profit numbers akin to the entire mobile Industry (multi-billions), then we'll start to see stronger VR Award organizations step forward; with stronger criteria for judge selection, and a more in-depth approach.

Not to mention that with today's VR Software Ecosystem, there isn't much to judge anyway. The best VR game to date is Alyx, the most popular VR game is Beat Saber, the best wired HMD is Index, the best all-around HMD is Quest 2. It's been this way for some 2 years now. Not much to judge in terms of competition until at least 2023.

mmm Interestiong and thank you for your comment too 🙂 However, where did I say I think reviewers purchase copies they review? I understand it's sometimes easy to misinterpret what's being said and we all makes mistakes like that sometimes.

But no, what I said was I'd be uncomfortable judging things that I didn't buy and use myself. That's a reasonable statement isn't it? If you don't think so, perhaps you can say why that's an unreasonable stance?

Well, anyway, as you've posted this thread on the subject of Steam use... and have opined on what that means on the choice that people make, whether to buy from Oculus or Steam... I've listed my reasons when deciding to buy from any particular storefront (no's 1 to 6).

Perhaps you can say whether you agree with that list?

If you have a different view, what is your list of priorities?

For example what was your last VR game purchase and where from? where is your next purchase likely to be from? This is your topic after all, I'd invite you to take part in the subject with your own experiences.

Appreciate your clarifying your point more - if I missed that point in my reply, I hope you understand that it was a little bit off topic and I may have come at it from the wrong angle.

Anyway, thank you for the opportunity to discuss what I am about to be playing at the moment. I will be real brief:

1. Topgolf: Pro Putt’

kevinw729_3-1626557896162.png
Reason - as the first in a Out-of-Home and marketing crossover platform, this looks like a fun recreation of the Topgolf experience in VR.

2. Vader Immortal – Lightsaber Dojo: A Star Wars VR Experience 

kevinw729_2-1626557731901.png
Reason - really keen to try this and compare this against the consumer Vader Immortal version - it has enhanced PCVR graphics and it will be interesting to try the new special moves added to the 2.0 version

3. Beat Heroes

kevinw729_1-1626557691775.png

Reason - as Beat Saber has been removed from the VR arcade scene there has been a vacuum created, and it seems that this may have been filled with a great two-player alternative, that could actually be a hit in its own right.

4. Phenomena [VENUS]

kevinw729_0-1626557649025.png

Reason - as part of the Oculus ISV dev program, this will be great to try a four player quest2 platform, and the first games for the system. There are four titles in this system that all look interesting.

Regarding the rest, the VR Awards shortlist will be revealed in a day or so and I will revert over to going through the lust the team send through. But I really do not want to make this about the judging process.

Now I really feel that if you think as a Moderator we should list our games preferences, I think you may want to create a category for this, as I felly feel that this may be derailing the intention I had in starting this discussion, IMHO.

Well, why don't we put moderation to one side because I'm chatting about the thread topic, not moderating. I'm still allowed to chat I hope! And this is an interesting subject that I'm not sure has been covered in other threads, but I could be wrong.

So the question was about what prioritises our preferences for Steam or Oculus use... which is what this thread is about. Not really what our game preference are per se but more what our Store front preferences are.

You don't have to give examples of games but I thought giving examples helps... as it did with my reply about Wraith and Flight Simulator.... Oculus and MS Stores in those cases.

So summing up again:

No.1 factor I look for when buying is... Is it the type of game I like.

No.2: What are the reviews like.

No.3: Is it Cross-Buy.

No.4: If available on Oculus and on Steam, does the Steam version have native Oculus support.

No.5: If on Steam and Oculus, which is cheaper.

No.6: Which storefront is closer to the source of the game (e.g. MS Store for Flight Simulator)

So which store do yo prefer to use? and are your priorities very different than those I've listed?

If you've never spent money in either store, then no problem.