cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest VR Headsets Accounts for More Than 60% of Steam VR

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

kevinw729_0-1626337356871.png

https://www.roadtovr.com/facebook-oculus-headsets-more-than-60-vr-headsets-used-on-steam-quest-2/amp...

Congratulations to all the team at Oculus and Facebook Reality Labs for this amazing achievment. 

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
58 REPLIES 58

nalex66
MVP
MVP

If you haven’t seen it, Valve’s latest hardware venture might shed some light on a possible future path for their VR hardware. They’ve just revealed the Steam Deck, a powerful handheld gaming device that can play PC games natively. If they can cram that much PC power into a mobile device, perhaps they might try putting it into a headset next. Or, maybe one could plug a PCVR headset (with inside-out tracking) into the Steam Deck to enjoy VR anywhere. Either way, clearly Valve sees that there’s a market for portable gaming devices that aren’t tethered to a desktop PC.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Funny - just posted on the Index forum the news of the #GabeBoy platform and implication for VR.
Would be interesting if they have focused on scaling this system into a Standalone while they are doubling down on a Index2 system. Maybe their SteamOS allows them to consider the best of both worlds - a strong inside-out tracking solution, for a high-quality PCVR headset - kind of a hybrid of what was expected from CV2 / Halfdome.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

@kevinw729 wrote:

… if they have focused on scaling this system into a Standalone why they are doubling down on a Index2 system.

Well, if they do intend to use the Steam Deck in conjunction with VR, then they would need a new headset that doesn’t depend on Lighthouse base stations. A mobile gaming setup makes no sense if you’re stuck with a fixed play space. From that point of view, a more self-contained Index 2 with inside-out tracking would be a logical development.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

We have already seen the patent filing for the Index 2 [image] using the Inside-out tracking - and the response seemed very positive from the VR community - a high-end PC VR headset supporting a possible hybrid (wireless) streamed VR approach. 

kevinw729_1-1626438353927.png

@kevinw729 wrote:

Where we have seen the attempt to call PCVR dead seemed more leveled at those not using a particular hardware platform. 

Going from the history on this forum, it was actually you and dburne who were claiming that Oculus PCVR was dead. Somehow that is being twisted in to a story that "other people" claimed PCVR was dead. 

I can dig up the quotes later I suppose, since there is some pivoting and re-writing of history taking place.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

"The irony is those screaming just how well the Quest brand is doing when once a month they see the Steam figures of how many Quest users are connecting to steamVR, then in the next breath they tell us that PCVR is dead and buried and it's all about the quest store and how much money it is making on the Quest brand"

For the record, nobody has ever actually made this argument. Quite the contrary, myself and others argued that PCVR is alive and well. It was others stating that - due to the end of life for Rift - that PCVR was dead. I defended against that idea strongly, by pointing out that Oculus continues to work on PCVR exclusives post-Rift end of life. Such as with Lone Echo.

I think that the term "PCVR" gets used a bit too loosely during these types of debates. PCVR is not one single thing for the purposes of these types of comments; it is two different things: Hardware and Software.

The end of life for Rift marked the "death of dedicated PCVR hardware" for Oculus. Note that this is not the same as saying that "PCVR is dead" (because PCVR is not simply hardware). Oculus PCVR lives on via PCVR software. For example, horse drawn carriages are dead as a primary means of transportation, however, vehicle transportation lives on. 

The article in the original post clearly shows that "dedicated PCVR hardware" is dying. Index is supposed to be the staple for dedicated PCVR Hardware, yet it remains at a mere 16% on its own platform. Valve has responded by working on an inside-out tracking HMD, because Quest 2 has taught Valve that dedicated PCVR hardware is a dying market.

If we use the terms correctly and isolate hardware from software, then there is no mental gymnastics being employed; only factual observation.

Facebook's advertising is about increasing profits for developers, and making an already successful brand even more successful. Wanting to go from millions to billions is a good thing.

Yeah, I think there's a correlation between who's making the conclusions and the conclusions being made. Strange yes, but by no means surprising.

The No.1 factor I look for when buying is... Is it the type of game I like.

No.2: What are the reviews like.

No.3: Is it Cross-Buy.

No.4: If available on Oculus and on Steam, does the Steam version have native Oculus support.

No.5: If on Steam and Oculus, which is cheaper.

My most recent buy was Wraith for the first 3 reasons. After that nothing else mattered!

Agreed - to some degree, as for your points 1, 2, especially 4 and 5 😉 

But point 1 may overrule everything. Still it's really a great mystery to me: with so many new Quest 2 PCVR users, as witnessed by the Steam Hardware Survey, why aren't ratings for the awesome Oculus PCVR exclusives exploding? Lone Echo got more than 4,000 ratings already in 2018, still it's below 5,000. Quest 2 users even got Asgard's Wrath for free - still I did not see any significant impact on the number of ratings. Quest 2 users write tons of ratings in the Quest Store - I don't believe they don't rate Rift games, if they own them.

No one did more for PCVR than Oculus, surely it must be depressing to see so few ratings for the very best PCVR titles. 

Right now I try to support PCVR as much as I can, but of course I'm not buying games I don't want to play. It's really saddening to me seeing so little support for Lone Echo, Asgard's Wrath, Stormland, Medal of Honor VR, Defector and other awesome Oculus exclusives - because these games are second only to Alyx. And I can't help thinking if more tried these truly high-end VR games, many more persons would love and support VR. 

Thus the major problem with Lone Echo and other awesome Oculus exclusives is that so many VR users never tried these games. Every time I show Lone Echo to someone, they are completely blown away - but don't want VR thinking it's too expensive or cumbersome to get working. Or they don't have enough time for gaming (my friends are 40+ years of age and have families). 

I do hope more Quest 2 owners will start to experience the great Oculus exclusives - with time. Maybe patience is key, and I hope we have enough time... Would love to see Lone Echo 2 re-ignite PCVR interests. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

You could be right Rune.

I've always thought of the Steam rating system as easier to post to, the Oculus one was super clunky last time I tried to use it, not sure if it's changed any. ln fact that's the only time I've considered posting any game review and haven't tried since.

The Steam rating system is more accessible (or was) and gives the feel of combining ratings with an almost  forum like format with responses to ratings visible within ratings... if you see what I mean. It's a more attractive rating tool so may just attract more ratings because of that. Well for whatever reason, I play the games and don't bother rating.

Except on this forum maybe.. I think this is the only place I bother saying what I think about a game... and I don't do that very often. But t must have something to do with valuing your opinions here, as you're all pretty knowledgeable about the games you play and useful sources of that knowledge 😎

Incidentally, I had the choice of buying Flight Simulator from Microsoft or from Steam and chose Microsoft. I'll go for the point of sale that's closest to the source if all other preferences have been met. It's a little quicker to deliver the updates and cuts out multiple layers of service.

I didn't list that but that would be factor No.6.