cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest and PC Games

xray328
Honored Guest
It seems like the trend is to make Oculus independent of the PC.  My main use of the platform has been experiencing flight sims in VR,  Most of these titles (DCS for instance) require a pretty beefy graphics card and processor.  What's the future hold for this?  I had always hoped the Rift would come out in some sort of HD PC based format, is all hope lost for that?  
5 REPLIES 5

LZoltowski
Champion
Oculus quest is not the Rift

Quest is a mid-tier product. Now that the first gen lineup is complete, there will be a second gen Rift, we just don't know when.

Image result for oculus quest specs
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

xray328
Honored Guest
Oh ok, I thought they were replacing each product with the latest and greatest so in other words that Go was replacing the Rift and the Quest was replacing the Go.

LZoltowski
Champion

xray328 said:

Oh ok, I thought they were replacing each product with the latest and greatest so in other words that Go was replacing the Rift and the Quest was replacing the Go.

No no! Not at all.

The first gen lineup is now complete.

Go is for media and casual games
Quest is for people without a PC (The console gamers here mainly) .. a bit like the switch of consoles
Rift is high-end bleeding edge grade

Next product in the now completed lineup will be the next-gen Rift 2... 
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Again, I am worried that the message if not handled correctly could be confusing - its okay for us in the know, but OVR's marketing team really need to position their product lineup or we will run into issues like the OP continuously!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

falken76
Expert Consultant

xray328 said:

It seems like the trend is to make Oculus independent of the PC.  My main use of the platform has been experiencing flight sims in VR,  Most of these titles (DCS for instance) require a pretty beefy graphics card and processor.  What's the future hold for this?  I had always hoped the Rift would come out in some sort of HD PC based format, is all hope lost for that?  

No hope is not lost.  Facebook was clear there was a mobile and a high end pc vr that were both being focused on and being worked on concurrently.  They're also not behind schedule on releasing the next generation of PC HMD, you still have another full year to go and they'll still be on schedule if they don't release anything until 2020.  Half dome's existence should calm your nerves, that'll certainly be part of the new headset.