cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift 2 Coming Not Until 2019...

briankay1977
Level 3
Interesting article today which uses Facebook's Oculus Hardware estimates per year to basically show that the Oculus Rift 2 is not planned for release until 2019.  http://ir.net/news/virtual-reality-headsets/124064/facebook-expects-600k-oculus-rifts-sales-in-2016-...

The graph shows that sales of the Rift will soar through 2017 before falling off in 2018.  Then in 2019 an all-out explosion of hardware sales.  It is expected that Facebook will sell 10 million headsets in 2019 alone and 13 million in 2020.  Thoughts?

12 REPLIES 12

Overload1
Level 4
Ambitious, but lets have our fingers crossed this turns out to be true. Would really change the gaming that we know today

maxpare79
Level 10
You sure it's not Oculus Rift CV1 coming in 2019?  😉

So we have 3 years to get awesome new GPUs, I do hope VR becomes a real world phenomena and Nvidia and AMD go all in on delivering the best GPUs they can especially with VR in mind.
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

briankay1977
Level 3

maxpare79 said:

You sure it's not Oculus Rift CV1 coming in 2019?  😉

So we have 3 years to get awesome new GPUs, I do hope VR becomes a real world phenomena and Nvidia and AMD go all in on delivering the best GPUs they can especially with VR in mind.

Ha, wouldn't surprise me 🙂

Hargert
Level 3
Makes sense as you need time to develop the screens and for GPUs to catch up. Also once they are out in numbers gives time to give feedback on what to improve.

Dreamwriter
Level 8
I don't get it, why would this research company know Facebook's future plans? Or is Cantor Fitzgerald part of Facebook?

johnmccabe
Level 4
Where do we pre-order, I'm ready for round 2.

shim2
Level 5
At this current pace, they aren't selling 2.3 million by 2017

zippyandgeorge
Level 5
So CV2 will be out about 3 months after my CV! finally arrives lol.

infamouz
Level 4
hahha i can see it now, april 2019, finally another 1000  rifts are shipping!  we're almost there people!!! just another 10 years or so 🙂 

in all seriousness, i hope 2019 is true, hopefully longer than that too, too expensive to be dropping that amount of cash soon