cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift ANTI-PIRACY Update allows for even more Piracy

Maxxgold
Rising Star
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/23/oculus-rift-anti-piracy-update-allows-for-even-more-piracy

BY JOE SKREBELS An Oculus Rift security update seen by many to be a response to Revive - the mod that allows players to play Oculus-exclusive games on the HTC Vive VR headset - has backfired, allowing for full-scale game piracy.

Talking to Motherboard, Revive's secretive developer, Libre VR explained that the update - which now includes a pre-game launch check to see if an Oculus is being used to play - actually allows for the entire security check to be bypassed.

It means that Revive can now technically be used to stop the system being able to tell if a copy of a game was legitimately acquired.

On Reddit, Libre VR said: "I still do not support piracy, do not use this library for pirated copies." He also confirmed that if he found a way to keep Revive's core functionality without bypassing the security checks and allowing for piracy, he would implement it.

When Revive was first released, Oculus told IGN: "This is a hack, and we don’t condone it. Users should expect that hacked games won’t work indefinitely, as regular software updates to games, apps, and our platform are likely to break hacked software."

It's likely that the company will now seek to counter this latest loophole sooner rather than later. IGN has reached out for comment.

37 REPLIES 37

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Gigantoad said:
Yeah sure, if we're talking that kind of platform then my grandma is one too. I thought we were talking about gaming platform, which is usually pretty clear cut. PS4 is one. PC is one. Android and iPhone are each a platform that has their own native OS and code. if you want your game to be released on both, you need to compile for both and adhere to their standards etc. Users know that they cannot migrate their iPhone game to their new Android phone.

So what's an HMD? A peripheral with drivers and an SDK. It doesn't have its own OS, I don't need to compile my game for the Rift, i still compile it for PC with added support for the HMD. Just like I may need to support a steering wheel or a joystick. There is no platform unless Oculus makes a store and decides to call it that. There is no need for a store in order for games to run on the CV1, just as little as it was needed to run games on DK1/DK2.

You honestly have no idea what you're interjecting in this thread. The PC is not a gaming platform, it as device that has an operating system in which gaming platforms can reside.

You're just guessing.

Gigantoad
Adventurer

Zenbane said:

You honestly have no idea what you're interjecting in this thread. The PC is not a gaming platform, it as device that has an operating system in which gaming platforms can reside.

You're just guessing.

Are we talking about games or not? i thought we are. What does the fact that PC (of course) is more than a gaming platform have anything to do with the points I made?

Disappointing for someone so easily accusing people of not knowing what they're talking about when they just gave you a ton valid points why Steam is synonymous with PC gaming today.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The Oculus Rift has a motherboard and chip inside of it; along with memory. That's more than enough to support a platform.

This is all common knowledge at this point; you're just spinning your wheels trying to figure out a way to win a forum debate.

Gigantoad
Adventurer

Zenbane said:

The Oculus Rift has a motherboard and chip inside of it; along with memory. That's more than enough to support a platform.

This is all common knowledge at this point; you're just spinning your wheels trying to figure out a way to win a forum debate.

Hardly need to win anything. You spoke strongly against my Steam argument, I reacted and since then you ignore it and instead spew unrelated nonsense.

Edit: Ah, apologies. The Steam rebuttal didn't come from you actually 🙂 arguing about platform based on wether something has a motherboard and memory is still a bit silly though. Let me know when you can play games on your standalone Rift.

Gigantoad
Adventurer

Hanover said:
It certainly is.  Look at all the extra hardware you need to run a PSVR in addition to the PSV4.

Not sure I follow. What hardware?

Hanover said:
Also, IMHO (and maybe not in yours), Oculus has the best games. Show me one game on SteamVR that's not on Home that's just as good as Chronos or The Climb. So yes, they could succeed...especially if they do start supporting more HMDs. Especially if Home offers more freedom, colloaboration and lucrative deals to developers that Steam does. There's a reason people want to break the law simply to play the games released through Oculus Studios.

Agree on the games. But i doubt Oculus are going to be able to spend the kind of money needed to have enough exclusives to make that work in the long run. Paying a developer enough so he is willing to forfeit selling on Steam where all the money is would be very costly. Not to mention most developers probably aren't very fond of the idea of selling to a limited audience. After all they're not doing it all for the money, they want their games appreciated by as many people as possible. But we will see.

Hanover
Rising Star
"Not sure I follow. What hardware?"

Move controllers, camera and a break-out box that comes with PSVR to process audio and to display what the HMD user is seeing on the TV screen.

Gigantoad
Adventurer

Hanover said:

"Not sure I follow. What hardware?"

Move controllers, camera and a break-out box that comes with PSVR to process audio and to display what the HMD user is seeing on the TV screen.

Hmm, yeah, But surely you wouldn't call PlayStation Move a platform just because it needed additional camera and controllers? The platform is still PlayStation. I'm using a TV with it when i don't use an HMD too, yet my TV isn't the platform because of it.

Gerald
Expert Protege

CrashFu said:

Honestly, Oculus did this intentionally because they want a closed system. It is rather obvious. Yet, Gamers do not want Closed Systems. It is one of the most hated things on Consoles and it will be one of the most hated things in VR.

By Gamers you specifically mean those pretentious "PC Master Race" types, right?
I agree, those guys are the worst!  And I see all those Vive fanboys sharing all those press articles written for those Master Race guys that clearly make only a small percentage of the PC gamer market. Can someone please share all the other articles that make it clear that actually gamers on PC do not mind closed markets!

I would do it myself, but I am currently busy. Thank you!

{/s}
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons