cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift CV1. How to disable the sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity.

Gambit740
Explorer
Hi,

As the title subject says, how do I disable the sleep funtion in the CV1?

I play Project Cars with a m8, my m8 can't use the rift as it makes him
ill... So what I do is pit, get him in the seat, put the rift on a level
surface, cover the head sensor with a cloth, reset the view and my m8
drives using the TV that is infront of the racing seat. The problem
comes when nobody touches the rift for 10 minutes, after 10 minutes of
not physically moving the rift goes into a inactivity mode which kills
all input to the game and my m8 crashes into whatever is infront of the
car. Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the rift going to sleep?

16 REPLIES 16

Gambit740
Explorer
@Mradr - It is definitely a CV1 thing, it's not a project cars issue. The headset will do this in everything including the Oculus home screen.

@OpticKing - We drive like endurance racing, swopping driver at the pit stop I want to use the VR he can't. It is not possible to launch it in none VR and do driver changes.

@Funmotion - I have Oculus disabled in services, I don't want it running at all when not in use.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well this answers a question I asked the other day (can't remember if it was on here or another forum). When I get my Rift in just over 3 weeks I'm planning on leaving it plugged in (because I don't want to keep on plugging it in and unplugging it every time after I've used it) and covering it with a cloth to protect it from dust and my cat's hair. So I'm really happy that it switches off after no activity! :smiley:

OpticKing
Expert Trustee

Gambit740 said:

@Mradr - It is definitely a CV1 thing, it's not a project cars issue. The headset will do this in everything including the Oculus home screen.

@OpticKing - We drive like endurance racing, swopping driver at the pit stop I want to use the VR he can't. It is not possible to launch it in none VR and do driver changes.

@Funmotion - I have Oculus disabled in services, I don't want it running at all when not in use.

Yeah, I'm fairly sure that it's an intended thing, probably a safety feature for the device. Pretty sure they weren't anticipating people taking turns like you and your friend going from vr to monitor still mid game. Perhaps what you really should do here is let your friend use your rift with comfortable games to build his tolerance up so he can jump in the rift when it comes to his turn. He deserves to play it immersed in vr rather than just 2d as well, right?

snowdog said:

Well this answers a question I asked the other day (can't remember if it was on here or another forum). When I get my Rift in just over 3 weeks I'm planning on leaving it plugged in (because I don't want to keep on plugging it in and unplugging it every time after I've used it) and covering it with a cloth to protect it from dust and my cat's hair. So I'm really happy that it switches off after no activity! :smiley:

You needn't worry about that, but the 10 minutes inactivity shut off is not what you'll use to turn your rift off. Closing the oculus home program put the rift into a standby mode (amber light) and opening it reactivates it switching the light to white. You shouldn't even have to open the program manually, you can turn on the oculus program/headset simply by moving something in front of the proximity sensor. Within 5 seconds the light turns white and opens up the home program, after the sensor it triggered. (the sensor is behind the little shiny plastic square right below the amber/white light.)

Anonymous
Not applicable
@OpticKing Nice! Thanks for that!  😄

Warbloke
Superstar
jeez, if I went to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity - Id be basically asleep all the time 😕
"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 

milchkuh
Explorer
Any solution to turn off the sleep after 10 minutes?

m.dastagir
Explorer
Looking for this since years now. Any update to never let rift go to sleep?