cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift Cables

Riotsu
Level 4
Rift Cables should go back on the market somewhere, anywhere.
38 REPLIES 38

andysonofbob
Level 7
Hi

So, if you have red line showing on 3 different cables, it's probably not the cables. 

Soz if you have already said this. Have you tried using a different port on your gfx card or plugging in a different output device to test the hdmi input, or a different USB port etc?

Anything up the chain that can be affected by power outs?

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Well power outages definitely wouldn't cause a problem… lightning strikes leading to power cuts are a different matter with transient voltages causing all sorts of problems for electronics, even then unlikely to affect cables themselves. Surge protection is the answer there which everyone should have. Even without surge protection, cables aren't usually affected by strikes except those carrying the majority of the strike to earth. And the PC itself would take the brunt of the transients, not peripherals plugged into it.

USB sockets and the DP/HDMI sockets on the graphics card are a possible area of damage if the cable gets pulled on a regular basis though so care really needs to be allowed for especially as the connections are usually at the rear facing away from the direction of pull.

When I've used my Rift for roomscale, I turn my PC so the rear is facing the centre of the room. It's a shame that the on-board HDMI socket on 'VR-ready' graphics cards didn't catch on as they allowed for front facing break-out connections on the PC. Are there any cards that still have this?

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19042.867)

falken76
Level 13

Riotsu said:

I've had to replace my cable three times in two years, primarily because
the cord no longer works properly after a power outage, which is common
where I live.  So, when the next random power outage happens, I'll no
longer have access to the expensive VR hardware and software purchased
primarily from Oculus

Good lord, it's happened repeatedly?  You should buy a UPS and put your system on that, at least you could shut it down and it won't go through a spike at all.  Your equipment should be fine in that situation.  That being said, I think it's a dick move on Oculus to stop providing those cables.  It screams of Apple with this garbage.  I will never forget using my friends Original Ipad and youtube stopped working and he was told he has to buy the new Ipad 2 for Youtube to work now.  An obvious OTA software update intentionally cut access off to a very popular and heavily used website with the sole intention of enticing the end user to upgrade the hardware so he could continue accessing the content he was using the old device to see.  That's why I never bought apple, they've been that shady since 1976.  It's a shame to see Oculus follows this same approach, though with the greed around today I can't say I'm shocked at all....

Zenbane
Level 16

falken76 said:
I think it's a dick move on Oculus to stop providing those cables.  It screams of Apple with this garbage.  I will never forget using my friends Original Ipad and youtube stopped working and he was told he has to buy the new Ipad 2 for Youtube to work now.  An obvious OTA software update intentionally cut access off to a very popular and heavily used website with the sole intention of enticing the end user to upgrade the hardware so he could continue accessing the content he was using the old device to see.  That's why I never bought apple, they've been that shady since 1976.  It's a shame to see Oculus follows this same approach, though with the greed around today I can't say I'm shocked at all....

Quite a bit of exaggeration there. Oculus has only stopped providing direct accessory purchase from their store. But any Rift still under warranty can get a replacement part. And Facebook is looking to remedy the situation for those outside of the warranty:

So you're against buying any products from companies that are "shady"?? Hmm... then you must not own any vehicles, right? There's few companies more shady than the automotive industry and the oil & gas industry. Some of the worst shadiness is in the Education System, so going to school is a bad idea. Plus, all of healthcare is incredibly shady. So avoiding doctors and medicine altogether might be a good option.
😮

falken76
Level 13

Zenbane said:

falken76 said:
I think it's a dick move on Oculus to stop providing those cables.  It screams of Apple with this garbage.  I will never forget using my friends Original Ipad and youtube stopped working and he was told he has to buy the new Ipad 2 for Youtube to work now.  An obvious OTA software update intentionally cut access off to a very popular and heavily used website with the sole intention of enticing the end user to upgrade the hardware so he could continue accessing the content he was using the old device to see.  That's why I never bought apple, they've been that shady since 1976.  It's a shame to see Oculus follows this same approach, though with the greed around today I can't say I'm shocked at all....

Quite a bit of exaggeration there. Oculus has only stopped providing direct accessory purchase from their store. But any Rift still under warranty can get a replacement part. And Facebook is looking to remedy the situation for those outside of the warranty:

So you're against buying any products from companies that are "shady"?? Hmm... then you must not own any vehicles, right? There's few companies more shady than the automotive industry and the oil & gas industry. Some of the worst shadiness is in the Education System, so going to school is a bad idea. Plus, all of healthcare is incredibly shady. So avoiding doctors and medicine altogether might be a good option.
😮

I don't care about warranty since I'm no longer covered.  I care about being able to continue using my device if the cable goes out.  As of right now, if mine breaks, I'm SOL because I can't buy this proprietary cable anywhere.  It has failed on me two times, I've bought replacements and was fine with it because it's a part that can wear out over time.  I'm against buying products from companies I've decided I don't like, Apple being one of them.  Other companies in the ether having shady business practices only becomes a concern if it directly effects me.

Zenbane
Level 16

falken76 said:
I don't care about warranty since I'm no longer covered.  I care about being able to continue using my device if the cable goes out.  As of right now, if mine breaks, I'm SOL because I can't buy this proprietary cable anywhere.  It has failed on me two times, I've bought replacements and was fine with it because it's a part that can wear out over time.  I'm against buying products from companies I've decided I don't like, Apple being one of them.  Other companies in the ether having shady business practices only becomes a concern if it directly effects me.

Every company I listed has shady practices that directly effect you. And in much bigger ways than a mere electronics cable. Interesting that you take such a strong stance against companies that play such a small role in the grand scheme of things while giving a free pass to companies playing a huge role on both our planet and our daily lives.

But that aside, if yours breaks then you should probably contact Oculus Support so that they can help you. As I showed in the article, Facebook is working towards finding a solution for continued support. That is quite the opposite of being SOL.

inovator
Level 12
A cable that keeps breaking. I stopped using mine as a vine like in the Tarzan movies. Mine no longer breaks.

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I believe this is a supply issue and not an underhanded tactic to force upgrades. I’ve read that the headset connector has been discontinued, but that doesn’t excuse Oculus—they should have made a final buy that included enough cables to cover both warranty and after-market replacement sales. They know how many CV1s are out there, and should’ve had the ability to forecast an appropriate quantity. 

I do hope they sort it out—my own cable is still fine after three-plus years, but I was expecting that I would be able to buy a replacement if I ever needed to, and I do intend to stick with my CV1 until Oculus releases a Rift 2. Oculus promised that the CV1 would continue to be properly supported when they introduced the Rift S, and it reflects poorly on them if they renege on that (not to mention any consumer protection laws that may require it of them). 

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, 3x Samsung Evo 1TB | Startech PCIe 4x USB 3.0 | Startech PCIe 2x USB C 3.1 gen2

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

nalex66 said:

I believe this is a supply issue and not an underhanded tactic to force upgrades. I’ve read that the headset connector has been discontinued, but that doesn’t excuse Oculus—they should have made a final buy that included enough cables to cover both warranty and after-market replacement sales.

I can't find it again, but I did see the info on the company that made the proprietary plug, apparently they did discontinue it.
For all we know, that company may have done to Oculus what Oculus did to us, unavailability without warning.

I'd still be interested in seeing if anybody has used the TPCast cable that is still available for purchase and replaces the Oculus one.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2