cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift DK2 first impressions and troubleshooting

JaviLM
Honored Guest
Hi guys,

I just posted a review of my DK2 with lots of photos, and workarounds for the two most common problems: the OculusVR service crashing, and the OculusConfigTool not detecting the headset.

http://www.lavandeira.net/2014/07/oculus-rift-development-kit-2-review-and-initial-impressions/

Feedback appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

jimbofbx
Honored Guest
Pretty good but your missing the most common issue which is the camera causing the service to crash.

You can unplug the camera which fixes that issue and also fixes games that don't support it.

There is also the sde emulator to work around the crashing while still using the camera. Getting that to work is kind of a pain due to the program files ownership permissions. Also, the batch file that runs the service needs to be ran as an administrator.

Personally I found the camera to jitter a little, which was annoying. There also doesn't appear to be a way to calibrate what is considered "center". Not sure if anyone has had a flawless experience with this

JaviLM
Honored Guest
Good point! I didn't know that unplugging the camera fixes those issues. Do you give me permissions to add your comment to the article?

I didn't experience any jitter with the camera, just whenever I moved outside of the camera's field of view. Moving it further away helped.

jimbofbx
Honored Guest
I might be too close to the camera, I think I'm only 3 feet. I'll try literally 5.

Go ahead and add my comment 🙂

Also Cyber Space is awesome and hilarious. This was my first experience with vr and I can't believe how it makes you feel like your on that ride.