cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift - Playing while high? (No politics please).

WirlWind
Honored Guest
Disclaimer: I want to keep this discussion away from the politics of cannabis / drug use please! Also, if it's not legal where you live, I would recommend not posting anything illegal / incriminating. I am not advocating drug use for others, merely discussing it and how it relates to VR. Consult your doctor before taking a new drug of any kind.

Anyway, on we go:

So a while ago, during a discussion about politics (which we're going to avoid), my brother and I had a few ideas like "what would the rift be like high!? Dude! Woah!" and "Hey, that chick has a nice butt". After agreeding that 'dat ass' was in fact 'godly', we turned back to wondering what VR + drugs would be like.

So I put that question out there; If you have a MMJ card or live in somewhere that has it decriminalised / legal, have you ever tried the rift while super munted?

What was it like? I'd imagine it would be super intense. More importantly, did you notice anything abnormal both during or afterwards?

Feel free to list any stories / experiences you've had with your rift and your (legal) drug of choice. Personally, I won't have my rift in my hands until likely mid September, so I'm kind of feeding off these stories like some kind of hype vampire.
44 REPLIES 44

javdog
Honored Guest
If anyone is going to try this experiment, PM me for some content I need beta'd.

javdog
Honored Guest
"Kzero" wrote:
I have tried a few games/demos on DK1 while enjoying a high. Buddha Clubotron was one of the better ones (someone mentioned there won't be a DK2 version....why?). I plan on testing this further with DK2 in the next couple of days. I really wish I could give HL2, DCS, and ED a try. Sadly, I can't get HL2 to work in VR mode to save my life, DCS isn't compatible with AMD cards /cry, and I don't have the funds for ED at the moment....so those 3 will have to wait :(.

Aria's from Mass Effect 2, the Rift, all I need. I'll be at the bar.

Honored Guest
"jhondidfool" wrote:
Sadly, I'm physically incapable of getting high. Marihuana does nothing to me. But I'll try drunk as a keg when my DK2 arrives. I'll have a bucket close, just in case.

Sorry I have to let you in on the truth like this... that wasn't weed man.

Humans are never immune to the effects of THC and other active Canibinoids. Either you don't know what you're doing or you got ripped off.

uvflyer
Honored Guest
A lot of first timers don't recognize the feeling of being high. They talk and look stoned, but think they aren't. Just after a few tries most completely understand that they are stoned. It takes a few attemps for most people to feel it, however I can not understand that you can't feel it. Eat it if you can, but watch your dose.

I can see why some find it less immersive as well. Watching tv for instance makes me way more objective (or not 😛 ) and I find a lot of programs exaggerated (things from discovery channel f.i. repeating everything they say at least 4 to 5 times).. But if a movie or program is done right it makes it a lot better as wel, will be the same for good games in the rift I hope. Might give it a shot this weekend.

danknugz
Superstar
I got the DK2 yesterday, and usually I'll smoke for these kinds of occasions, in general I like to play video games high. But I try not to smoke during the workweek, you cant smoke everyday or you just get burned out. It takes a lot of responsibility to have really good weed and be able to abstain from it. But its worth it.

Last night I didn't smoke cause I want to get all the nuts and bolts work out of the way, I don't want to be dealing with trial and error bug testing for Oculus DK2 while high. Just running it on my work laptop right now which is decent with an AMD 8970m, but it is plagued by Enduro/Optimus. Hopefully I will be able to sort out the stuttering issues by this weekend, if not I'll have to build a new PC (which I planned on doing anyway, but waiting for x99/dd4/880)
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

WirlWind
Honored Guest
"Kzero" wrote:
DCS isn't compatible with AMD cards /cry, and I don't have the funds for ED at the moment....so those 3 will have to wait :(.

I didn't know that! When I was building this PC, I was building it specifically for VR, so I made sure I had enough grunt in the graphical dept. by slapping in a 7990.

Seems I might need to just buy a 780Ti and sell the 7990 while it's still "on top".

uvflyer
Honored Guest
Yea, to bad DCS isn't for AMD just yet. I recently upgraded to a R9 290 before I got my DK2. Maybe warthunder will work and otherwise I'm going to buy Elite, which I already planned, but then a bit earlier. Saitek X52 incoming 8-)

13thFloor
Honored Guest
I like to bake my goods and avoid anything but air into my lungs these days. So last night made a really good batch of muffin. Ate one, failed on getting everything ready before had as it took an hour to get things running. Bluetooth headset was stuttering badly o had to awkwardly sit with headphones plugged in!!

Anyway fired up Texas Chainsaw Massacre the new one in 3D and watched half of it. It was awesome, this is going to be the new way to watch movies on your own. Could almost become a selfish thing.

Just gotta fix:
1. Resolution needs to be higher. LG G3 and a phone HMD might be enough. Would like see a floating imagine in front of that is pixel for pixel 1080 but that could be far away.

2. Comfort, it could be a little more comfortable when sitting for up to 2 hours with that on your head.

3. Need to sort wireless audio out asap.

4. Need to watch more movies like this!!

I put it down near midnight and had to go to bed. I sleep with earplugs so kept thinking the Oculus was on my head and earphones in as I was falling asleep... weird!!
Intel i920@4ghz, 12gb ram, Windows 7 Nvidia GTX 970 4gb, 120gb SSD, OR Dev Kit 1&2

WirlWind
Honored Guest
"13thFloor" wrote:
I like to bake my goods and avoid anything but air into my lungs these days. So last night made a really good batch of muffin. Ate one, failed on getting everything ready before had as it took an hour to get things running. Bluetooth headset was stuttering badly o had to awkwardly sit with headphones plugged in!!

I started watching a 3d YIFY rip of Avatar, but the compression artefacts are pretty noticeable with the screen.

I've got a 14gb blue-ray rip of the second hobbit movie waiting for me, I expect that to be a much better experience.

(By the way mods, I own both movies but don't have a blue-ray drive on my PC, so I had to get rips instead.)

Anyways, to answer my original question, omg YES! It's tons more immersive!

I had a bit of space cake and did the 5 minute demo of sightline. The moment when space happens... it was very emotional for me. It was the first moment I realized that VR was going to actually finally be a thing. Like, no doubts, this shit is awesome. It was my first time really feeling full on 'presence'.

I also spent about an hour in a hang-gliding sim. That was incredible! Stomach wrenching, but there is nothing like gliding through a valley and dodging rocks / trees at a high speed! Also, Elite: Dangerous. I only got a short playtime, but wow.

I've now got 2 weeks of holidays off study, so I'll be spending a LOT more time in space ^_^

Frito
Explorer
Backer "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey