cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S First Impressions From Pax East 2019

vrgamerdude
Heroic Explorer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zasMh2Nb6Oc

Last week I was given the opportunity to come to Pax East courtesy of Oculus to spend some extensive hands on time with the upcoming Oculus Rift S and Oculus Quest.

In this video I am giving my initial impressions of the Oculus Rift S as I explore a bit of the Stormland demo. I will be talking about the screen, black levels, comfort, lenses, tracking and most likely a few other things along the way.

I hope this helps people who might be asking some of these same questions. I will be sharing deeper thoughts in an upcoming video soon but for now let's discuss the pros and cons of the new Rift S below... I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts! []-)
"I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and it is the headlamp of the oncoming virtual hype train!"
2 REPLIES 2

Good first impressions, thanks.

So my take from that is that the visuals overall aren't hugely better but somewhat better given the balance of clarity, reduced godrays but not super blacks. Tracking is better than some doomsday sayers have been worried about? and the downside for you being third party headphone comfort being poor at the moment, in lieu of future purpose designed headphones. Would that be fair?

What's your IPD by the way? I think we're very interested to know what the effects are of adjusting it to the extremes and exactly what those extremes are, given that there seem to be 2 sets of values we're getting, 1 set for recommended IPD range and another set for the limits that the software actually adjusts to, thanks.

Look forward to your in depth vids.

vrgamerdude
Heroic Explorer
Hey thanks for the comment @DaftnDirect.... You nailed it! These were pretty much my thoughts as well. As for my IPD it is right around 66.5 so not too far off from the average of 64. I did speak with several people in line at the  public demo areas and none seemed to have any issues with it and quite a few of them knew what I was talking about when I asked if they saw any distortion in the edges or felt cross eyed due to the IPD setting. I think people are going to be pleasantry surprised at how large the sweet spot is and I think that is making it more tolerable for most people.
"I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and it is the headlamp of the oncoming virtual hype train!"