cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift Tears

jwilkins
Explorer
I was thinking about how one might make a Japanese style galge (girl game), which led me to think about my favorites which are Clannad and Kanon, but then I realized that those games make you cry like a little girl.

Is making people cry emotionally while wearing the Oculus Rift going to be a serious problem?

Will people drown?
(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
"jwilkins" wrote:
Will people drown?

Haha, that got a laugh out of me. I actually think this issue was brought up once or twice, and general consensus is that it shouldn't be a problem at all. Even if tears get on the lenses it wouldn't really get into any vital electronic pieces. I actually read of someone who accidentally dropped their rift in a bucket of water and it still worked.

jwilkins
Explorer
I'm not worried about hurting the rift. I'm worried if you can cry in virtual reality without having to take off your HMD.

If not, I think that is actually a rather interesting limitation. Even the amazing equipment imagined in Ready Player One seems to not be capable of handling the situation if players get emotional. The characters go so far as to shampoo in depilatory chemicals so they don't grow body hair so they get better haptic feedback, but what do they do about their tear ducts?

You can't wipe your face.
(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻

Jose
Heroic Explorer
Maybe you can stuff some small sponges into the HMD. :idea:

DokoMaster
Honored Guest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUkCIUMEHp8

I can imagine it already

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9fvnSkSC90

People who have played these know what I am talking about.

Madaras
Expert Protege
"jwilkins" wrote:
The characters go so far as to shampoo in depilatory chemicals so they don't grow body hard so they get better haptic feedback...

Are you saying the chemicals will make their bodies soft, or prevent from growing body hair...if so I need some of that, I look like a grizzly bear! RAWR!

Walky
Explorer
"jwilkins" wrote:
The characters go so far as to shampoo in depilatory chemicals so they don't grow body hard so they get better haptic feedback

Seems like the next step after trimmed eyelashes 😮

"jwilkins" wrote:
but what do they do about their tear ducts?

Nothing a little surgery can't fix 😛

jwilkins
Explorer
"Madaras" wrote:
"jwilkins" wrote:
The characters go so far as to shampoo in depilatory chemicals so they don't grow body hard so they get better haptic feedback...

Are you saying the chemicals will make their bodies soft, or prevent from growing body hair...if so I need some of that, I look like a grizzly bear! RAWR!

Oops! What follows is just minor details, but I'll spoiler them just to protect people who really hate spoilers.
Actually in the book he started out getting kind of flabby because he was poor and had a government supplied rig for going to school. But in the middle he got rich online and could afford an incredible setup and he used a program that monitored everything he ate and forced him to exercise (in VR of course) if he got too fat. He ended up being rather buff and in shape despite spending most of his time online and never going outside (to the point than before he did go outside he took xanax in preparation for the anxiety).
(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻