cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift VS Sony HMZ-T1

RaveTZ
Level 3
As a day 1 owner of a Sony HMZ-T1, I'm curious how the Oculus Rift stacks up to Son'ys flagship 3D Display. I kicked in for the Oculus Rift the first day it was available and hope to see my HMD soon (crosses fingers).

Back when the HMZ-T1 came out, I posed a video of the device running World of Warcraft and Skyrim using a TrackIR 5 for head tracking. These games didn't support TrackIR natively so I was limited to mouse emulation. Still, the effect was nice.
http://youtu.be/5OLCFMBWT6I

The biggest issues I had with the HMZ-T1 was
    Comfort
    Eye Strain
    Price
    Lack of Head Tracking
    Perceived POV (first person VS sitting in a theater)
    FOV

I loved the OLED display, native HDMI 3D support, resolution, and the surprisingly decent headphones.

When I get my Oculus Rift, I will give a full rundown on my findings (I imagine the Rift will blow the HMZ away other than resolution).

Does anyone already have both and be willing to shed some light on the two? (Cybereality?)
14 REPLIES 14

LZoltowski
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

kevinw729 said:

But for all that - hearing a leading Sony exec state that they will not block PSVR usage on PC, (not encourage), but not block, is at least a glimmer of some sense internally.

I didn't know that, it would be a good move for them. Microsoft is doing it right as well, with that announcement that XBOX games would be developed in a way that they can run on Windows too.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

kevinw729
Level 15

LZoltowski said:
...Microsoft is doing it right as well, with that announcement that XBOX games would be developed in a way that they can run on Windows too.

I really want to see if the rumors about XBoneS VR interest will be an offshoot division partnered with OVR, and how many execs would jump ship to that in a reverse Valve style exodus?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

LZoltowski
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I think it would be a smart move for MS to partner with Oculus, they would save on R&D ... the only thing I am wondering is if the partnership wont happen because Oculus is owned by Facebook?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

r00x
Level 5
Woa, woa, woa... What's this about the HMZ-T1 having higher resolution? That's garbage.

HMZ-T1 has about 1280x720 per eye, as I recall. 0.921Mpix per eye.

Rift CV1 has 1080x1200 per eye - or 1.296Mpix per eye. That's 1.4 times as many pixels.

It is more accurate to say the "perceived" (or should I say, "angular"?) resolution of the Rift is lower simply because it's higher-resolution output is spread out over a far greater field of view than the Sony headset.

Other things @RaveTZ will notice over the HMZ-T1 combined with TrackIR:

The head tracking of the Rift is rock solid. I mean ROCK solid. It blows what you demonstrated in your HMZ-T1 video out of the water. There is no clunky inaccuracy or perceivable latency (I can't perceive any, at least). It just feels like... well, turning your head. Turn your head to either side right now; that's what the Rift is like for head tracking.

Comfort is there, although it can take some time to get used to the way the headset is fitted. 

Eye strain will depend on your eyes, frankly. The focal distance of the Rift (correct me if I'm wrong) is around 2m if I recall. If you can look comfortably at stuff from that distance, you should be OK. Obviously this precludes that you are not strained by the angular resolution being what it is. The whole point of these VR headsets though is to make the virtual world you see through them feel natural and thus convincing, so a comfortable experience is what they have been designed for. The challenge is everyone is different, so this is a very hard problem to solve, but I think the ones on the market right now do an awesome job overall.

The field of view, as discussed, is vastly bigger than the HMZ-T1. This will have a deep effect on immersion and I agree with the others saying it's the difference between feeling like you're watching an experience and actually experiencing it for yourself. That said, the field of view could always be bigger!! A bigger FOV and even higher resolution are my two greatest wished for the next gen headsets, whenever they should emerge.

kevinw729
Level 15

r00x said:

The head tracking of the Rift is rock solid. I mean ROCK solid. It blows what you demonstrated in your HMZ-T1 video out of the water. There is no clunky inaccuracy or perceivable latency (I can't perceive any, at least). It just feels like... well, turning your head. Turn your head to either side right now; that's what the Rift is like for head tracking.
I concede many of your points @r00x - though we have to understanding the great distance in development time between a HTZ-T1 and a CV1. If only Sony had not been side tracked just think what a HMZ-T9 would be in comparison to a CV1 now!

Regarding tracking though you are being slightly specious. As the HMZ series did not come with tracking built-in most applications are aftermarket DiY approaches. Some good some bad.

But the good ones were very good indeed, and using the Polhemus approach some of the reactions were comparable to the tracking seen currently (with obvious computer performance issues).

I know it is uncomfortable for some here to even mention the names of Polhemus, especially as the optical against magnetic tracking debate seems to engender such passion - but as an aftermarket solution to get a 3D viewer to be a strong VR HMD it did work a lot earlier than any of the n00bs now!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959