cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift and tablets/smartphones

Lukas
Honored Guest
Hi to all

I have a question about Oculus Rift and the integration with tablets/smartphones. Is it possible to connect it to those hardwares? I know that there is no integration with Androids and iOS but maybe someone managed to make it work?

And what about the tablets with Windows OS? If the Oculus is working with Windows and has all the drivers, can it work with tablets/smartphones with this operating system?

Cheers,
Lucas
4 REPLIES 4

Thoth_The3x
Explorer
Already working on it: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=652

KuraIthys
Honored Guest
To the first question...

Have a look around the forums. I've seen someone put together a demo running on an android device.
It's very limited so far, and I'm not sure if the head tracking works...
But it shows what's possible.

As to the second point, if you have a tablet that runs windows, I assume the rift should work fine with it if the drivers work.
Not all tablet version of windows run on X86 processors though, and some don't seem to let you install normal windows applications.

But assuming the normal windows applications that run on windows laptops and desktops will run on a windows tablet, there's no reason why the rift wouldn't work unmodified as well. (Assuming the tablet has USB and either hdmi or DVI out of course.)

IOS... I have no idea about. It's probably possible as well, but like the android case someone would have to figure out drivers and apps for it.
IOS is less open though, so the required info and modifications might be more difficult to accomplish.
Then again, I wouldn't really know. - I've never so much as used an IOS device for more than about a minute or so...

Lukas
Honored Guest
Thanks for fast reply.

I was thinking about something like the nVidia GRID - cloud gaming. To start a game on a server, stream the video to a tablet/smarthpone and to the Oculus Rift. But I assume that it must me programmed to work with Android/iOS/tablets with Windows. So, I can make a good qaulity game and stream just the video. But on the other side the head-tracking signal must be send from the tablet/smartphone to the server.

Do You think I can be done ?

Felix12g
Honored Guest
Big issue with VR is always the latency, if you're streaming you're introducing more on top of what's there already. So while its technically feasible, I don't know that the experience will be all that great.
Code Monkey