cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift on 980M

AntDX316
Honored Guest
can it be done with smooth frame rate on ultra at native res?
32 REPLIES 32

gtvevo
Explorer
"Bendak" wrote:
"gtvevo" wrote:

Reason why I stated with optimized vbios, the 980m vbios is crippled with a power limit and not optimized For effeciency. Kind of one of the prizes you get like the 970 being short on vram 3.5 instead of 4. At least it easily correctable on the 980m via code.

In case you wonder here is one of my 980m at stock clocks. Gfx score of 10509 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7443773

That's impressive, but even after your bios mods that graphic score is still quite a bit below a stock 970.

Not trying to put you on the defensive. Just don't want someone finding this via Google and thinking their laptop will be fine. Maybe if it has no Optimus and they mod the bios it could be, maybe not. All we know is oculus won't be supporting it, at least not right now. I hope you get it to work out as VR laptops would be handy especially for room scale stuff.

Ya I understand the Oculus support rules and I can't really blame them as it could be a complete storm of misunderstanding. But that score is right at a stock 970 +/- all other vars.

Thanks for the compliments but I wasn't impressed until I broke over 24k in graphics with two cards which was accomplished. http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7333219 not bad for something you can toss in a bag and go.

I know many people are asking about laptops so hopefully end of March I can relay the entire experience.

BanditCat
Honored Guest
I have a Sager np8678 which has a 980m and I've been happily gaming for about a week now.  I had to get a 4k hdmi to displayport adapter, and some games require you to decrease the pixels-per-display-pixel in the debug tool, but overall it has been a very positive experience. I just dropped another 50$ on software today.

spence153
Honored Guest
OK I have and Alienware 17 and my Oculus Rift works Great!! no issues
here are my specs
Alienware 17
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 980M with 8GB GDDR5
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HK (Quad-Core, 8MB Cache, Dynamically Overclocked up to 4.1GHz)
Windows 10 Home (64bit) English
32GB Dual Channel DDR4 2133Mhz (16GBx2)
1TB PCIe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)