cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Ripped me off

tahir_sheikh_10
Honored Guest
I placed an order on May May 03, 2017 for Oculus Touch, Oculus Rift, Oculus Remote extra Sensor. Total cost about $1,000.00. Oculus has received the amount on the day I placed the purchase - May 03. However, I've yet to receive any products! 

Oculus claims they have sent the products to my address. however, the boxes arrived EMPTY! no oculus products inside. I immediately advised Oculus of this, unfortunately the response I received from oculus is listed below. 

"
 I would suggest that you reach out to the individual who signed for the units. It's possible they removed the units from their boxes before you arrived home" 

Basically indirectly accusing one of my family members of "stealing". Little did these idiots know, I live with my wife only, but I signed for the package myself.

The package that arrived did not had any oculus products, The boxes had no oculus products but were not completely empty. The boxes were filled with bunch of "brown" paper densely packed. I explained to the oculus team via e-mail that when I open the door to receive the boxes they were already on the ground and the first thing driver from UPS asked was name and when I confirmed my name, I was given their electric device to sign, once signed the driver left immediately. Notice at this point I've not had to lift the boxes nor have had the chance to inspect. Partly because I've never had issue of this magnitude for the past 10 years that I've been shopping online, but also because I am not a freaking expert on how much the oculus produtcts "suppose" to weigh!

One of the products lists on ups website that it was not even delivered to my house - Oculus has refuse to compensate me for even that product. 

Today is June 5, 2017 - I'm out of pocked for almost $1,000.00. I don't have anything from Oculus. I worked for over 5 months, saving every penny only to robed by Oculus. This multi billion dollar company owned by equally multi billion dollar company have robbed me blind. 

The have not done anything to this date to help me. They have no customer service number for me to speak to someone, just e-mail. 

34 REPLIES 34

nalex66
MVP
MVP

If I say "significantly not as described" and return the boxes with brown papers then that means I did receive something but return back nothing, and my case is done at that point. 

No, it means you've returned back exactly what you received--boxes full of brown paper. That is what they delivered, and it is significantly not what you expected. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable
Agree with nalex66. Im sorry man. It doesn't seem like Oculus to do this. I mean when they check in the box they have to weigh the box - so the box itself had to weigh a size. If it seems like then there was no item and you could fight with that information. If there was some weight to the box - then it happen with the shipper, but you are stuck in a cat and mouse game as you saw. I would do what everyone else said and do a charge back. I mean someone has to play ball here and I would do it sooner than later.

It sucks, but it happens all the time even with the great Amazon sadly.

falken76
Expert Consultant

"significantly not as described" is an item that is damaged, fake, or missing pieces as in not a complete item. Empty boxes or a box without any purchased/received items is "no items received" this is according to my CC company. 

So If I say 
"significantly not as described"  that would mean that I have received the item or at least part of it and would have to return it back. I have not even received a part of the item, no fake, not even a single piece. 

If I say 
"significantly not as described" and return the boxes with brown papers then that means I did receive something but return back nothing, and my case is done at that point. 

If I say nothing was received but they determine otherwise from the tracking number then my case is also done at that point. 

FML 

Ok.  I've worked for both Amex and UPS, I know how they both handled these disputes.  Oculus needs to file a claim with UPS.  They would most likely have a huge account with UPS.  It sounds like it was stolen in transit.

Ernimus_Prime
Heroic Explorer
Good luck dude.  But before you hate post.  Get all the facts.  You make out like Oculus stole from you.  I'm willing to bet someone between when oculus shipped it and your house. They stole it.  Just hope oculus recorded the SN and when they try and use it.  It gets bricked. As it is stolen. All the best. 
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI), Ryzen 7 3700x, 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3600 MHZ. SSD XPG 8200 pro 1 TB. WD Black 4 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. MSI VENTUS 3 RTX 3080 OC, Primary: MSI MAG274QRF-QD 2nd monitor: Acer Predator XG270HU 1440p@144 hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. Corsair rm750x PSU. Rift S.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I'm not sure what happened here, but why don't you send me a PM and I can look into it. I seriously doubt Oculus sent you an empty box, but I'll see what I can find.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Tattoo_Dude
Expert Protege
"Significantly not as described" means exactly what it sounds like. It does not imply you received the product, it implies that what you received, whether an empty box, a broken product or a box of corn flakes, is not what you purchased. 

I work in a business that ships product every day and these are the most difficult situations to deal with because no one is at fault (company wise anyway) and the customer in the end is the most expendable to take the hit. That is why you have to do the footwork to get things done right. UPS doesn't care and Oculus won't either and as far as their numbers are concerned, everything went down exactly as it should have. You are a faceless single number in a ledger of millions. So, in the end, do the footwork or accept that someone stole your stuff, but that is really up to you. If I were you, I'd fight and file everything I could to make it happen.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I totally agree with @Tattoo_Dude there is no way I would just accept a 1000 dollar loss. All guns would be blazing until a resolution to my liking was/is forthcoming. Stick with it mate !!!!
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

tahir_sheikh_10
Honored Guest
There's no way I'm just going to sit back. I've made an appointment to visit my local bank branch and will be explaining in detail. Someone has to do something to help, Oculus or UPS. 

If this is how Oculus treats their customer where I'm left to deal with this on my own as Oculus basically told me when they accused someone from my house to have stolen the items, then what does that say about OCULUS as a company. 

I'm very very frustrated and hoping the bank can help me as my last resort. 

Thank you all for your input and support! 

falken76
Expert Consultant
What that says is that the rep you talked to either by email or on the phone is implying that someone, either you, or someone you know must have the package.  I.E.  they're most likely not buying the story or they'd just file the claim with UPS for you, but the right claim must be filed.

Here is the reality for all involved in credit cards:

Item not received is disputable by verified tracking that shows something was delivered to the zip code of the recipient.

Item not as described has almost no protection whatsoever (for the merchant).   A merchant account will in many cases charge a fee to the merchant as a penalty for even having the chargeback, that's why paypal will charge you $20 additional dollars when you lose a chargeback with them.

Debit cards differ from credit cards, their chargeback protections depend on your bank.  The card with the most relaxed dispute process for a consumer is the American Express card, they require no forms being sent back and forth with signature to proceed, they can start it with a rep on the phone in 20 minutes.

I would not want to be Oculus in this dispute if it is filed as Not as described, especially if you used an Amex card.  They have practically no protection from that type of claim.  They do however have a large account with UPS and if they lose the chargeback to the consumer, they can certainly go after UPS and UPS would most likely settle with a "courtesy adjustment" because of the value of the account itself, they do not want to lose a large client over a $1000 dispute regardless of who is at fault.

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee

There's no way I'm just going to sit back. I've made an appointment to visit my local bank branch and will be explaining in detail. Someone has to do something to help, Oculus or UPS. 

If this is how Oculus treats their customer where I'm left to deal with this on my own as Oculus basically told me when they accused someone from my house to have stolen the items, then what does that say about OCULUS as a company. 

I'm very very frustrated and hoping the bank can help me as my last resort. 

Thank you all for your input and support! 

Don't forget to send a PM to @cybereality
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛