cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support

*Last Updated: October 2022

Hi everyone - On the past few release note threads, I've noticed that there are some common questions and misconceptions that pop up each time regarding our software release process. I've put together this FAQ to help explain how our rollout process works. If there are additional common questions in the future, I'll add to this post here. Please let us know if you have any feedback or additional questions, and I'll do my best to answer what I can!

(Edit 11/20: Added Q&A about recent software release version numbering alignment.)

Oculus Software Releases FAQ

Q: The release notes have been posted, but I have not yet received the latest update. Why not and how do I get it?

A: With each software update, we roll out the release gradually to ensure stability of the software. When release notes are posted, this signals that we have begun rolling out the software update to a percentage of users. Assuming everything looks good as we monitor the rollout progress and initial user feedback, we continue rolling out the software update to a larger percentage of users until it is rolled out to everyone. This typically occurs over the course of a few days. One exception here is the PTC (public test channel). For more information on these PTC programs, check them out here: Rift PTC and Quest PTC.

Q: What is the PTC (public test channel) and how can I opt in?

A:
The PTC is a release channel where you can try out and provide feedback on an upcoming software update before it is released to everyone. Again, for more information on these PTC programs and to see how you can opt in, check them out here for more details: Rift PTC and Quest PTC.

Q: How do automatic software updates work on Meta Quest?

A:
If there is an available update for your Meta Quest device, it will download the update automatically if the device is on and in sleep mode. If you are currently using your headset or it is fully powered off, it will not download the update during that time. The next time the device is powered on and left in sleep mode, it will download the update. We recommend plugging your device in to ensure that it has enough power to complete the update process. Alternatively, you can use the new manual software update option to search for an available update.

Q: Someone in my region has received the latest software update, but I have not. Why?

A:
Rollouts are not determined by region. Rather, we start each rollout with a percentage of our global users and ramp that percentage up over time. Other users in your region receiving an update is not a good signal that the update should be available for you as well, but you can typically expect to receive the update within a few days.

Q: How can I provide feedback or receive support on an issue I’m experiencing with a recent software update?

A:
If you are running into an issue for which you need support, please first head to our support center and see if we may have already documented some troubleshooting steps for your particular issue. If that does not answer your question, please use the Contact Us link to open up a ticket with our support team. You can also Submit a Bug Report using the steps outlined here.

Finally, if you simply wish to leave feedback in the form of a feature, functionality, or enhancement request, please head to the Oculus UserVoice channel and send us your idea!

34 Comments
kevinwarhaft
Adventurer
ill have to see if i get update 11 this week on my oculus go 
Ubedead
Honored Guest
cv1 microphone does not work with voice attack software shows as mic muted.Now what?
ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support

Ubedead said:

cv1 microphone does not work with voice attack software shows as mic muted.Now what?

This report is better suited for our customer support team to help troubleshoot. I recommend opening a ticket here: https://support.oculus.com/885981024820727/
RattyUK
Trustee

Ubedead said:

Have you checked your Sound Devices Control Panel - V12 added both 'virtual' headphones and microphone - set as Default - resetting default to whichever you use fixes it.  Oculus then 'uses' its device and resets on exit to the set default.
jmalmsten
Adventurer
So... Uhm... I've been reading that controllerless hand tracking will be on v12 for Quest. Which is supposedly rolling out this week.

I am still on v11. I still see no trace of environments or most other new features that are supposed to be there. I have read the posts that state the nebulous "will be rolled out in the coming weeks"... I am just curious... When is it a bug and not a delay? Is there a cutoff date when we should be expecting to have all Quests up to date?

And even if I get v12 in the coming seconds... Does that imply anything about me being able to use the new features? Or is it basically a game of roulette that determines who of the paying customers are worthy? And the rest will simply have to wait until someday, maybe we can use a feature that is being advertised as imminently available but not even an asterix mentioning the potential random-based rollout? 

And... Is the final environments update needed before v12 and the handtracking it promises? 

I just want to know if I'm wasting energy expecting to be able to try out new features before... Say... February 2020.
donkeyhigh
Honored Guest
If the newer versions are released to the public in batches, do you have any idea about the time-frame between each batch? Like, is it a small percentage every 5 minutes, or like a bigger one every 4 hours? I would just like to know in chase it's closer to the latter, so I don't keep checking my Quest for updates every 10 minutes...
damnKris
Honored Guest
Manual update checks should bypass the rollout delay, dedicated users should get the update straight away.
jmalmsten
Adventurer

damnKris said:

Manual update checks should bypass the rollout delay, dedicated users should get the update straight away.

Please do define "dedicated users". How does one get elevated from "enthusiastic" to "dedicated" to get access to updates that normally aren't available with "check for updates".
BenMcLean
Protege
Three important issues of feedback I'd like to bring up:
1. If the Quest firmware update isn't ready then the PC Oculus app update shouldn't be out either! The two releases have to be synchronized if either one breaks Link!
2. People need to have a way to downgrade to old versions if the new versions have problems!
3. This gradual rollout crap is ridiculous. It's software. Just post it or don't.
strqaz
Explorer
So I have my Quest and Desktop are both in v12 yet I still don't have the hand-tracking option in the quest under the experimental tab, just the bluetooth connection option. Already rebooted twice and even left the quest turned off for sometime (while plugged in). Is there a step that I missed or a possible bug happened?

MattC2510
Explorer
Link was ok until i updated to V12, seem to be on a loop with desktop app, tried setup again on desktop app and told me to update graphics card drivers which i already done and still nothing.  I have noticed that nvidia pops up and says cannot find nvidia control panel, never had that before.
Anonymous
Not applicable
We seriously need a way to backtrack firmware updates, the latest update has not only broken a lot of headsets but ruined the smooth gameplay we had before 12.0. 
Richooal
Consultant

We seriously need a way to backtrack firmware updates, the latest update has not only broken a lot of headsets but ruined the smooth gameplay we had before 12.0. 

V12.0 is not a firmware update, it's an Oculus Software update.
Firmware updates are pushed separately with their own unique version number.
TheXReal
Protege

Richooal said:

well he/she didn't say the v12.0 update was a firmware update, he/she just said that the update to V.12 gave us problems..

but it's true after the Oculus V.12 update a lot of problems just came.
not saying it's the software update but it's more the firmware update it came with that basically broke the performance for most oculus users.
Richooal
Consultant

TheXReal said:

Richooal said:

well he/she didn't say the v12.0 update was a firmware update, he/she just said that the update to V.12 gave us problems..

but it's true after the Oculus V.12 update a lot of problem just came.
not saying it's the software update but it's more the firmware update it came with that basically broke the performance for most oculus users.

In fact, both the CV1 and the Rift S are having issues, however, the CV1 did NOT get a firmware update. The firmware update was only for the Rift S.
TheXReal
Protege

Richooal said:

TheXReal said:

Richooal said:

but it's true after the Oculus V.12 update a lot of problem just came.

In fact, both the CV1 and the Rift S are having issues, however, the CV1 did NOT get a firmware update. The firmware update was only for the Rift S.

True i guess, but if the CV1 didn't get a firmware update then the problem must be on the software update or a failed firmware push. (idk)
but well the only thing we really can do ATM is wait and see if they come up with a fix that will fix both headsets.
just sad that this update basically kills it for most people and the new VR players (if they get this problem)
Dishmonkey
Honored Guest
Currently not using Oculus because it refuses to install (failed update & went for a complete re-install, fails that too) PC is up to date. Oh well, no Oculus for a while.
Fedoriya
Honored Guest

Currently not using Oculus because it refuses to install (failed update & went for a complete re-install, fails that too) PC is up to date. Oh well, no Oculus for a while.

im having the same issue. i had an issue with the driver update around the beginning of the month, and i cant reinstall the software. anyone else having this issue?
Fedoriya
Honored Guest

Fedoriya said:

im having the same issue. i had an issue with the driver update around the beginning of the month, and i cant reinstall the software. anyone else having this issue?

71u5yvnchg30.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes everybody is having that issue and tech support is no help they just told me they would get back to me in 3 or 4 days seems crazy to me I wish I could get my money back on all the software I purchased and dump this worthless paper weight
Dishmonkey
Honored Guest
Bad time of the year to roll out updates
Fedoriya
Honored Guest

Acedout1 said:

yes everybody is having that issue and tech support is no help they just told me they would get back to me in 3 or 4 days seems crazy to me I wish I could get my money back on all the software I purchased and dump this worthless paper weight

honestly, i never should have bought this damn thing. i should have just gotten a vive. Leave it to a company owned by facebook to have shitty business practices.
bunynin
Honored Guest
Я тоже завис на обновлении и растерян
Romario174
Honored Guest
Ну как я понимаю, работать уже ПО не будет?
Fedoriya
Honored Guest
still having the same issues, any updates?
S_Gray
Honored Guest
Приложение Oculus выдаёт ошибку "Не удаётся связаться с сервисом Oculus"

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

Вы можете получить помощь, если вы пишете на английском языке
Narnia12
Honored Guest
On the off chance that the more up to date forms are discharged to the general population in bunches, do you have any thought regarding the time allotment between each group? Like, is it a little rate at regular intervals, or like a greater one at regular intervals? I might simply want to know in pursue it's nearer to the last mentioned, so I don't continue checking my Quest for refreshes like clockwork...
onmyway128
Honored Guest

Fedoriya said:

Fedoriya said:

71u5yvnchg30.png

me too ! 

But When I update my windows7 to Win10 .It can install! 
Icepick869
Protege
In many of the release notes there are features with this: "Please note that this feature is only available to a percentage of users at this time."
How would a person volunteer to be part of this release group? I would like to be part of it. 
Kentobi
Heroic Explorer

In many of the release notes there are features with this: "Please note that this feature is only available to a percentage of users at this time."
How would a person volunteer to be part of this release group? I would like to be part of it. 

It’s not a separate beta group - they roll out updates and feature gradually and apparently randomly. Doesn’t seem to be tied to geography. It can be frustrating, but v15 was prevented from rolling out fully because of bugs. 
CalistheniK
Honored Guest
Mich würde mal Interessieren wann endlich das Scoreboard zur Verfügung steht. Resp. Zum Download bereit ist?
BigJimHunter
Sightseer

Kentobi said:

It’s not a separate beta group - they roll out updates and feature gradually and apparently randomly. Doesn’t seem to be tied to geography. It can be frustrating, but v15 was prevented from rolling out fully because of bugs. 

I think I am having one of those bugs... Sensors are not working at all and I did a refresh of Windows. Now I cannot install my rift because I am stuck at the "Sensors checking..." portion of the install.
TrumpDunhill
Explorer
thanks for the info