cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support

*Last Updated: October 2022

Hi everyone - On the past few release note threads, I've noticed that there are some common questions and misconceptions that pop up each time regarding our software release process. I've put together this FAQ to help explain how our rollout process works. If there are additional common questions in the future, I'll add to this post here. Please let us know if you have any feedback or additional questions, and I'll do my best to answer what I can!

(Edit 11/20: Added Q&A about recent software release version numbering alignment.)

Oculus Software Releases FAQ

Q: The release notes have been posted, but I have not yet received the latest update. Why not and how do I get it?

A: With each software update, we roll out the release gradually to ensure stability of the software. When release notes are posted, this signals that we have begun rolling out the software update to a percentage of users. Assuming everything looks good as we monitor the rollout progress and initial user feedback, we continue rolling out the software update to a larger percentage of users until it is rolled out to everyone. This typically occurs over the course of a few days. One exception here is the PTC (public test channel). For more information on these PTC programs, check them out here: Rift PTC and Quest PTC.

Q: What is the PTC (public test channel) and how can I opt in?

A:
The PTC is a release channel where you can try out and provide feedback on an upcoming software update before it is released to everyone. Again, for more information on these PTC programs and to see how you can opt in, check them out here for more details: Rift PTC and Quest PTC.

Q: How do automatic software updates work on Meta Quest?

A:
If there is an available update for your Meta Quest device, it will download the update automatically if the device is on and in sleep mode. If you are currently using your headset or it is fully powered off, it will not download the update during that time. The next time the device is powered on and left in sleep mode, it will download the update. We recommend plugging your device in to ensure that it has enough power to complete the update process. Alternatively, you can use the new manual software update option to search for an available update.

Q: Someone in my region has received the latest software update, but I have not. Why?

A:
Rollouts are not determined by region. Rather, we start each rollout with a percentage of our global users and ramp that percentage up over time. Other users in your region receiving an update is not a good signal that the update should be available for you as well, but you can typically expect to receive the update within a few days.

Q: How can I provide feedback or receive support on an issue I’m experiencing with a recent software update?

A:
If you are running into an issue for which you need support, please first head to our support center and see if we may have already documented some troubleshooting steps for your particular issue. If that does not answer your question, please use the Contact Us link to open up a ticket with our support team. You can also Submit a Bug Report using the steps outlined here.

Finally, if you simply wish to leave feedback in the form of a feature, functionality, or enhancement request, please head to the Oculus UserVoice channel and send us your idea!

34 Comments