cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Takes Parents VR account and Awards it to a MINOR?

modernTragicome
Explorer
Last year we purchased a Oculus Rift. We tried setting it up but did not do it right.
Then our 16 year old son at the time Linked his email and name to our Family VR account.
Tyver a Oculus Support agent, 7 months later,  takes our account as Parents and gives it to our minor child in a dispute.
Incredible right?
Our child who is now 17, was paid $80 for the game he purchased as he moved to his real fathers home.
They purchased a Oculus also. Then, somehow got into our email/account and transfer it to their email.
Also, we lost the FREE games offered with the headset along with our purchased games.

This decision undermines the Authority of Parents across the USA.

My Mother purchased a Family VR from Oculus Rift for Christmas.

Our son who was 16 at the time entered his information name and email on our account.

For 7 months we have had this account:
Now Support agent TYVER 
7 months later has taken the Parents entire VR account and and handed it over to a MINOR who changed the EMAIL account ILLEGALLY!!

We the Parents have paid our child $80 for the game he purchased as he long longer had access to the VR as he moved to his Fathers house.

We let him make in game purchases using his debit card on our account.

Along with this account there are FREE GAMES linked to the HEADSET.

I am losing my faith that a company is undermining a Parents Authority and GAMING ACCOUNT, this is UNBELIEVABLE

TyverToday at 17:26

Hello William,

Thanks for your patience while I reviewed your case. I'm sorry to hear about this situation, and I'm happy to help clarify some things for you!

As Gage is the person who created the account, and as the payment instrument on the account belongs to Gage, and as Gage has made multiple purchases using his payment instrument, we will allow this account to remain in the possession of the person who created it.

You may feel free to create a new account, or use your currently extant account with login email mulhollandservices@yahoo.com, username modernTragicomedy.

Once you have created your own account, you may feel free to use it as you wish. The account FamilySquad will remain in possession of the original creator of the account, the owner of the account's payment instrument, and the one whom has purchased the content on the account.

Oculus Rift headsets are not necessarily tied to any one account, and you will be able to use your Rift headset without issue on a new account which you created.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

Kind regards,

Tyver

Oculus Support

Here is the kicker about Tyver's decision:

If a person sells a VR set along with account and changes the Email to the new owners, "the Original person who make the Oculus account can then come back anytime later and take back what they sold", incredible to say the least, right?

So for all those Scammers out there this is a GREAT decision as Oculus said "Its their Policy".
Also, for all you parents out there: Oculus doesn't recognize You as an Adult, they treat you as like a Minor....

Believe me I am going to post all over the internet about OCULUS taking a Parents Account and Giving it to their MINOR son!!!!!!

Richooal
Consultant
It seems to me that this is an issue best resolved by you and your son. My sons don't have access to any of my accounts or passwords. I think it's up to you to supervise the setting up of your account, and to keep it secure.

You said "They purchased a Oculus also. Then, somehow got into our email/account and transfer it to their email."

Good luck with getting your account content back. What he did was wrong.

EDit: I see you added more info ........................

TyverToday at 17:26

Hello William,

Thanks for your patience while I reviewed your case. I'm sorry to hear about this situation, and I'm happy to help clarify some things for you!

As Gage is the person who created the account, and as the payment instrument on the account belongs to Gage, and as Gage has made multiple purchases using his payment instrument, we will allow this account to remain in the possession of the person who created it.

You may feel free to create a new account, or use your currently extant account with login email xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com, username modernTragicomedy.

Once you have created your own account, you may feel free to use it as you wish. The account FamilySquad will remain in possession of the original creator of the account, the owner of the account's payment instrument, and the one whom has purchased the content on the account.

Oculus Rift headsets are not necessarily tied to any one account, and you will be able to use your Rift headset without issue on a new account which you created.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

Kind regards,

Tyver

Oculus Support

Given the information in this reply, I can't see what other action they could have taken.
BTW, you really should remove your email address from the forum.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

modernTragicome
Explorer
Anyone who plays your game can access  your account through the headset it seems. Its my step son and he moved to his real fathers house. We believe it was his brother that was at our house accessed our account through the headset and changed the email address, but Oculus, even after reviewing everything made that decision to take our account.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
You need the password to change the email and you need the password to change the password. In other words the one who changed the email, knew the password.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
This is not Oculus faulty but plain old simple slight of hand comminted on your by your step son who wrangled your email and account from you on the sly, and he was very smart to use his own payment details so when the rep looks at the account all they will see is your step sons details all over it on everything, and nothing linked to you, not even a game bought by a credit card with your name on it, so they really have no option because all the proof of ownership is in your stepsons name, that is what the rep has to base their decision on as they have nothing else.

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Believe me I am going to post all over the internet about OCULUS taking a Parents Account and Giving it to their MINOR son!!!!!!

I don't think you'll be getting the desired impact, considering the details of your story. Especially this part, " We tried setting it up but did not do it right."

So the account now belongs to the person who does things right.  The fact that this person is a "minor" is irrelevant. A 16 year old can legally work in the U.S., so age makes zero difference here.

Also, if you're going to post this everywhere... EDIT OUT YOUR EMAIL. You just publicly posted your Email Address tied to your Account for the world to see while typing up a story about a family member who "somehow got into our email/account."  If you go around posting your account details publicly to strangers, then it isn't a great mystery as to how a family member would get in to your account.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Everything that everyone else has said 😄

DrMichaelUSMC
Explorer

Unconscionable and inconceivable! The executives in charge of Facebook and Oculus should be imprisoned for this one!

Seriously? They gave material property that belongs to parents to a minor. That's not legal, anyway you look at it, whatever their policy. As long as they can prove that they are the parents, the company has no choice but to award it to them. Minors don't own anything at all until they turn 18. All of their possessions belong to the parents. As it should be.

That's simply not correct. Minors don't own anything until they turn 18. Just because something is in their name doesn't make it theirs. If the parents take the company to small claims court, I'm betting they will win, and the company will have to pay legal fees. I'm just a Layman, but I would definitely look into it if it were me.