cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Takes Parents VR account and Awards it to a MINOR?

modernTragicome
Explorer
Last year we purchased a Oculus Rift. We tried setting it up but did not do it right.
Then our 16 year old son at the time Linked his email and name to our Family VR account.
Tyver a Oculus Support agent, 7 months later,  takes our account as Parents and gives it to our minor child in a dispute.
Incredible right?
Our child who is now 17, was paid $80 for the game he purchased as he moved to his real fathers home.
They purchased a Oculus also. Then, somehow got into our email/account and transfer it to their email.
Also, we lost the FREE games offered with the headset along with our purchased games.

This decision undermines the Authority of Parents across the USA.

My Mother purchased a Family VR from Oculus Rift for Christmas.

Our son who was 16 at the time entered his information name and email on our account.

For 7 months we have had this account:
Now Support agent TYVER 
7 months later has taken the Parents entire VR account and and handed it over to a MINOR who changed the EMAIL account ILLEGALLY!!

We the Parents have paid our child $80 for the game he purchased as he long longer had access to the VR as he moved to his Fathers house.

We let him make in game purchases using his debit card on our account.

Along with this account there are FREE GAMES linked to the HEADSET.

I am losing my faith that a company is undermining a Parents Authority and GAMING ACCOUNT, this is UNBELIEVABLE

TyverToday at 17:26

Hello William,

Thanks for your patience while I reviewed your case. I'm sorry to hear about this situation, and I'm happy to help clarify some things for you!

As Gage is the person who created the account, and as the payment instrument on the account belongs to Gage, and as Gage has made multiple purchases using his payment instrument, we will allow this account to remain in the possession of the person who created it.

You may feel free to create a new account, or use your currently extant account with login email mulhollandservices@yahoo.com, username modernTragicomedy.

Once you have created your own account, you may feel free to use it as you wish. The account FamilySquad will remain in possession of the original creator of the account, the owner of the account's payment instrument, and the one whom has purchased the content on the account.

Oculus Rift headsets are not necessarily tied to any one account, and you will be able to use your Rift headset without issue on a new account which you created.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

Kind regards,

Tyver

Oculus Support

Here is the kicker about Tyver's decision:

If a person sells a VR set along with account and changes the Email to the new owners, "the Original person who make the Oculus account can then come back anytime later and take back what they sold", incredible to say the least, right?

So for all those Scammers out there this is a GREAT decision as Oculus said "Its their Policy".
Also, for all you parents out there: Oculus doesn't recognize You as an Adult, they treat you as like a Minor....

Believe me I am going to post all over the internet about OCULUS taking a Parents Account and Giving it to their MINOR son!!!!!!

Allowed to legally work does not mean allowed to legally own. Technically, his income and everything he owns still belongs to them until he reaches the age of majority, at which point he owns essentially the clothes on his back and body.

ohgrant
Superstar

No I don't think it would play out like that at all. I'm pretty sure the OP would have to sue the real father, since his mother purchased the Rift for the family. The OP would have the burden of proof that it was his mothers intentions that the Rift was purchased for the family, not the stepson. That would be hard to prove, the grandmother would certainly have to get involved.

I don't think any court in the land would hold Oculus accountable for their family squabbles. The OP is basically stating the stepson stole his Rift and got away with it. 

In this case I would say that whoever is in possession of the Rift and whos account is associated with it, is Oculus has to go by.  Asking Oculus to step in and make a legal decision that only a court of law can make is the real issue here IMO.   

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.