cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus TrayTool - SuperSampling profiles, HMD disconnect fixes (hopefully)

ApollyonVR
Rising Star
Oculus Tray Tool  
current version: 0.87.3

What is it?
In short; It’s a free application that helps you get the most out of your Rift. It is developed by me, ApollyonVR, with the support of the community for beta testing. Please note that this application is not an official piece software from Oculus, I am not affiliated with Oculus in any way. Any issues you
have with this application should be reported to me and not Oculus support. You can reach me here on the forums or by contacting me at ApollyonVR@gmail.com

Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) has many features that will hopefully help you get the very best VR experience. It has options that help you automatically switch audio and microphone to the Rift and back, handle the Oculus runtime service, voice commands, batch import Steam games (added to OTT by the awesome @headkaze over at http://headsoft.com.au), replace icons for your games and more.

It’s primary feature however, is the ability to create “Profiles” for you VR Games and apps.
Within these Profiles, you set how Asyncronous SpaceWarp (ASW) should act, increase the perceived resolution by using Supersampling and increase the CPU Priority of a given app to get the most juice out of your system for that specific application.
Once a Profile has been created for a game or app, OTT will detect when it is started and apply the
profile for it, without the need for taking your headset of.

If you want to have a peek at all the things OTT can do for you before installing the application, check the User Guide pdf. The latest version of this application will always be right below this intro, but the app also checks for available updates on startup.

Enjoy, have fun and please report any issues, suggestion or feature requests to me using the above mentioned methods. Oh, and feel free to buy me a coffee by using the PayPal button in-app. 🙂

The very nice people over at Guru3d.com have been kind enough to host some mirrors for the setups, so make sure to pay them a visit!
-----------

UPDATE 03/08

Hi all!
It's been a while since i released a new version, but now the time has come! 😃
I'm looking for ppl who want to test the new version before public release.
There are primarily changes for the Quest but anyone is welcome to test it.
Just drop an email to ApollyonVR@gmail.com and i'll get you a download link
and some instructions. Also include what type of headset (Rift or Quest)
that you are using.

Also, i now have a proper domain for the website, so swing by www.ApollyonVR.com
and check out the new Forum! If you have questions, comments or suggestions

that is the place to post them. 😃

Below are the release notes for the new version. Please note that this is a Beta version

for testing the new features. If you just want to use a stable version of OTT then head

over to www.apollyonvr.com and simply download the latest version.

Version 0.87.7
* Oculus Dash will now use the same CPU Priority as what you set for OVR Server.
* Added a "Comments" option to Profiles.
* Implemented Paolod29's code for a permanent AirLink (https://github.com/pd29/oculus-airlink-enabler).
* Added more choices to the Quest Link settings for "Bitrate" and "Encode Resolution".
* Added option for "Force Mipmap generation on all layers" on the Game Settings tab.
* Added option for "Offset Mipmap bias on all layers" on the Game Settings tab.
* Added option for "Force Mipmap generation on all layers" to Profiles.
* Added option for "Offset Mipmap bias on all layers" to Profiles.
* Added option for "Encode Dynamic Bitrate" on the Quest Link tab.
* Added option for "Dynamic Bitrate Max" on the Quest Link tab.
* Added "FOV Multiplier" to Profiles. Setting this to a value lower than 1, for example 0.8,
will increase FPS due to less pixels being drawn at the expense of lower FOV.
* When creating a brand new Profile, the current settings from the Game Settings tab will be used.
This will make it even easier to create a new Profile! Simply experiment with different settings
on the Game Settings tab, and when you have found the perfect combo for a given game those
settings are copied over when you click "Create new Profile".

* Added option to Disable profiles.

* Redesigned the Profiles window a bit.
* Fixed some bugs.

Cheers!
1,867 REPLIES 1,867

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

dburne said:

Just fyi latest version is 0.86.6.0.

Ya, I realize that Don and that's what I'm using.  However, the latest manual included with this update is still 86.5.1.  So, probably no big changes in the actual manual imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable

TomCgcmfc said:

Juter said:

Does anyone know what the difference is between ASW Auto and Adaptive mode?

The two are not related.  ASW refers to Oculus ASW method of inserting an extra frame to allow lower end pc's to maintain a smooth fps.  There are a number of ASW options, including Auto.  Auto does what it sounds like = automatically switches on if you cannot maintain your headset's native fps (= 90fps rift cv1, 80fps rift s, 72fps Quest).  Native fps is related to the headset's refresh rate.  I have a fairly powerful pc with gtx1080ti so I mainly turn ASW = off and I'm still able to run most apps with 2x super sampling with my rift cv1 and 1.3x SS with my Quest 1 or 2 with Link.

Adaptive GPU option has to do with your GPU.  It basically tries to change your resolution in order to maintain a steady fps.  I have not found this very useful so far and I currently disable it globally and in all my game profiles.

Please refer to the latest OTT manual (086.5.1).  Reading this is very worthwhile and would have answered your question imho.  It is located in the folder you installed OTT to.  Usually C:\Program Files\Oculus Tray Tool.  At the bottom you will see the pdf file.

Sorry if I wasn't more clear but in OTT there are options for ASW to be set as at Adaptive or Auto and I was just trying to understand the difference. I know what Adaptive GPU Scaling is. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Juter said:

TomCgcmfc said:

Juter said:

Does anyone know what the difference is between ASW Auto and Adaptive mode?

The two are not related.  ASW refers to Oculus ASW method of inserting an extra frame to allow lower end pc's to maintain a smooth fps.  There are a number of ASW options, including Auto.  Auto does what it sounds like = automatically switches on if you cannot maintain your headset's native fps (= 90fps rift cv1, 80fps rift s, 72fps Quest).  Native fps is related to the headset's refresh rate.  I have a fairly powerful pc with gtx1080ti so I mainly turn ASW = off and I'm still able to run most apps with 2x super sampling with my rift cv1 and 1.3x SS with my Quest 1 or 2 with Link.

Adaptive GPU option has to do with your GPU.  It basically tries to change your resolution in order to maintain a steady fps.  I have not found this very useful so far and I currently disable it globally and in all my game profiles.

Please refer to the latest OTT manual (086.5.1).  Reading this is very worthwhile and would have answered your question imho.  It is located in the folder you installed OTT to.  Usually C:\Program Files\Oculus Tray Tool.  At the bottom you will see the pdf file.

Sorry if I wasn't more clear but in OTT there are options for ASW to be set as at Adaptive or Auto and I was just trying to understand the difference. I know what Adaptive GPU Scaling is. 

Ya, that's a tough one too, lol!  Maybe just try it both ways and see what you think.  For the most part I generally avoid anything 'Adaptive' and prefer to set what I want after actually trying it out.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

FolkSong
Expert Protege

Juter said:

I don't think "Adaptive" ASW mode does anything. It was not included in the options until recently. If I recall correctly, the developer just saw that the option existed in the Oculus driver so included it in the Tool. I suggest ignoring it.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I just tried the new OTT 86.8.0 (see page 1 of this thread) and it seems to work very well.  I'm still on v23 ptc so I'm not sure it works as well with v23 final. I'll test it out a bit more when I finally get this rolled out and report back.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Update (19 Nov 2020);
I'm still waiting for a final v23 update for my Oculus desktop app (I got the v23 update on my Q1 almost a week ago).  When I saw that Ott 86.8 only worked with v23 I  rolled back into the beta PTC and got v23.  I did this a few days ago.  

So far this is working great.  Of course I do not get a 90Hz option because the Q1 does not support this anyway.  I do see  the Oculus app settings/device performance options slider ok, but I'm just leaving this on auto for now (= 1x SS).  I'm currently using the OTT recommended Link tab setting for my gtx1080ti (low distortion, recoding res = 3648, bitrate = 500). 

I'm then using OTT's recommended SS for my gpu to set Global SS to 1.3.  Also, asw = off and no auto scaling.  I then just use OTT game profiles to adjust things for different apps.  Some apps work best with slightly higher SS, some a bit less.  Also, some apps work better with different asw settings.  I'm also using the OTT startup setting to use Oculus virtual audio and this seems to work very well for me.  When I call up the Oculus Debug Tool all my OTT settings seem to have transferred over fine.  Same goes when checking HUD readouts.

Sorry but there is no magic bullet settings for all.  Depending on your PC, Link cable, usb ports, and graphics setting, you just need to experiment to see what works best for you.

Overall, between V23 and OTT, my Q1 with Link is performing so well I may even think about retiring my good old Rift cv1 in the near future.  I never thought I would say this, lol!

For Q2 users with a 1080ti or better I suggest you try encoding res = 3664 and 1.2x SS.  This should help take into account the higher Q2 panel res and better performance of its mobile chip.

ApollyonVR
Rising Star
@TomCgcmfc Awesome info, thanks for testing things out! 😃

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@TomCgcmfc Awesome info, thanks for testing things out! 😃

All work very well but I'm still having a few problems with some apps recognizing game profile SS settings unless I exit and restart them again.  These include; Google Earth VR, Nature Trek, and Toybox.  Maybe others but I have not tested them all.  Changing delay's has not made any difference.  Maybe I'll try lowering cpu priority?

Edit 20 Nov 2020;  Workaround this for me now is to increase my Global to what I want (1.5x SS, asw = off) and then just use game profiles to change games that need higher or lower SS values, and/or asw settings.  I'm fine with this for now.  OTT is a great addon and I'm so glad to have it.  Thanks.

MrRixter
Honored Guest
What happened to this tool? I used to use it with the original rift and everything worked perfectly. Now I'm back in VR with the Rift S and while OTT has some new interface and features it's so unreliable. Profiles, Pixel Density, ASW mode they apply randomly. Sometimes Pixel density applies but ASW mode does not and vise versa. There is also the rare occasion that I start the tool and hotkeys and game profiles also work. What could cause such erratic behavior?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

MrRixter said:

What happened to this tool? I used to use it with the original rift and everything worked perfectly. Now I'm back in VR with the Rift S and while OTT has some new interface and features it's so unreliable. Profiles, Pixel Density, ASW mode they apply randomly. Sometimes Pixel density applies but ASW mode does not and vise versa. There is also the rare occasion that I start the tool and hotkeys and game profiles also work. What could cause such erratic behavior?

Like everything (esp. free stuff) not everything is going to work 100%.  Up to you to either find some work-arounds and/or contact the developer and see if he can help.

For me, global settings (SS, asw, etc) always work but some game profiles do not take the 1st time (generally they do after a game restart).  This only happens in a few of my games like Google Earth and Natures Trek.  My work-around is to set my Global to these settings (ss=2.0, asw= off) and then make and adjust other games accordingly.  Also, I pretty well stick to the basics with OTT.  That is, no hot keys or voice commands.

I've used OTT for a few years now and it's been very useful for me.