cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus brand being retired in early 2022, replaced with Meta

kojack
MVP
MVP

https://www.facebook.com/boz/posts/well-the-cats-officially-out-of-the-bag-our-company-is-now-meta-t...

As part of Facebook's rebranding to Meta, they are going to move all of their products under the Meta brand.

As part of this, the Oculus brand will be discontinued early next year. We'll have the Meta Quest and Meta Quest App.

Meta Horizon will also be the new branding for all first party social experiences. Horizon Home, Horizon Venues, Horizon Friends, and Horizon Profile.

I guess we should be glad it lasted as long as it did.

On the plus side, Andrew Bosworth says: "we’re working on new ways to log into Quest that won’t require a Facebook account, landing sometime next year. This is one of our highest priority areas of work internally."

Ok, the cynic in me is thinking "Yep, it won't need a facebook account anymore, it will be a Meta account!" 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
107 REPLIES 107

...are we spelling Cambria right? everyone seems to have gone with that but I don't think it was spelled out yesterday. You can tell where our interest lies  😉

Edit, I'm guessing it named after the beach area in CA.

Well, Meta_RyanS might not be bad 😉

Interesting how the future will be for the Rift hmds, these might be working for many years to come and work fine in the Metaverse, as they do have much more processing power than future mobile hmds (assuming XR2 won't become 10-20 times faster overnight). 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

That's the correct spelling for the project name. Everything gets a codename/project name while in development. 

Help others find great discussions and answers by adding kudos and marking solutions to your questions.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Does seem we in fact did get a new headset revealed - Zuckerberg directly says the name is Cambria, and it's an advanced high-end and (much) more costly hmd arriving in 2022 - and it's not a Quest hmd (so name will not be Quest Pro or Quest 3) - but Cambria will be compatible with Quest software:

Hmm, watching that vid did improve my mood slightly after the Oculus funeral. New tech providing thinner lenses - and high-res could be interesting. Also if they can track the whole body, then maybe inside-out could finally be ok. I want my hands to be fully tracked, no matter how long I hide my hands on my back, lol. 

Of course all will depend on how great Lone Echo 2 looks and plays in a new hmd 😉

With PSVR2 using oled, interesting what Cambria will use...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

We did, there's obviously expense involved in the pancake lens development and additional tracking tech. Hopefully all other areas get a boost too. I know you're into the audio Rune and I'm fine with piped provided there's a jack.

Definitely would like a 120 deg FOV and proportionate res increase... other than that, if it's as comfy as a Rift-S, I would be set.

I guess Cambria audio could work with some help from Logitech, like they did for Quest 2:

71uCWlsYVmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

- but surely a much greater solution if Meta provided some add-on audio solutions directly for the Cambria. I'm not into piped-audio solutions (which also would not be high-end in any way). Guess we'll have to wait and see. 

And then would be great with a DisplayPort connection 🙂

I think it all depends on the market for the Cambria... I don't think it's meant as an enthusiast headset, really it's for devs and creators to make use of the tech and to try out some innovations.

Quality audio options on the Quest line may in fact make more sense as far as consumer benefits go.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Just a few slightly enhanced pics:

projectcambria-meta-facebook-oculus-1280x720.jpg

The controller

project-cambria-still.jpg

The hmd

Surely it's the same hmd we've discussed before:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/General/Facebook-Leaks-Pictures-of-Prototype-Headset/td-p/888812

Zuckerberg directly said it's an advanced high-end hmd - high-end would imply enthusiast level hmd to me. Many devs can't even afford expensive hmds - I've talked to several indie devs supporting Index even if they could not afford one. I doubt that high-end would be targeted devs - might be targeted enterprises, but probably more consumers wanting a premium solution. 2c.

And great to have the black color confirmed - I greatly dislike white hmds. 

I wonder if they could have some built-in cameras on the battery pack on your backhead facing downward to track your back... Could be a smart way to greatly increase tracking volume. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaftnDirect wrote:

I think it all depends on the market for the Cambria... I don't think it's meant as an enthusiast headset, really it's for devs and creators to make use of the tech and to try out some innovations.

Quality audio options on the Quest line may in fact make more sense as far as consumer benefits go.

Yeah I do not think this is necessarily going to be a PC-VR device for enthusiasts but more of a testing ground for what they might can do with Quest going forward. It will be interesting to see what features it has when they release it sometime next year. And what segment of the market buys into it.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Yes, we shared the video captured from the presentation last night there.

It is a clear attempt to stake a claim in the SeriousVR (High-End PC) scene that is focused for Enterprise and Prosumers (enthusiasts). Speculation on another forums suggested a $999 price point.

It seems to specific, and even had a sequence in the conference where a person delivers a box with the new hardware in it on camera, and then avoid any detail. Suggestions are a last minute change in plans that meant this was left for another presentation (possibly impacted by the supply chain issues we discussed before). 
This new headset will clearly be defense against Pimax 12K, Focus3, Varjo Aero and Valve Index2.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959