cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus brand being retired in early 2022, replaced with Meta

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

https://www.facebook.com/boz/posts/well-the-cats-officially-out-of-the-bag-our-company-is-now-meta-t...

As part of Facebook's rebranding to Meta, they are going to move all of their products under the Meta brand.

As part of this, the Oculus brand will be discontinued early next year. We'll have the Meta Quest and Meta Quest App.

Meta Horizon will also be the new branding for all first party social experiences. Horizon Home, Horizon Venues, Horizon Friends, and Horizon Profile.

I guess we should be glad it lasted as long as it did.

On the plus side, Andrew Bosworth says: "we’re working on new ways to log into Quest that won’t require a Facebook account, landing sometime next year. This is one of our highest priority areas of work internally."

Ok, the cynic in me is thinking "Yep, it won't need a facebook account anymore, it will be a Meta account!" 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
102 REPLIES 102

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I'll always have a soft spot for Oculus and my T-shirt, I think I have a sticker somewhere too.

Just watched the new Quest 2 commercial before the start of the F1 Mexican GP on Sky Sports, brandishing the Meta logo. Can't say I think of the hardware any differently, nor did there seem to be any disconnect with the product. As with previous adverts, it was all about the hardware right up until the end with 'by Facebook' replaced with 'by Meta', shorter words have a cleaner sound to my ears at least but otherwise really no biggie.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v21H1 (19044.1387)

I have a feeling ole Zuckerberg had a smile on his face when he retired the last name associated with Palmer.

Regarding this new Meta Verse he wants to play a role in creating, remains to be seen if that is something that is going to be embraced by the public and take off like he thinks it will.  I am not so sure. At least with strapped on VR Headsets, I don't think it will. Maybe with AR glasses down the road. Should be interesting to watch as it unfolds.

Rift CV1| Rift S| Quest| Reverb G2| Index| Vive Pro 2

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I'd like to see it unfold from within to get a proper idea but no beta invite yet. guess I'll see when everyone else does. Well, everyone else who wants to, I'm guessing that's probably most people with a Meta headset.

It'll depend mostly on the content creators whether people continue to use it. I have a couple ideas but putting the time into developing is the hard part. Anyway, this is probably for a Metarverse thread.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v21H1 (19044.1387)

All this reminds me of when people thought the Internet was just a fad. Rinse/repeat for the upcoming Metaverse.

Why the Web Won't Be Nirvana
BY CLIFFORD STOLL ON 2/26/95 AT 7:00 PM EST
“Today, I’m uneasy about this most trendy and oversold community,” wrote Stoll — speaking broadly of internet users at the time. “The truth is no online database will replace your daily newspaper, no CD-ROM can take the place of a competent teacher and no computer network will change the way government works.”

That was in 1995. Then in 2000...

Zenbane_0-1636332344575.jpeg

Something tells me that History is going to repeat itself. 😊

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Speaking of the Internet and how things change, I found a letter confirming my provider subscription for 1997, no idea why I kept this. Only £106 a year but you had to add the cost of the phone calls while connected.

For any youngsters reading, yes, the Internet in those days was a phone call.

img003.jpg

The 3MB of World Wide Web Space for business and personal use was indeed massive 😐

KlodsBrik
Level 11

Still got my Oculus sticker as well, not used.
 It will for sure be used on the first Meta headset I buy.

Be good, die great !

lol I hadn't thought of that, good idea!

@KlodsBrik wrote:

Still got my Oculus sticker as well, not used.
 It will for sure be used on the first Meta headset I buy.

Love that idea! Now I wish I hadn't used my Sticker on my laptop lol

btw, really nice to see you back on the forum again buddy 😎

Zenbane
Level 15

The rebranding is in full force. As one example, a long time friend of mine who works at Facebook shared some photos of their upcoming summit, where the Meta brand is the spotlight. Facebook's facilities are already getting physical updates to show Meta instead of "Facebook."

Another example is the Facebook App itself. When I loaded it today, it now reads:

Facebook from Meta

It's rather impressive when a global organization can simply rebrand over night. It rarely happens successfully on this scale. Personal opinions aside, this is fairly exciting time to be alive!

Also, I am pretty sure this is the backstory of every Deus Ex game lol

smithfms
Level 2

I was just preparing to buy the Oculus Quest 2 and the new 'game' DEEP and,  while trying to find where to buy DEEP to go with Quest2, came upon this discussion.  (Never did find DEEP anywhere excepting on it's developer site, who suggested it's available on Oculus Store and Steam.)

What happens to owners of, and new buyers of the Quest 2 when this 'change' takes place?  I'd hate to spend $$$ on something that immediately becomes outmoded and useless.  Would you care to comment?