cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus brand being retired in early 2022, replaced with Meta

kojack
MVP
MVP

https://www.facebook.com/boz/posts/well-the-cats-officially-out-of-the-bag-our-company-is-now-meta-t...

As part of Facebook's rebranding to Meta, they are going to move all of their products under the Meta brand.

As part of this, the Oculus brand will be discontinued early next year. We'll have the Meta Quest and Meta Quest App.

Meta Horizon will also be the new branding for all first party social experiences. Horizon Home, Horizon Venues, Horizon Friends, and Horizon Profile.

I guess we should be glad it lasted as long as it did.

On the plus side, Andrew Bosworth says: "we’re working on new ways to log into Quest that won’t require a Facebook account, landing sometime next year. This is one of our highest priority areas of work internally."

Ok, the cynic in me is thinking "Yep, it won't need a facebook account anymore, it will be a Meta account!" 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
107 REPLIES 107

Anonymous
Not applicable

Kind of sad really to see the Oculus brand go away.  It was such a pioneer in the VR gaming and instrumental in helping bringing it into our homes. I just feel there was a lot more left to do there that could have been done. But seeing what they hope to achieve with this direction it is certainly understandable.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I have witnessed so many brands change for so many products and services over the years, across multiple industries, that it really just seems like a natural part of life itself. The image of the snake eating its own tail comes to mind; representing the infinite cycle of birth and death. This type of thing is symbolic of the Evolution of all things.

The reason I chose the Info Tech sector is specifically because it is an ever-changing and ever-growing environment. Out with the old, in with the new. That definitely drives my passions! 😁

The no-Facebook-Login is definitely a warm welcome. Nice to see Facebook listening to all the feedback. And now that they are cornering the Metaverse market with support from other tech giants such as Google and Microsoft, the lack of needing a Facebook Login will most certainly help the Metaverse acquire those 10's of millions of users.

One thing I will say is that while the Oculus brand most certainly was legendary and industry-leading, in the end it really was just all about attracting gamers. As anyone knows who has read my posts/rantings on this forum over the years, I was quite the monotonous parrot regarding my distaste towards VR being so limited to gaming. I always considered it a complete waste of an amazing technological platform.

So to expand far beyond gaming, and the brand (Oculus) that is known for VR Gaming almost exclusively, is a great thing if we are to consider that VR needs to be allowed to showcase its full potential - as opposed to remaining pigeon held by mere video games.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Called by so many observers - and just a matter of time in the making. 

Those that hoped that Oculus brand could survive within Facebook... Meta are sadly found wanting!

Oculus and the team can be proud of what they created, the Quest and Quest2 are fantastic glimpses at what Standalone VR platform can achieve, and we applauded all that honestly supported and developed the brand. A brand we expect will be resurrected in the future.. 

The Facebook... Meta Connect has revealed so much - a return to the black, a return to Enterprise (after the stumbles of Oculus for Business), a return to High-End, and a return MobileVR, and a restructuring of the whole brand they paid $3b for only more than six years ago.

The question has to be - with such momentous developments as "HybridVR" from HP, HTC, Varjo, Pimax, Valve Somnoum and even Oculus and others - what will Sony do to drop the mike?

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

@kevinw729 as before, please try to avoid the trope of using a subject to target 'those that hate' 'those that hoped' 'the usual suspects' etc. No-one is really found to be sadly wanting on this forum.

It's ok to talk about the subject without point scoring especially if the purpose is to target someone in particular to invite the onset of an old argument.

Thanks.

So, my question is....

What is likely to be the first to happen, a re-branded Quest 2 or the Meta Cambria release? I hope it's the latter, early next year, but I have a feeling it'll be the former.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Most mention of the Project Cambria was stripped from the presentation, but luckily the video teaser was captured by those streaming the conference and has been placed on the other post. I will point to the discussion on QuestPro leak as not to anger the duplication lords.

The rebranding of the Oculus operation is taking priority as it was stated in the Tweets following the conference. To quote one Oculus exec "...now the cat is out of the bag"!

We are due some other announcements still covered by the 1st November embargo, but this seems to be related to game agreements with Vertigo and also with a AAA publisher. 

To your... question. The Meta Quest 2 packaging will be seen first, and the web presence will start to change. So from the forums stand point we look forward to an announcement from the Community Moderator at some point.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaftnDirect wrote:

So, my question is....

What is likely to be the first to happen, a re-branded Quest 2 or the Meta Cambria release? I hope it's the latter, early next year, but I have a feeling it'll be the former.

My guess would be probably the Cambria - but not early next year more like toward the end of the year. If it was going to be early I think much more would have been revealed and discussed about it.  I think those who have been wanting a Quest 2 but were holding off in hopes of a successor soon can go ahead with Quest 2 now.

My 2 cents.

desmarins
Explorer

Does that mean this Forum will be soon renamed to "Meta Community" and "Meta Devs"? ... and the logo will be also replaced?

@DaftnDirect I agree, it is probably already in the pipeline and rebranding (new tags, nem logos, new text on manuals, ERP revamped and so on) the same product as it comes out to the market is a more down to earth process. Not a small task but hardly something new. A humongous checklist but that's the way the cookie crumbles.