cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus brand being retired in early 2022, replaced with Meta

kojack
MVP
MVP

https://www.facebook.com/boz/posts/well-the-cats-officially-out-of-the-bag-our-company-is-now-meta-t...

As part of Facebook's rebranding to Meta, they are going to move all of their products under the Meta brand.

As part of this, the Oculus brand will be discontinued early next year. We'll have the Meta Quest and Meta Quest App.

Meta Horizon will also be the new branding for all first party social experiences. Horizon Home, Horizon Venues, Horizon Friends, and Horizon Profile.

I guess we should be glad it lasted as long as it did.

On the plus side, Andrew Bosworth says: "we’re working on new ways to log into Quest that won’t require a Facebook account, landing sometime next year. This is one of our highest priority areas of work internally."

Ok, the cynic in me is thinking "Yep, it won't need a facebook account anymore, it will be a Meta account!" 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
107 REPLIES 107

Never heard of DEEP, and it doesn't show up when searching the Quest store, the Rift store (Oculus PC store), nor Steam. You'll have to go back to the developer's site and look for a link. Please be aware though, there isn't just one "Oculus store"--there are separate stores for each platform, and games that are on PC are not necessarily also available as native Quest apps.

Anyway, there's nothing to worry about for new or existing owners of Oculus hardware--changing the company name does not make anything "outmoded or useless." Meta will continue to sell the same Quest 2 device under the new company name, and existing hardware will continue to work exactly as it does now.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Debug51
Honored Guest

Will we still be able to use oculus products? I ask because I just bought a quest 2

That's a good question. You will still be able to use your Quest 2, you can find more information on what changes are coming by checking in on our public announcement: https://about.fb.com/news/2021/10/facebook-company-is-now-meta/

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

Well we all knew this day was coming, wish i had kept my DK1/2,  but it seems my CV1 has out lived the brand itself.

R.I.P Oculus, thanks for the crazy ride.

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Must be this you was thinking of ?

Be good, die great !

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star

i wonder if i will buy a meta vr next year? 

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

I am calling it now, next Quest HMD will be called The Mesta.

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Let's see the forced Facebook account log-in gone first - and then if Cambria is great I may find it interesting. 

Facebook is still the king of high-end PCVR, no one has made more demanding VR games - like Medal of Honor, Lone Echo 2, Asgard's Wrath etc. I greatly appreciate what Facebook has done, even if I'm not fond of turning from the highest peak to the bottom. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Been reading a bit here and there about Oculus, thought about picking one up, but as long as Facebook is required...  That's a friggin' deal breaker.  Guess I'll be sitting on my hands until that's pulled from the equation.  Any ETA on when that option is coming out?  I don't care what it's called either Facebook or Meta.  As long as the arbitration associated with whatever you brand it is attached, I'm out.  Anyone have suggestions for a different comparable headset?

It's still unknown when the Facebook account requirement will be removed, but could happen any day - my hunch is that it may be removed before summer, maybe at Cambria launch. 

I think your only real choices right now are getting Quest 2 + Facebook log-in or get the Valve Index. But Valve Index is $1,000. You could go for the HP Reverb G2, but you'll need much gpu power for that one. This article is quite good:

https://www.roadtovr.com/best-vr-headsets-in-2020-buying-guide/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"