cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus is Now Powered by Facebook

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
Logging on to Oculus.com now gives you this pop-up.

sjg9y7shz0dw.png
gknb0smwpwnr.png

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

50 REPLIES 50

Luciferous
Consultant

Yep he wouldn't have to worry about getting his gaming blocked but boy wouldn't it be ironic that he had to keep opening Facebook accounts to socialize with us :smile:  I bet he would love that.

I am not saying peoples views of Facebook are right or wrong but I just don't get why some people who absolutely detest them, don't just cut their losses and sell the headset on Ebay. The speculation is over, the Facebook path is clear, time to move on if you hate the vision.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I've always used revive with my legit Oculus account, perhaps then it will work with my legit facebook account when the time comes?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
The Oculus I know has always be powered by Facebook. If it hadn't been, Lone Echo would probably never have happened and same with me buying the Rift. 

Seems we're about to be showered with new threads about subjects already discussed in here by persons who just had some sort of wake-up call...

awakening  Tomboy G

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^Well those who bought a Q2 for whatever reason and have no idea it now requires a FB social media account, now have no where to go for support or answers because the official support site for the Q2 now requires a FB social media account, so they can't come here without a FB account which they either don't or wan't make....so i wonder how many returns retailers are going to see over the next few weeks..........it's going to be interesting to watch this unfold to see if that FB requirement has any impact on sales or returns.

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Yep he wouldn't have to worry about getting his gaming blocked but boy wouldn't it be ironic that he had to keep opening Facebook accounts to socialize with us :smile:  I bet he would love that.

I am not saying peoples views of Facebook are right or wrong but I just don't get why some people who absolutely detest them, don't just cut their losses and sell the headset on Ebay. The speculation is over, the Facebook path is clear, time to move on if you hate the vision.

Right now I need my Oculus CV1 headset because the tracking on the HP Reverb G1 is not the best for room scale. That will change once HP -G2 arrives, but there's no way of knowing how long Revive will continue to work because Facebook won't just be up front with us and tell us about these things. So right now I have to keep hold of my Oculus headset to guarantee I can play the games I have purchased from the Oculus store. 

I bet those looking to sell their Oculus headsets would like to know if Revive is going to continue to be supported until 2023, but there's no word so far and I doubt we will hear anything about it. The first we will know about it is when Revive stops working and that's why some people are probably hanging onto their Oculus headsets.

Luciferous
Consultant
Well when my G2 arrives my CV1 is history. If I can play my Oculus games then great if not no great loss. I have played and finished most of the ones I care about. The multiplayer ones like Onward and Pavlov I already own on steam anyway. I rarely find the time to be playing old games.

kobs57
Heroic Explorer
Same here, the only one I will miss is robo recall but i'll get over it when I see the AMAZING picture quality I will get with the Reverb G2
VR dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 
32 gigs of G.Skill Trident Z neo 2X16 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz
 MSI 1070-TI,  on a MSI B-570 Gaming plus motherboard,
EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
Oculus is on a  CORSAIR Force MP600 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe M.2 SSD

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
My next PCVR headset will be a non-Oculus headset as well. That RG2 is looking mighty nice. I'm waiting until first-hand reviews from other members of this forum first though. My Rift CV1 will continue being used until it dies off. At the very least, I'll keep using it for all my VR Fitness experiences. I'm not sure I want to start sweating inside any new HMD's just yet. My Rift CV1 is perfect for soaking up all that sweat from Boxing games and Beat Saber!

OmegaM4N said:

^^Well those who bought a Q2 for whatever reason and have no idea it now requires a FB social media account, now have no where to go for support or answers because the official support site for the Q2 now requires a FB social media account, so they can't come here without a FB account which they either don't or wan't make....so i wonder how many returns retailers are going to see over the next few weeks..........it's going to be interesting to watch this unfold to see if that FB requirement has any impact on sales or returns.

I'm sure there will be a small number of consumers making returns, just as with literally every other product on the open market.

But considering how well Quest is already doing, and the number of happy users taking to this Forum and the Facebook VR Groups, the number of sales/returns will likely be quite tiny.

8ugbxf2vn5t7.jpg

Personally, I'm more interested in a different number. In particular, the number of consumers who will continue to use Facebook products and partake in Facebook's social platform (both Facebook.com and this Forum) despite being opposed to Facebook. I'm curious if Quest 2 and any future Oculus Exclusives will impact that number. This number seems to be decreasing on the Facebook VR Groups.

I'm curious to see how Horizons impacts this number as well.

RedRizla said:
there's no way of knowing how long Revive will continue to work because Facebook won't just be up front with us and tell us about these things. 

Facebook doesn't make nor own Revive. So there's nothing for Facebook to be upfront about when it comes to Revive. That's like saying that Ford should be up front about how Toyota works lol

kobs57
Heroic Explorer
Facebook doesn't make nor own Revive. So there's nothing for Facebook to be upfront about when it comes to Revive. That's like saying that Ford should be up front about how Toyota works lol

Agreed but it would only be courteous to have a door open (revive) for old Oculus user and app owners to be able to still play the games they bought FROM oculus but we all know and saw how that turned out with CV1 owner, unable to get spare parts, so again I wouldn't be surprised if FB /Oculus would just slam the door shut do a birdie and say bye, you just lost your apps.
VR dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 
32 gigs of G.Skill Trident Z neo 2X16 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz
 MSI 1070-TI,  on a MSI B-570 Gaming plus motherboard,
EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
Oculus is on a  CORSAIR Force MP600 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe M.2 SSD