cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus reducing focus on true high-end PCVR gaming?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Interview with Jason Rubin (I've put some text in bold):

"Hamilton: Are you still developing new games, beyond the ones we’re seeing here today, for Oculus Rift first?

Rubin: Oculus Rift first? I’m not sure. If the right project… I mean yes there are some in production, but what we look at is if the right project comes that we think can only be done on PC, and needs to be done to prove something out, we would fund it. Because again innovation is what we rely on the PC for delivering.

We are not graphically married…we are not pursuing graphics as like a goal. So if someone just comes and says we don’t want to build it for Quest because we want to have cutting edge graphics and we don’t want to worry about porting it down the Quest, that’s probably not a title we would make. If it can come to Quest, we want it to come to Quest. So for the most part the titles that we’re looking for now will run on both (that we’re funding)."

Source: https://uploadvr.com/jason-rubin-oculus-quest-index-rift-go/ 

From now on we only get low-poly low-res-texture phoneVR games funded by Oculus on the Rift(-S)? 

It really worries me. Of course there're Defector, Stormland, Lone Echo 2 and Asgard's Wrath - but these games have been planned for long. Will these truly high-end PCVR games, which are far beyond the Quest's ultra-low hardware capabilities, be the last Rift-only PCVR games from Oculus? 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

167 REPLIES 167

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

I couldn't tell you the last time I played a 90's game so don't include me in that. I've also had a mobile phone for years and never ever purchased a mobile game for it. PC gaming is where it's at for me that's why I purchased a Pc and a PC -VR headset and not an Oculus Quest.

I have pictures of me and my son playing on our Atari 2600 just this month. We beat the Adventure series together (All 3 levels in Adventure, and the entire level of Adventure II).

We are also playing Dig Dug, Pac-Man, and Galaga on this thing:

f6p2y2pclc5t.jpg

I still load up StarCraft, Diablo, and Thief on my Windows XP from time to time. And I play Super Metroid on my Wii every so often. The 90's had some of the best gaming releases of all time. I do love PC Gaming as well, but the last 20 years of PC title releases are nothing compared to the 90's. Everything has been a regurgitation and rather bland in comparison.

falken76
Expert Consultant
Ahhhh the C64 days, when I was constantly disappointed when comparing what I just bought with the arcade game I had hoped to be playing on the computer, The same disappointment continued when NES came out, but occasionally they made games that rarely turned out better than their quarter munching counterparts...  When Sega Genesis and SNES came out, the arcade games became recognizable lesser versions of the real machines.  I think quest is more in the Genesis/Mega Drive/SNES state with Rift being in place of arcade games. 

falken76
Expert Consultant

RuneSR2 said:

BTW I did like R-Type on my CBM64, even if I knew it wasn't the same as the real thing 😉

https://youtu.be/Bft5BhWIzTU

WOW, I have to say I never had or even seen Rtype on C64, but it was an arcade game I liked alot as a kid and I got this game on the Sega Master system when it came out.  This looks absolutely fantastic on C64 and the music is a very good representation of the arcade version.  I am absolutely impressed with this because I remember C64 arcade conversions being very bad in comparison to the real arcades.  But this looks great.  The boss music sounds the same and everything.

Anonymous
Not applicable
The C64 was pants, all the cool kids had Speccies. B)

CrashFu
Consultant
Getting back on topic, I think an earlier quote from that same interview is worth sharing:

We believe in the PC marketplace for a lot of reasons. Not the least of which is that the PC audience is willing to experiment and VR needs experimentation when it comes to software development. As a developer, I need the PC to feed the best quality ideas after consumers have vetted them to the more console-like audience that wants high quality, polished, large titles and not demoware in a more console-like universe. So those two systems have to both survive. 

That's a pretty unambiguous statement that Oculus' PC department isn't getting shut down any time soon... and that the people here saying that "future PC VR titles will just be graphically-enhanced Quest games"  have got it completely backwards.

I also feel like some of you are intentionally ignoring the parts that Rune didn't bold in the quote he shared.   Here, see how that same quote looks with a little difference in highlighting:

Rubin: Oculus Rift first? I’m not sure. If the right project… I mean yes there are some in production, but what we look at is if the right project comes that we think can only be done on PC, and needs to be done to prove something out, WE WOULD FUND IT. Because again innovation is what we rely on the PC for delivering.

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

Yeah, I have always equated OculusVR as being Spectrum [Sinclair] - especially what happened in the end to the management and Sir Clive!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kevinw729 said:

snowdog said:

Yeah, I have always equated OculusVR as being Spectrum - especially what happened in the end to the management and Sir Clive!

Hmmm, like: "Despite his involvement in computing, Sinclair does not use the Internet, stating that he does not like to have "technical or mechanical things around me" as it distracts from the process of invention.[18][19] In 2010 he stated that he does not use computers himself, and prefers using the telephone rather than email.[20]"

So he kinda won the race to the bottom  😄  

I'll go live in the woods soon! Smoking magic mushrooms is instant VR - no need for power or an expensive rig! It's untethered! No SDE!

Image result for living in the woods

(Unless there're spiders in the woods, I don't like spiders) 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
they use dmt to go that route

RuneSR2 said:

kevinw729 said:

snowdog said:

Yeah, I have always equated OculusVR as being Spectrum - especially what happened in the end to the management and Sir Clive!

Hmmm, like: "Despite his involvement in computing, Sinclair does not use the Internet, stating that he does not like to have "technical or mechanical things around me" as it distracts from the process of invention.[18][19] In 2010 he stated that he does not use computers himself, and prefers using the telephone rather than email.[20]"

So he kinda won the race to the bottom  😄  

I'll go live in the woods soon! Smoking magic mushrooms is instant VR - no need for power or an expensive rig! It's untethered! No SDE!

Image result for living in the woods

(Unless there're spiders in the woods, I don't like spiders) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3syK5VQ3sU

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Interesting, I feel we're really getting to the core of this thread!  😄 I got this book when I was a student 25 years ago - still a great read:

Image result for snyder drugs and the brain

And it's not that far-fetched when it comes to VR - and maybe that's why we love VR - and why some persons might need to limit VR exposure:

Legal Heroin: Is Virtual Reality Our Next Hard Drug

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenkotler/2014/01/15/legal-heroin-is-virtual-reality-our-next-hard-d...

And I don't want my VR dopamine diluted by thin Quest experiences, I want the full PCVR dose  >:)

Yes, we hit the core of the discussion, lol. 

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

No - not the current Sir Clive (the man) - more the company Sinclair:
- Starting with a kit-build ZX80, supported by hobbyists/prosumers, offering an open-source path. Launching the ZXSpectrum achieving critical claim, but suffering from QA issues. Cutting corners on a sequel, coming out belatedly and being built in partnership and receiving a poor reception (ZX Spectrum+). Previewed at gracious private press events hardware that never materialised or even achieved promise (ZX Microdrive). Promised a sequel system that failed to live up to expectations and came out way later than promised (Sinclair QL). A unusual and poorly lead marketing and internal executive system. Acquired by a larger, but less respected corporation (Amstrad), assets stripped and name vanished - in the face of mass departures of staff and executives (and research). I also glossed over their micro-TV business and the weird moment in the companies history where it launched a electric car [image]!

https://youtu.be/0EQetm_qWDg

The Sinclair C5

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959