cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On January 2nd 2023 my headset will auto-self destruct?

Anonymous
Not applicable

What if I don't care about Meta/Facebook? and don't don't want a "meta" account? It seems nobody can't answer this right.. I basically don't do "socializing" in VR just play the games I bought and.. 

what will really happen on January 2nd 2023!! will my headset melt and auto-self destruct? 

You can continue logging in with your Oculus account until Jan 1, 2023. After that date, you’ll need to create a Meta account to continue using your device. If you choose to continue with your Oculus account, you won’t have access to social features or any future features that require a Meta account.

PS- If I were to know when bought the Quest 1 that we would have been "dumped" to Facebook/Meta,

I would have invest in Valve.. Meta is really bad.. Metaverse is a Telemetry joke! 

my rant of the day.

3 REPLIES 3

sraura
Heroic Explorer

Yep... already wrote one rant but may reply also to this. I'm sad to ditch Oculus, but Quest 2 is my last headset from them. Just because of the software/account changes. Zero privacy here and user experience going worse after every change they make. Anyways thanks to all engineers. U designed a great a great product and many devs did great software for it. Unfortunately Facebook ruined it for you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Funny, I received an email from Oculus asking me if I had found an answer to my question above!

It seems I will have to find out if on Jan 2 2023 if my headset will get the "Hammer" treatment!.. lolIt seems I will have to find out if on Jan 2 2023 if my headset will get the "Hammer" treatment!.. lol

Looks like on January 2 2023 my quest headset may get the "Royal Hammer" firmware update..

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Anonymous wrote:

What if I don't care about Meta/Facebook? and don't don't want a "meta" account? It seems nobody can't answer this right.. I basically don't do "socializing" in VR just play the games I bought and.. 

what will really happen on January 2nd 2023!! will my headset melt and auto-self destruct? 

You can continue logging in with your Oculus account until Jan 1, 2023. After that date, you’ll need to create a Meta account to continue using your device. If you choose to continue with your Oculus account, you won’t have access to social features or any future features that require a Meta account.

PS- If I were to know when bought the Quest 1 that we would have been "dumped" to Facebook/Meta,

I would have invest in Valve.. Meta is really bad.. Metaverse is a Telemetry joke! 

my rant of the day.

Up to you mate but after 1 Jan 2023 there will be no such thing as an Oculus account so I'm pretty sure your Q1 will be dead in the water, along with all your current Quest/Rift store apps. 

Takes about 2 minutes to change over your Oculus account to a Meta account.  You also need a Meta Horizon profile but when you set this up you can select the privacy options you want (eg. Solo profile).  You no longer need to tie anything into a Facebook account.  If you need help doing all this you can try using oculus support chat and I'm sure they will walk you through all this.

https://store.facebook.com/en-gb/help/accounts/

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers