cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Other HMD possibilities Thread

Techy111
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Ok let's get the ball rolling on what our options are for other headsets now or upcoming other then the oculus offerings. Link where possible and opinions of them or predictions. This could be a fun thread for all so keep it civil ๐Ÿ˜‰
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

26 REPLIES 26

kevinw729
Level 15
Group 1.

mvxnlvy1hjr0.png
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Techy111
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
What's the one at the end Kev ?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

kevinw729
Level 15
The concept prototype for the Qualcomm headset - seems to be using the same set up as Pico Neo2, Cosmos and Acer's new unit (4k screen and standalone with tether (USB-C) and 5g wireless). 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

kevinw729
Level 15
Group 2.

9ty61grp618p.png 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Techy111
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Qualcomm link = https://www.pcmag.com/news/367305/qualcomms-concept-vr-headset-can-stream-content-from-a-pc

Sounds very interesting, wirelessly over 5g but I'd expect a higher snapdragon down the line yes ?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

snowdog
Level 16
I'll be interested in seeing what (if anything!) Valve bring to the table but by the time they release the thing (and rumours are flying around that it's been cancelled) the CV4 will be out I expect lol
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

kevinw729
Level 15

snowdog said:

I'll be interested in seeing what (if anything!) Valve bring to the table but by the time they release the thing (and rumours are flying around that it's been cancelled) the CV4 will be out I expect lol



Yeah, a certain group of troll posters, with it in for Valve, started the rumour that the recent layoffs were part of the cancellation of the VR project(s), but in a surprise development GabeN himself went on line to comment that this was not the case, and the project is on track! Big surprise, and highly embarrassing for the tolls. Valve has something big, but the NDA's and embargo's are still in place.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

snowdog
Level 16

kevinw729 said:


snowdog said:

I'll be interested in seeing what (if anything!) Valve bring to the table but by the time they release the thing (and rumours are flying around that it's been cancelled) the CV4 will be out I expect lol



Yeah, a certain group of troll posters, with it in for Valve, started the rumour that the recent layoffs were part of the cancellation of the VR project(s), but in a surprise development GabeN himself went on line to comment that this was not the case, and the project is on track! Big surprise, and highly embarrassing for the tolls. Valve has something big, but the NDA's and embargo's are still in place.



GabeN was responding to a question asking whether the games had been canned, he said no. At no point was he asked about the headset or did he confirm anything about the VR headset. For all we know this thing doesn't exist and that leak was just of a photo of an abandoned prototype. If it IS real, we probably won't see it being released for AGES because of Valve Time.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Zenbane
Level 16

snowdog said:
GabeN was responding to a question asking whether the games had been canned, he said no. At no point was he asked about the headset or did he confirm anything about the VR headset. For all we know this thing doesn't exist and that leak was just of a photo of an abandoned prototype. If it IS real, we probably won't see it being released for AGES because of Valve Time.


No doubt Gabe was doing damage control with the PR statements. I'm sure they will be continuing with their VR efforts just fine. But it was hilarious seeing Valve getting trolled a bit. Especially considering how often Facebook and Oculus get trolled on a regular basis every time a rumor is leaked or an executive leaves the company.