cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE TELL ME YOU HAVE SOMTHING UP YOUR SLEEVE FOR RIFT!!!

jfadams1283
Honored Guest
I've just watched CE 2018 and HTC has a new higher res headset coming out with a low latency wireless option. I've been an oculus supporter since Kickstarter and still have my dev kit. I really love my rift and want to stay with Oculus in the VR world. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places but i haven't seen any new news on the Oculus front for headsets or wireless options (or much of anything else for that matter). You don't have to disclose any secrets to me, but please just tell me you have something in the works to fight back with HTC's new stuff. I really just want to be given a reason to stick with you guys. Like i said. Just tell me that you have things in the works and that'll be good enough for me
177 REPLIES 177

News on headsets  (both with no cables):

Oculus Go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bQUBzPZHHQ

And Santa Cruz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RlPZ_EGIv4

And a wireless add-on for your Rift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z0pYsWz738
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
No news yet but there's a lot of speculation of a larger fov, and foveated rendering, and knuckles controllers, and better lens, etc. But how good can it really be tbh? Don't expect too much and be happy with the current rift imo.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Of course Oculus have something planned. As I've mentioned before in another thread Oculus don't have a great deal to worry about.

All HTC are releasing in March is a standalone HMD with a marginal increase in resolution and NO increase whatsoever in FOV. The full thing isn't coming out until 1st October at the VERY earliest and isn't going to be cheap due to using Valve's technology.

Facebook have their F8 developers event on 1st May and Oculus Connect 5 at the beginning of October, and I'm 100% certain that the CV2 will be announced at one of these events and will at least be a 2K headset with 110° FOV at worst and is more likely to have a small bump in FOV too, 120-130°.

If Oculus and Facebook have foveated rendering sorted out we could end up seeing a 4K headset next year from Oculus able to run on a Recommended Spec VR Ready PC for the CV1 today.

The CV1 price will drop further to $299/£299 too.

HTC have made a HUGE cock up with the Vive Pro, they might sell a few standalone headsets to current Vive owners but I can't see current Rift owners going anywhere near the Vive Pro bundle after Oculus release a better and probably cheaper headset next year.

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
To chase an incremental update to the Rift (like the Vive Pro has done) is putting too much effort in the wrong direction (like HTC has done).  An incremental update in resolution is near worthless to the experience, and it increases the system requirements for a product that is already out of reach for many.  Wireless tethers are also way overblown IMO.  A tether is a tether is a tether.

If Oculus released a Rift 2 with slightly more resolution and a wireless tether then I would be like... meh.  That would be an expensive upgrade for no real increased value.

Outside-in tracking is dead.  A Rift 2 should be a Santa Cruz that plugs into an external PC (which can be a backpack btw).  I suggest they wait another 1-2 years so they can reasonably require multi-projection in order to facilitate a substantial increase in resolution.  Those two things (inside-out tracking + substantial increase in resolution via multi-projection) would make a worthy Rift 2.

In the meantime, honestly, Santa Cruz is the response to the Vive Pro.  They can't compete with Santa Cruz.

nrosko
Superstar

To chase an incremental update to the Rift (like the Vive Pro has done) is putting too much effort in the wrong direction (like HTC has done).  An incremental update in resolution is near worthless to the experience, and it increases the system requirements for a product that is already out of reach for many.  Wireless tethers are also way overblown IMO.  A tether is a tether is a tether.

If Oculus released a Rift 2 with slightly more resolution and a wireless tether then I would be like... meh.  That would be an expensive upgrade for no real increased value.

Outside-in tracking is dead.  A Rift 2 should be a Santa Cruz that plugs into an external PC (which can be a backpack btw).  I suggest they wait another 1-2 years so they can reasonably require multi-projection in order to facilitate a substantial increase in resolution.  Those two things (inside-out tracking + substantial increase in resolution via multi-projection) would make a worthy Rift 2.

In the meantime, honestly, Santa Cruz is the response to the Vive Pro.  They can't compete with Santa Cruz.

yeah i agree computers haven't moved on much so i think they will just take a hit this year & lose ground on the other headsets in terms of features & quality but will hopefully offer the cheapest. By 2019 we should have another gen of gfx cards. 
Its going to be hard looking at the other companies release better hardware but what's the point, would a headset with higher requirements & higher cost sell well? is it worth  them putting the dev time in? I would rather they got their heads down & worked on a better product for 2019/20, for now i can make do with higher pixel density & try & ignore the damn god rays. i think much more of first gen CV1 owners would likely upgrade in one or two years & hopefully the extra dev time would result in tech like eye tracking & this would really set the cat among the pigeons. 

what we really need is some decent games as i still feel there isn't the quality in VR & the last few months releases have been crap I hope it gets better in 2018.  

Anonymous
Not applicable
Outside-in tracking isn't going anywhere next generation, Oculus have already stated some time last year that they're sticking with the Constellation tracking system.

Oculus will be releasing two headsets next year, the CV2 for high end home us and the Santa Cruz as a lower quality headset, somewhere between the Go and the CV2, for people on the go.

I still think that the Santa Cruz headset is a mistake tbh, I just don't think there's a big enough market for it to sell well.

snowdog said:

Outside-in tracking isn't going anywhere next generation, Oculus have already stated some time last year that they're sticking with the Constellation tracking system.

Oculus will be releasing two headsets next year, the CV2 for high end home us and the Santa Cruz as a lower quality headset, somewhere between the Go and the CV2, for people on the go.

I still think that the Santa Cruz headset is a mistake tbh, I just don't think there's a big enough market for it to sell well.

Mistakes should be excused at this stage of the game - they almost need to be made.  Long haul and all that.

That goes for HTC and Oculus.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Digikid1
Consultant
Please do not use all caps.  It is considered quite rude.

That being said if you looked up what you wanted on Google you would have found what you are looking for.  The most interesting thing Oculus has revealed is the Oculus Go.  Check it out......on Google.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Digikid1 said:

Please do not use all caps.  It is considered quite rude.

That being said if you looked up what you wanted on Google you would have found what you are looking for.  The most interesting thing Oculus has revealed is the Oculus Go.  Check it out......on Google.

Nobody has used all caps in this thread.