cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patients Wearing Rift During Surgery Reduces Anxiety

ThreeEyes
Explorer
Another find over at the Oculus subreddit...

http://www.droiders.com/en/perpetuo-socorro/

Initial tests held with this innovative device have proven to decrease patient heart rate and arterial blood pressure during the virtual experience and confirms the anxiety reduction relaxing effect in a hospital environment.

More information will follow on the Droiders blog about this exclusive event that combines Google Glass and Oculus Rift for patient healthcare.

I guess swapping in "Alien: Isolation" for surgery could end up being murder when they bleed out though... 😄

It's not English and the video feed itself doesn't seem to start until 1:27:00. May or may not be anything interesting in there.

But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:
11 REPLIES 11

Crespo80
Explorer
I wonder what this "virtual world of soothing sounds and images" is all about, it looks like a trip :mrgreen:
Meanwhile, the patient will be wearing the virtual reality headset from Oculus Rift that will allow themself to be isolated from the immediate hospital environment and the stress that accompanies a surgical operation, and be immersed in a virtual world of soothing sounds and images.

drfirepants
Honored Guest
I can certainly see it being used to make a trip to the dentists office more enjoyable.

saviornt
Protege
I would hope that before they go in for surgery, the patient as a meeting with a psychologist to determine what is relaxing / meditative to them.

Different strokes for different folks. There are, more than likely, people out there that would think Alien: Isolation is a relaxing and meditative video!
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

Crespo80
Explorer
"saviornt" wrote:

Different strokes for different folks. There are, more than likely, people out there that would think Alien: Isolation is a relaxing and meditative video!

Such a person would be fed with the live stream from the google glasses on the surgeon: if he finds Alien relaxing, he will also find relaxing to see his own live bloody operation :lol:

saviornt
Protege
Briliant! :lol:

Oh, and umm, short story... I don't like scary Rift experiences.. but I do like medical stuff like surgery and such. A number of years ago I had to have surgery on my leg. The surgeon was going to put me under, but I requested to watch the surgery. He was kind of baffled, but I convinced him that it wouldn't bother me as long as I couldn't feel the knife going into my leg.

It was actually really cool to watch!
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

ThreeEyes
Explorer
That just gives me the willies! 😄
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

firstdayreviews
Honored Guest
Just play a botched clip of someone playing Surgeon Simulator tossing kidneys and lungs around the operating room, that should warm the patient up for a good solid surgical experience hahah
Join me on facebook and youtube to win free games monthly! Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/fdreviews Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/fdreviews

Crespo80
Explorer
"saviornt" wrote:

now imagine something going wrong while watching live your own surgery... that would be a bit less enjoyable and rapidly become a nightmare :mrgreen:

saviornt
Protege
"crespo80" wrote:
"saviornt" wrote:

now imagine something going wrong while watching live your own surgery... that would be a bit less enjoyable and rapidly become a nightmare :mrgreen:

I'm glad that I was trained for being a combat field medic.. "Move over doc, I got this!" :lol: