Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pico 4 Controller Photo Leaks

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

https://www.roadtovr.com/report-pico-4-controllers-leaked-images/

Not much is known about the Pico 4 yet, except that it's FCC filing means its coming to the US. Also that one difference between the Pico 4 and Pico 4 Pro is eye and face tracking.

But now photos of the controllers have leaked.

Pico Neo 2

pico-neo-2-controller.jpg

Pico Neo 3

Neo-3-Pro-Controller-1.jpg

Pico 4

pico-controller-2.jpg

pico-4-controller-1.jpg

These look quite cool.

The ring looks like it gets pretty close to the wrist though, will it bump if you bend your wrist?

It will be interesting to see what the specs of the Pico 4 are. The Pico Neo 3 matched the Quest 2, will Pico 4 match Cambria?

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
5 REPLIES 5

RuneSR2
Level 15

RuneSR2_1-1659372548001.jpeg

RuneSR2_0-1659372527233.jpeg

That ring ... Looks like they tried to copy an Index controller, even if the ring does have a different position:

b8feadb0-888f-11e9-bde1-1686971b92c6.cf.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

- but not sure Pico 4 will protect your knuckles like ... Knuckles 😉

akrales_190528_3450_0029.jpg

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Zenbane
Level 15

Very nice looking! At this stage in VR though, I am starting to get spoiled by pure hand-tracking (hands-free).

I use it in my Quest 2 often and love that I can interact in VR without a controller. Granted, more software needs to support it, but getting rid of controllers altogether is definitely the future.

@RuneSR2 wrote:

That ring ... Looks like they tried to copy an Index controller, even if the ring does have a different position:

- but not sure Pico 4 will protect your knuckles like ... Knuckles 😉

Knuckles were decent for their time, but the full finger tracking was never utilized outside of a few basic applications, even after all these years. Not to mention the problem of having to re-calibrate their finger tracking per user.

On top of which, Knuckle reliability is very low. If memory serves, you have posted on at least 2 occasions where you had to RMA your Knuckles for a replacement.  Consider that Rift and Quest controllers typically last the entire lifetime of the headsets. I would imagine that Pico is trying to meet that higher standard set by Rift/Quest controllers.

Although personally, I would love to see Pico go for hands-free tracking, which is far more immersive than using a hand-controller. 🙂

As for Valve, I am confident that they will ditch knuckles and wired VR altogether very soon. Valve doesn't stay archaic for too long. 

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Pico was working on hand tracking for the Neo 3, but it seems they gave up on that and instead worked with UltraLeap (formerly Leap Motion) for an addon. From UploadVR:

"The hand tracking quality was significantly better than Quest 2 – the virtual hands seemed to match my own precisely and with no perceptible latency, and I could even interlock my fingers. Only by almost entirely occluding one hand did tracking start to fail."

It's available to developers as early access (not approved for commercial use in Europe yet).

Maybe the Pico 4 will have some Ultraleap integration?

I use hand tracking occasionally, but I prefer a controller with actual buttons for most of the software I use.

It is handy though. (Pun intended)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Looks like we'll get some details very soon.

Pico are doing a headset announcement on thursday!

Pico-4-official-announcement-tease-1024x576.jpg.jpg

With the Pico Neo 3 being equal speced to the Quest 2, I wonder how the Pico 4 will compare to the Quest Pro?

RuneSR2
Level 15

It does look kinda cool:

- but using similar res (pixel burden), it has to deliver same performance in the OpenVR Benchmark as the Index, or it's totally dead to me. People tend to forget that not using native Steam drivers comes with a great performance penalty. Cost of Pimax is 20% performance reduction compared to Index. The difference between RTX 3090 and a RTX 3070 Ti is about 20% 😉

The issue may be limited in OpenXR games/apps, but I have many Steam games requiring native Steam drivers.

I love the Index for the awesome performance in native Steam games, and my Rift CV1 for awesome performance in native Oculus games. And might get PSVR2 for awesome performance in native PSVR2 games - but unless Pico4 has native driver support in PCVR games, it's of no/little interest to me. 2c. 

So let's see the Pico 4 OpenVR Benchmark performance, everything else is just a smoke screen to me. 

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"