cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pico Neo release

Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't know how well it works for say, but it combine a lot of the technology I was hoping to see in future headsets. From electromagnet tracking to eye tracking for really a reasonable price tag. Its a bit of a China only product - but hopefully we start seeing more devices start coming out with more technology options such as eye tracking next year.

https://www.roadtovr.com/pico-neo-2-eye-price-release-date/
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

The controllers however are a different story. The controller tracking
is magnetic, which allows them to be small, light, and not require a
halo as almost every other VR controller on the market. However, the
downside is that magnetic tracking is laggy and less accurate, and I
felt this immediately. The controllers feel sluggish in your hand, and
the VR controllers don’t match exactly the position of the physical
controller. It’s close, but not as close as other headsets.

I figured and same with the eye tracking just a bit. All could improve some over time though. Esp the eye tracking. I still say - a combo of vision tracking + mag tracking would still be a bigger win though in terms of coverage. Vision would help with the over all feel in the front for speed and accuracy, while in the back, mag will cover our back ends for the short time we need it (witch doesn't have to be accurate).

kojack
MVP
MVP
Another one going kind of the other way:

The controllers had latency and a slightly lower accuracy, but apparently didn't have the loss of primary tracking that the Quest can get from obscured tracking rings. So sounds like the Pico Neo 2 tracking is below Quest in the best case situation, but above Quest in the worse case.

I really don't like the latency, but I'm still interested in the Pico Neo 2, mainly for the developer freedom. I haven't checked yet, but if their SDK gives you access to the camera feeds then I'm getting one (with that, you can do fiducial marker tracking, which means fixed reference points for longer distance and consistent multi-user play spaces). Oculus refuse to allow that.

Mradr said:

I figured and same with the eye tracking just a bit. All could improve some over time though. Esp the eye tracking.

Yeah, the eye tracking dropping out sounds like a software issue, hopefully they have a team that can fix it.
Although frequent recalibration is probably hard to avoid when slight headset shifting on your face is probably going to throw off the eye tracking.
Hopefully the Tobii eye tracking here works better than the useless Tobii eye tracker I have at work. Having it face mounted at least gets rid of the main problem of head movement throwing off tracking.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would consider that a fair play. The Pic Nero 2 is a strong Quest competitor in my view considering the features you do get, specs, and software access when it comes to business. Considering it cost the same for the Quest business as well. I would consider this a good step forward for people that are:

1) Looking to create for the next generation headsets and need something now to start testing with (eye tracking for example).

2) Is a company that needs a headset with a strong backing of support in terms of some of the business features (such as kiosk mode).

3) While being less accurate compare to Quest in the front - the ability to be track all around can still be worth the extra area of tracking for different content out there.

4) Higher res screen also means better clarity into what you are looking at thus better to relay the required information.

5) The eye tracking data can also be used for different methods as well such as getting an idea what content looks good to the public (like a box design, color, etc) that makes your product stand out more. It can also be used for knowing how an employee can improve as well in terms of where they are looking at as they talk, where they might be a bit lost at (dotting their eyes instead of looking at a tool), and over all engage how their software is working with the employee. 

Mr_PoOL
Protege
Are you really talking about a non oculus headset on an oculus forum?  😄

lensmandave
Superstar

Mr_PoOL said:

Are you really talking about a non oculus headset on an oculus forum?  😄

You're new here aren't you?  😉
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.