cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playing Final Assault VR In The Oculus Rift S At Pax East 2019

vrgamerdude
Heroic Explorer
https://youtu.be/Dow632c7Gz0

So a few weeks ago I got the opportunity to attend PAX East as a guest of Oculus to try out the launch titles for the Rift S and the Quest. One of the titles I tried and was pleasantly surprised by was Final Assault.

Now those of you who have watched my channel for a while know I am not much of an RTS game fan. I don't dislike the genre, I just don't prefer it to other games I could be playing.... Lately VR has starting to shift my attitude towards RTS games though.

So after seeing the trailer for Final Assault I decided to give it a look in the Rift S and now I am glad I did. I have always been a fan of miniature scale stuff in VR and I'm happy to say that Final Assault delivers there! Watching these highly detailed little battles go down from a God like perspective over the battlefield was awesome! The graphics were crisp and showed a nice amount of detail in the higher resolution screen in the Rift S.

As you will see in this video and as I said before the RTS genre is not my thing and I am quite frankly just plain bad at it, but this still didn't stop me from just enjoying all of the miniature scale carnage going down all around me! I'm sure if I took the time to learn the game I would find it challenging.

So if you are looking for a new RTS style game to play in VR you might want to give Final Assault a look!

"I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and it is the headlamp of the oncoming virtual hype train!"
5 REPLIES 5

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Nice video, but can you tell us a bit more about your impressions about the Oculus Rift -S? How does it compare to CV1 regarding resolution, audio & comfort etc? This is just you playing a game for the most part. Cheers!

vrgamerdude
Heroic Explorer
@RedRizla sure thing.. It was actually the first vid I put out from my time at PAX East.. you can check it out and hear most of my thoughts here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zasMh2Nb6Oc and for the areas I forgot to mention like the 80hz vs 90 hz, well I couldn't tell a difference and the loss of the IPD slider didn't bother me much but I am at 66.5mm so not too far off from the standard of 64mm that the Rift S was set at. The software IPD seemed to work well due to the increased sweet spot in the lenses which looked WAY better than the Rift or Go .... very minimal Godrays finally! If there is anything in the vid or here that I missed just AMA! []-)
"I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and it is the headlamp of the oncoming virtual hype train!"

jayhawk
Superstar
VR definitely makes RTS games a LOT more fun.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Does VR really add anything to RTS games? RTS games are based on actions per minute. That's much easier with a mouse and keyboard. Especially when you consider all the hotkeys people bind. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

saami81
Rising Star

MowTin said:

Does VR really add anything to RTS games? RTS games are based on actions per minute. That's much easier with a mouse and keyboard. Especially when you consider all the hotkeys people bind. 

VR doesnt make you better or your apm faster, but it is still very good and especially fun way to play to RTS games.

I would love to see C&C remake on VR.