cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help Me Make this Decision

dake222
Honored Guest
I am a youtuber and I want to make videos with the oculus rift, but Im not sure on whether to just buy it now to get some videos out and have some fun, or to just wait it out and get the consumer version later. If I can get the money I might get both, but Im not sure I would want to buy the dk2 if its only a couple of months separation. Please help, just pretty confused on the release dates and just want to get started 😄
6 REPLIES 6

Twitchmonkey
Explorer
It's a developer kit, it's meant for developers. The version that Oculus considers good enough for release is going to be the CV1. No release date is known for the CV1, except that Oculus would like to get it out this year. If you get a DK2 now and that means you won't be able to get the CV1 at launch I wouldn't do it. If you can justify buying both, go ahead. The DK2 is a lot of fun.

Buy it and have some fun.

It's relatively cheap, we have no idea when CV1 will come out and if you have to, you can always sell the DK2 on later.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

VizionVR
Rising Star
You really should wait for CV. Besides, everyone has done DK2 vids. What those vids don't show is all the setup hassle.
No release date has been stated. Lot's of speculation on that, the most popular being end of 2015, possibly later.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

dake222
Honored Guest
Well Im pretty sure I can afford both, its just I was unsure that if I bought it now it would come out in like may. But if it comes out like near the end of this year I might as well buy the DK2 to enjoy it and get the consumer later

Someguitarist
Explorer
Thank god. Now that "a youtuber" has asked for a release date, we'll finally get one!

But seriously, no one knows what the date is. It could come out out tomorrow. It could come out December 29th. And that's if it makes it this year (which hopefully it should). It could be the 13th of Smarch 2019.

RonsonPL
Heroic Explorer
CV1 will be out between October 2015 and July 2016 in my opinion.

So go ahead and buy DK2, but be sure you know what awaits you. It's a development kit, you'll waste a lot of time fighting with problems and a lot of games/experiences will end up being far from optimal. It might turn out to be not worth your time if you're not a skilled PC user, but in this case, after all the problems, you'll certainly become one 😉 .

Personally I would prefer to wait if I were you. After having lots of fun with DK2 I only grew inpatient for CV1 even more.
You step into VR and say "oh wow! If only I had a controller" or "if only the SDE wasn't that bad" or "of only I could see my hands" etc. I ended up more annoyed about the lacking features than I was having fun from the ones that DK2 has 🙂 .

I envy people who will have their first VR experience with CV1. (or CV2/3/4, if CV1 turns out to be disappointing).
Besides - youtube and VR are not so much compatible right now. Your viewers won't know what you're talking about, if they didn't have a chance to use VR. So it's 50/50 IMHO. Your call.
Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore. Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash. Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.