cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please make Oculus Remote more useful!

Blyss4226
Rising Star
I really wish I could use the Oculus Remote in things like VLC or Tridef Media Player or whatnot. It would be very simple to do so if it could just be exposed to the OS as a game controller or some such like that. As it stands now I find the remote completely useless which is sad. I know some Oculus apps do use it but they aren't any of the ones that I use. But yeah it would be great for chilling out and watching videos or listening to music, it just needs to be able to be interacted with "outside" of the closed Oculus Home system.
Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD
8 REPLIES 8

kojack
MVP
MVP
Give me a CV1 and remote and I'll get something going... 🙂

(I used to use a Wiimote to control Media Player Classic. I had it set up so holding a button then twisting it in the air did volume control)
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Rayvolution
Heroic Explorer
Oculus Remote? Whats that? :wink: (Sarcasm alert!)

I actually never use the thing at all, so little in fact I eventually put it back in the Oculus box so I don't lose it. I'd love to see some more third-party apps in the future pick it up (Maybe a VLC-VR edition?)

Zandil
Rising Star
The remote is great for general apps, easier to use and hold than the controller when all you want to do is play movies, hit play pause etc. 

Trytiped
Adventurer
I never use mine either feels kinda weird switching over to the remote when the xbox one can do everything.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am glad VR desktop added the options to use the remote controllers myself. It has save me from getting out of my bed a few times 😛 Here is hope to more controller base usage in the future!

Blyss4226
Rising Star

Mradr said:

I am glad VR desktop added the options to use the remote controllers myself. It has save me from getting out of my bed a few times 😛 Here is hope to more controller base usage in the future!

Oooh I didn't know they added support in Virtual Desktop - NICE! Thanks for letting me know!

But yeah what I'd really like is it to just appear as a game controller or something to the OS so any app can receive input.
Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD

Anonymous
Not applicable
In theory I guess to could do that. There was software in the past that you could use to convert a controller into a mouse with some basic keyboard control (like press select to bring up the Windows On Screen Keyboard).

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
You should email the developers of the apps you want to use to to add support - I mean, if they are already using the Rift SDK, it should be butt simple to do.