Did you mean: 

Possible leaked image of Samsung Gear VR

Vylen
Honored Guest
13 REPLIES 13

Dragonbait
Explorer
More VR HMD's is great news.
I just hope they come up with some standards where the HMD manufacturers supply a transform file or something so that we can write one piece of code and not worry about which device its running on.

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
The Samsung thing isn't a computer display like the Oculus, it's a mobile device that uses your Samsung Android phone. As such, there's almost no chance you would write a game that worked on both with no changes.

...but if you wanted to, just use Unity, which lets you target both Android and standalone PC - since Oculus helped Samsung make their VR device, chances are it will be fairly compatible.

Also, what do you want to bet that focus wheel is gonna be on CV1?

petermz
Honored Guest
Well the amount of changes is acceptable. I think we'll see quite some indie titles for both platforms.

@Topic So this is the tradeoff OculusVR had to engange in for a chance on Note3 displays eh? There's actually some use cases i can see myself using this. Movies on planes...etc. I know Oculus has a lot of Android folks/had a lot of Android positions, i think they'll release something in the same direction as well in the future.
come what may time and hour runs through the roughest day

Beta84
Honored Guest
I have a mixed feeling about this. It could be good for the VR spreading to the public but if it's a bad VR experience it could people push away from VR for example people get sick because judder, bad postional headtracking, low FPS etc.

tamonte
Honored Guest
Well, at least they have the advantage of having a fixed system, like a console (PS4), the performance is predicable, and thus they just have to make apps that push it to the limits, not above them and not bellow them. They just can't be as complex as on a high end PC ofc.

Vylen
Honored Guest
Even if it's performance isn't as great as the Rift, think of it as a gateway .... drug... to proper VR...

With people experiencing it in the modern era through cheaper alternatives, they'll hopefully be enticed to experience it in a more developed environment...

Something like that anyway 🙂

Simpanra
Honored Guest
"Vylen" wrote:
Even if it's performance isn't as great as the Rift, think of it as a gateway .... drug... to proper VR...

With people experiencing it in the modern era through cheaper alternatives, they'll hopefully be enticed to experience it in a more developed environment...

Something like that anyway 🙂

I truly cannot wait for the day you walk into a tech shop and walk up to a wall of all different virtual reality HMDs, from Oculus to Morpheus to Vrvana. And we were here at the beginning of it all. I love being me :lol:

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
"Beta84" wrote:
I have a mixed feeling about this. It could be good for the VR spreading to the public but if it's a bad VR experience it could people push away from VR for example people get sick because judder, bad postional headtracking, low FPS etc.

I doubt Oculus would have helped Samsung make a bad VR experience...

mta
Honored Guest
The vast array of mobile phone VR kits we're seeing these days is mildly disappointing, they're seriously lacking in the GPU department.

Perhaps samsung should attach a PCI-E socket to the galaxy...