cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibly New Controller Design Leaked?

kojack
MVP
MVP

I just saw this on reddit:   ( https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/puwzb5/new_leaked_oculus_controller/ )

IgqaJlb.jpeg

4wRsRGz.jpeg

No, that's not me, I don't photograph in portrait mode! Or put my face in it and have to blur it out. 🙂

(I also don't believe in leaks. But if they are already out there, might as well discuss it)

Anyway.

What we can see here is a controller with what appear to be cameras around the side of the controller and one on top, and no tracking ring.

Of course in this age of easy 3D printing, it wouldn't be hard to make a fake controller. So I'm not considering this real just yet.

Moving the controllers to inside-out tracking is interesting. Antilatency does a similar thing, they put cameras on everything that moves.

Have they put enough hardware into the controllers to process the video feeds there? Or are they streaming to the headset? A Qualcomm XR2 can only handle 7 cameras for tracking, this new system would have 12-14 (I'm guessing 4-5 cameras per controller, plus 4 on the headset). Are they going to put a full SOC in every controller?

Pros of Inside-out videometric controllers:

- No tracking volume. Down by your side, behind your back, there doesn't need to be line of sight between the headset and controller.

- Oculus can stop the alternating exposure. Quest 2 toggles between high exposure (to see the room) and low exposure (to ignore the room and see the controller IR LEDs). We don't need that if there's no LEDs at all.

Cons

- Controllers and headset tracking sync will be harder. We already have headset drift when moving in larger areas, now controllers can drift too since they are tracking themselves independently of the headset.

- Battery life will be worse.

- Replacements will be more expensive.

A similar camera layout will be needed on the headset. Not for controllers anymore, but for hand tracking.

I guess we'll find out what's up and if this is real in a month when Facebook Connect happens.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
11 REPLIES 11

lensmandave
Superstar

Here's a very good guestimate of what may be coming soon.

Exciting stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf6Zr82i2hA

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Certainly very interesting.

mmm the current Touch tracking is good so these would need to be noticeably better. The only time when I've noticed tracking issues are when modelling in Medium and I'm getting my head and hands really close to each other, to the point that they're touching, and to be fair that happens quite regularly until you adapt.

If it halves battery life I don't see tracking benefits outweighing that, if it doubles the cost of the controllers same deal in my view. if they eat into whole-system performance headroom, same again.

If they bring something new to the table though, then bets are off. I'm just wondering what else these could do that's not immediately obvious.

How about them doubling as cameras for body tracking? not necessarily while holding them but by placing them in mounts at recommended locations?

And I guess anyone who's smashed a Touch ring against a wall will see a benefit but I haven't really come close to doing that, especially with the later versions.

...but as you say kojack, this is all assuming these aren't fake.

@DaftnDirect wrote:

...but as you say kojack, this is all assuming these aren't fake.

Yep. Although remember the Quest 2 leaked images last year, those turned out real.

@DaftnDirect wrote:

And I guess anyone who's smashed a Touch ring against a wall will see a benefit but I haven't really come close to doing that, especially with the later versions.

The CV1 tracking ring was great for hand protection. The later ones were in an awkward position and way too fragile.

Archery games will really benefit from this, since you can place your hand right beside your head.

I'm guessing carry cases will be smaller too, the tracking rings take up a lot of space.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please for the love of god, I don't care if these things suck the bottom of the AA batteries out in 2 hours, I need better archery in VR.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Looking at the pictures of the "leak" closer, I strongly suspect this is a fake. That looks like someone's apartment or home. And somehow, I doubt a legitimate leak would be from someone who smuggled a prototype out of Oculus and took it home with them. The image also appears to be missing the thumb stick entirely. In addition, the supposed options menu looks nothing like what Oculus is using in the HMD, desktop app, or the mobile app.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

@lensmandave wrote:

Here's a very good guestimate of what may be coming soon.

Exciting stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf6Zr82i2hA

Wow... to consider that the controllers could have their own OS! 😍

No more blind spots. Love it.

I also like this approach to getting better Black Levels with LCD.

Great video, buddy! I love that Naruto shirt too.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Anyone else think it wouldn't be too surprising if updates include non-functional things to specifically throw off people trying to data mine the updates for hints at upcoming hardware revisions?

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

kojack
MVP
MVP

While possible, that seems counterproductive. Putting hints of things that we have asked for and other headsets have (especially a month before the conference where they would announce new headsets) will just result in disappointment if it's revealed to be intentional red herrings.

As for having to smuggle a controller out of Oculus...

We've seen for years that Oculus sends out prototypes of headsets to certain developers (as they did with Eagle Dynamics for the DK2 prototype). They need to get launch titles some how.

But it could certainly all be fake.

My main concern with inside-out controllers (specifically videometric with no predetermined references, unlike Valve/Index inside-out beam sweep references) is the potential issue of tracking sync. Quests (and Rift-S) can lose tracking. If you've ever put one on and it lost the guardian, you've seen that happen. At least with Constellation, even if the headset lost world tracking, the controllers were known relative to the headset. But now they all need to share a known point cloud of the area to know where each other is, which is trickier since they won't be starting in the same location. And controllers can lose tracking (just like the headset) even when held somewhere that a Quest 2 could track fine.

It can work, but I can imagine issues in a normal environment.

The real test will be if fake looking box art is released, since that happened last time and turned out to be true. 🙂

The way the image cropped on the front of the Quest 2 box looked crap compared to the CV1, Rift-S, Go and Quest 1, I didn't believe it could be real, but that's what we got. 🙂