cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prescription Lenses DK2

rupy
Honored Guest
So I have these prescription lenses for the inside of the A-cups and they work well:

I summed up my spherical and cylindrical diopters because I have little cylinder, and that way I don't have to keep track of lens orientation. You can get cylindrical too, if you have a lot of astigmatism, for the same price.

- 50mm (could be maybe a tiny bit smaller for larger sweet spot = closer to the cup lens, I might sand my narrow edge down, gotta be careful though; you don't wan't to sand them off center!)
- Anti-glare coating (really important in DK2)
- Lightweight (plastic not glass)

I used a coin to squeeze the Blu-Tack in there here, made a sloppy job to test them quickly yesterday and found both lenses stuck to the screen today! No problem though, Blu-Tack comes off easy with Blu-Tack.

I can't sell them to you because it's against the forum rules, also Oculus officially does not want to build a lens shop (with me or anyone else it seems). Last, but not least, these where 10$ each; you should not pay more.

The difference they make: I could not develop/play without them, because glasses don't fit in the shell, and _shouldn't_ fit in the shell either for FoV's sake. The problem with bad sight is not that it's bad, but that it's different on most eyes. The result is as wrong as rendering two different images for each eye permanently.
"It's like Homeworld in first person." Disable Aero and vSync for a completely simulator sickness free experience with 2xHz FPS. Keep the config utility open for tracking to work.
22 REPLIES 22

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
This is the first I've heard of glasses not fitting while using DK2, everyone I've read from who wears glasses so far has said they work fine, better even than DK1, you just have to adjust it to have plenty of room inside. I guess maybe you have inch thick lenses or some crazy wrap-around frame or something...

LikeMike
Honored Guest
Nah, he is right. I wear glasses but I find it very hard to do so in the Rift. They always touch the lenses and that makes it very hard for me to find the sweet spot. Plus because the glasses get pressed against my face it is uncomfortable and I smear my glasses. I certainly can use my glasses in the Rift, but it has gotten to a point where I just prefer to just use it without the glasses. I am far sighted and thus can see rather good. But I would definetly be in the market for some prescription lenses.

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's one of the reasons I hope they switch to NVIDIA Near-Eye Light Field Display. From what they were saying in the video, they could have a way to auto a just to correct for eye problems. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcmD2s6E-LE

rupy
Honored Guest
Those Nvidia lenses require extreme amounts of rendering.
"It's like Homeworld in first person." Disable Aero and vSync for a completely simulator sickness free experience with 2xHz FPS. Keep the config utility open for tracking to work.

dmorgan
Honored Guest
Dreamwriter: Who are these people and or posts that says its fine with glasses? Id like the feedback.

This is a big issue for people with a prescription. Personally I only wear contacts now for certain events. For the RIFT its a pain in the ass, and makes perfect sense, because its meant to wrap around your head, not your head and a pair of glasses. Its like wearing 3D glasses over prescription glasses, it just doesnt work well and it sucks (and in the RIFTS case, its worse).

Software or Hardware solutions should be offered here.. or we are missing out on millions of people that wear glasses. I should be able to take off my glasses and use my RIFT, why? Because it should be that awesome. Forget a headset that works with glasses, its not going to happen (at least not anytime soon).

Can you position and arrange the RIFT so that it works with glasses? Yes.

Is it comfortable? No

I have several dev buddies that never bothered ordering dev kits because this exact topic wasnt mentioned or addressed anywhere we could find.

kode54
Honored Guest
I just fired an email off to my optometrist to ask them about ordering custom lenses to fit into the DK2 when mine arrives. I already said I would probably need 50mm lenses, but I also thought I may wish to bring the device in to them to see about getting them properly fitted, or possibly even get the existing optics measured so I can get all-in-one lenses manufactured for me. Naturally, I bet it will be expensive to ask an optometrist and glasses shop to do it for me. But at the very least, I'll need my corrective measurements from them first.

Plus, I'm having a hard time finding any shops that sell measured optics that simply provide a catalogue of parts to pick from and pre-quoted prices. Rather, lots of places are content to ask for my name and company name and what I need, so they can get back to me with a quote. Almost like you think everyone in the optics business is either an optometrist or a bulk manufacturer or provider of equipment for bulk manufacture.

kode54
Honored Guest
Can I bump this to ask a question? If you don't mind me asking, could you tell us where you ordered your lenses from? Or did you end up ordering them from an optometrist?

rupy
Honored Guest
alibaba.com

ZmillA
Honored Guest
what does glasses fitting in the rift have to do with FOV? Sure, I can't move the screen all the way in, but I don't want either. I don't want to see the edges of the screen. With the screen all the way out, the rift's lens edge serves as the boundary. Oculus themselves have said this is better than seeing the actual screen edge