cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem fixed - SteamVR games Judder / Stutter using Rift

blanes
Rising Star
I have had a huge game stopping issue for the past week since updating to the Win10 Creator update. I was getting terrible judder where the frames were skipping and also jumping or moving quickly up & down and side to side constantly. Only way to play a VR game was by turning  all graphic settings very low which looked like blurry mess.

I only found out later that it was Steam VR games affected not Oculus games. I had bought Battlezone on Steam sale and was focused mainly on that. After trying various different  Nvidia drivers without improvement I discovered it was due to a setting in SteamVR. I had never changed these settings  but I saw that the supersampling  was set to 5.0 rather than 1.0 via a slider under settings.

I can only guess that it changed due to some software glitch or consequence of the Creator update because I never changed it and the problems only began after the update. I am now back on latest Nvidia driver 388.31 and can run without any of the stutter, judder or frame jumping. Battlezone now runs smoothly on Ultra setting with in game supersampling at 1.20 in game. Hope this helps someone else as it was frustrating trying to disvover the cause but huge relief to find simple quick fix.  I also have asynchronous reprojection turned off as I think that is Vive specific and not needed or used by the Rift. 
13 REPLIES 13

Gaming_TURTLEZz
Honored Guest
@blanes
i don't see the slider you're talking about

LZoltowski
Champion

@blanes
i don't see the slider you're talking about

It's here

zs776ldos2q2.jpg

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

savagebeest
Honored Guest
Blanes i signed up to thank you. This was my gremlin the whole time causing me frustration. I was running ss on debugtool at 1.8 unknowing steamVR was set to 2.0. So both together was causing havoc. 

I7 8700k
RTX 2080
Cv1 rift

Anonymous
Not applicable
For most games you're better off using OpenComposite and bypassing SteamVR altogether to get better performance