cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processor Question - Intel i7 950

acefondu
Honored Guest
Is my processor too outdated for the Oculus?

Intel i7 950

Everything else in my PC is at spec, usb ports, 970GTX gpu etc. I know my processor isn't quite up to snuff, but is it outdated enough to warrant an upgrade? Kind of a pain to swap out motherboard to get a new CPU...would have to reinstall OS and everything probably.
7 REPLIES 7

CountBorgula
Protege
I am in a similar position. OK, so the USB 3.0 issue seems to be resolved by a cheap PCI-E card. The processor one is trickier, I have an AMD-FX-8320 8-core processor. I do have an 980 GTX and 8 Gb of RAM, I could easily up that to 16Gb. There is no game on the market I have not been able to run with Ultra settings and they are silky smooth.

SO, how exactly would the VR experience be "degraded" in this case, that I simply won't achieve the 90 Hz Frame rate? Not sure how easily I could upgrade just the processor, and a whole MB+CPU seems like quite a lot given the already high price of the CV1 itself, ah the joys of first world problems!

AnGeLZzZ
Honored Guest
Same thing.
i7 2600 + GTX 980
Should I change CPU + MB or will I have a solid experience with consumers edition anyway?

CountBorgula
Protege
It would also good to know which AMD processors are considered "Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater"? I could possibly consider a new AM3+ socket processor for my rig, but I have no way to know which AMD processors we are talking about.

Anyone know how to compare an AMD processor to "Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater"?

Hargert
Explorer
I am in the same boat with a i5-3750. Only thing it lacks is memory bandwidth but I am running 32 gigs. I am just going to wait and see how it does and go from there.

acefondu
Honored Guest
That's probably what I'll have to do too. Just see how well it works and if I'm forced to upgrade I guess I will. I'm in the March pre-order boat and I'd prefer not to cancel it...

Still, nothing I've run on my CPU has ever made it use more than like 60% of its processing power so I dunno, maybe I'll be ok.

Would I have to re-buy windows 10 if I got a new motherboard and cpu? I got the System Builder OEM version of Windows 7 previously.

zaphodB
Explorer
You won't have to rebuy. If you install Win10 you can enter your installation code for Win7 and it will work.

flyingsaucers
Expert Protege
I too am wondering about this CPU requirement. I'm still rockin Sandy Bridge @ 4.5ghz and, for gaming, there's been no reason to upgrade.

I wish we could get a more detailed, technical answer regarding the CPU req. I'm a bit skeptical that Rift will choke on an i5 + 980ti combo.