cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing games on Steam VR. Are the versions the same?

spyderx500
Honored Guest
I'm a new owner of Rift. With the Steam summer sales going on, some games are cheaper at Steam compared to the Oculus store. My question is if the Steam versions are the same as what I would get if I buy directly from the Oculus store? Any downsides for buying from Steam? As I start to build my VR library, every penny saved means more games I can buy. Here is what I have bought at Steam:

Obduction, Alien Isolation, Call of Starseed, Dead Secret. Annie Amber, and Project Cars GOTY.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BoxDroppingManA
Expert Protege

My question is if the Steam versions are the same as what I would get if I buy directly from the Oculus store?

Often, but not always. For example, Please Don't Touch Anything has a different control layout to suit the Vive controllers.  Guided Meditation displays Vive controllers on Steam, versus touch controllers on Oculus Store.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

zork2001
Heroic Explorer
I would always buy steam over oculus just for the refund policy. there have been over 20 games I have refunded at this point that just did not strike me as fun. A lot more money saved there than price difference.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Whilst i agree with the sentiment, esp for games that do not allow crossplay like pcars or sports bar vr etc
My 1 sole experience of getting a refund from oculus was just as pain free as my 1 sole experience of getting a refund on steam.

Logged into oculus on my pc, went into accounts, hihlihted the game i wanted a refund on with under 2 hrs played and bought under 2 weeks ago and clicked refund.

I know this has not been rolled out world wide yet, but once it is it is every bit as good as the steam version imo.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

BoxDroppingManA
Expert Protege

My question is if the Steam versions are the same as what I would get if I buy directly from the Oculus store?

Often, but not always. For example, Please Don't Touch Anything has a different control layout to suit the Vive controllers.  Guided Meditation displays Vive controllers on Steam, versus touch controllers on Oculus Store.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Whilst i agree with the sentiment, esp for games that do not allow crossplay like pcars or sports bar vr etc
My 1 sole experience of getting a refund from oculus was just as pain free as my 1 sole experience of getting a refund on steam.

Logged into oculus on my pc, went into accounts, hihlihted the game i wanted a refund on with under 2 hrs played and bought under 2 weeks ago and clicked refund.

I know this has not been rolled out world wide yet, but once it is it is every bit as good as the steam version imo.

Where exact do you do this in Oculus?

bigmike20vt
Visionary
I am 300 miles from my pc, but from memory in oculus app on your games pc go to settings , purchase history and recent purchases which qualify had a button to initiate refund
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂