cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 in a car

jagtheswag1018
Level 2

I'm going on a road trip in a week and I want to know if it would hurt the tracking cameras by using my quest2 in the car. I would make sure the lenses don't get any outside light between putting them on and taking them off. Thanks for any advice!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PITTCANNA
Level 12

Its not really feasible, i doubt you will even be able to establish a guardian in the seat.  Also in a car your subject to a lot of outside light, it will throw off tracking.

In short don't try it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

PITTCANNA
Level 12

Its not really feasible, i doubt you will even be able to establish a guardian in the seat.  Also in a car your subject to a lot of outside light, it will throw off tracking.

In short don't try it.

View solution in original post

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

The bright light might affect the tracking, but the biggest issue is the inertial tracking. The Quest uses accelerometers and gyroscopes to handle fast head and controller movement and gravity direction (to know which way is down). A moving car will mess with all of those, making it think the controllers and head are moving in the world, conflicting with the slower camera tracking.

(Not sure of the exact numbers for a Quest 2, but camera tracking is like 60 times per second, while inertial tracking is 500 times per second and fills in the gaps)

I haven't tried it myself though.

Same thing on a plane or boat.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2