cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 in a car

jagtheswag1018
Honored Guest

I'm going on a road trip in a week and I want to know if it would hurt the tracking cameras by using my quest2 in the car. I would make sure the lenses don't get any outside light between putting them on and taking them off. Thanks for any advice!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PITTCANNA
Visionary

Its not really feasible, i doubt you will even be able to establish a guardian in the seat.  Also in a car your subject to a lot of outside light, it will throw off tracking.

In short don't try it.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

PITTCANNA
Visionary

Its not really feasible, i doubt you will even be able to establish a guardian in the seat.  Also in a car your subject to a lot of outside light, it will throw off tracking.

In short don't try it.

kojack
MVP
MVP

The bright light might affect the tracking, but the biggest issue is the inertial tracking. The Quest uses accelerometers and gyroscopes to handle fast head and controller movement and gravity direction (to know which way is down). A moving car will mess with all of those, making it think the controllers and head are moving in the world, conflicting with the slower camera tracking.

(Not sure of the exact numbers for a Quest 2, but camera tracking is like 60 times per second, while inertial tracking is 500 times per second and fills in the gaps)

I haven't tried it myself though.

Same thing on a plane or boat.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Actually of you turn off tracking you can still use good apps like netflix and YouTube VR without tracking, this also disables guardian.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pretty sure sunlight would be your only real enemy - doesn't take but a moment to ruin a lens. Motion Sickness might be a little more exaggerated.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

This seems to scream "bad idea". As others have mentioned, the sun is your enemy when it comes to VR. It might only take a moment for the lenses to be ruined. And that could be caused by a speed bump, pothole, or any number of road hazards. Then there's the fact the movement of the car could well throw tracking off. Then there's the limited mobility of your desired play space. Even things that can be done in a "stationary" guardian tend to require expansive arm movements. And finally, the extra weight on the front of your head could make the risk of whiplash greater.

And by the gods, I'd hope you aren't planning on being the driver while in VR. That would be stupid, suicidal, and possibly illegal.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

wind
Explorer

I actually use Quest 2 inside a normal car many times a week, for months now. It works perfectly at day time as it is. Guardian area is not hard to set up, so you don't need to use seated mode, but you can. I use the middle rear seat because then you have more more room for hand movements than on front seat. At night time I use an infrared emitter connected to the 12V plug. It was originally meant for security camera usage but it works just fine with Quest 2 cameras too. I sometimes cover the front windows with sun shade thingies and the rear windows are darkened,  that way I feel more private if someone walks by.

Never leave Quest 2 inside the car during daytime! The heat can become great and cause damage,  that's why I never leave it inside the car when I'm not using it.

I have been able to also stream games from home computer over mobile phone hotspot, as the 4G/LTE network in my country is quite good and cheap. The lag is not too bad with Virtual Desktop Streamer for casual social games like VRChat.

Oh, mind you I never tested in a moving car. I use quest2 in car only because the car is a closed space where I can go to if I don't want to wake up people in a house, by speaking to mic and randomly knocking things. 

I suspect tracking might work as a lot of the view is static (the car itself),  but the movement from windows might still possibly mess it up.  I'd be also worried about nausea, especially on curved roads. And be careful you don't hit the driver or steering wheel.

I did, I play my Quest 2 in my park car, but it was at dusk, and it was cool. You can watch movies, YouTube, games, sit in your car seat and enjoy, just remember to lock your doors. 

I’m not aware about as of when this post was made but atlease right now we can disable tracking