cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

These features and enhancements will become available starting the week of September 13th, 2021.

Guardian History

• If your headset is experiencing tracking issues, you can now use Clear Guardian history to delete Guardian maps and tracking data in addition to boundary data from your Quest or Quest 2 headset.
    • Please note that this will also delete the Guardian tracking data for any secondary users if you have multiple accounts saved on your headset.
    • You can clear your Guardian history from the Guardian settings panel in VR.

Safe Browsing

• We’ve implemented an additional layer of security in Oculus Browser to protect you from websites that may be potentially harmful (malware, phishing etc.).
  • If you navigate to a potentially harmful site, you’ll be redirected to a separate page with info on why the site may be unsafe and recommendations for how to proceed. This feature is powered by Google Safe Browsing.

Link and Air Link Visual Improvements

• Next time you use Link or Air Link with your headset, you may notice improved image quality and text clarity thanks to Link Sharpening. Link Sharpening makes images crisper, fine details clearer, and text more clear and easy to read.

Improved Oculus Touch Controller Sleep Management

• We’re updating the Oculus Touch Controller firmware to make controllers go to sleep faster, which improves the standby battery life.
    • Please note that this update applies only to the original Quest to match the controller behavior on Quest 2.

Improved Multitasking

• We’re bringing some of the previously experimental multitasking features to everyone. These include showing up to three currently running 2D apps in the Universal Menu, a bar beneath each window for accessing common controls, and the ability to drag and drop Browser tabs and windows.

App-Level Notifications Preferences

• Notification settings are being redesigned to allow for more granular control of your in-VR notifications. These settings include
    • Turning ALL notifications for an app on or off.
    • Turning notifications for a particular app category (e.g. friend activity) on or off
    • Turning specific types of notifications (like push, VR, email) for an app on or off.

System Keyboard Updates

• You’ll now see auto-correct features when typing using the system keyboard.
  • We’ve also improved next-word prediction. You can quickly select the next word suggestion by hitting the spacebar.
    • Please note that this feature will be rolling out progressively over time and may not initially be available for all users.

You can always find our release notes up to date on our support page here as well.

54 Comments
TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Looking forward to sharper text/images with Link and Air Link.  I guess this will require v33 updates on both my Q2 and desktop app.  It’s amazing that so many Quest improvements have been released in such a short timeframe.  Thanks.

Mad_Max_75
Protege

How many updates are left to finally see Air Link out of beta?

I honestly believe that it already works very well to have to activate it every time.

Thanks.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

@Mad_Max_75 wrote:

How many updates are left to finally see Air Link out of beta?

I honestly believe that it already works very well to have to activate it every time.

Thanks.

Tethered Link was in beta for about a year, so I imagine Air Link would be similar. Although considering all the features that Air Link must support, it wouldn't surprise me if Air Link remained in beta for a total of 2-3 years.

Mad_Max_75
Protege

Years ?. Well I hope that while they wait to get it out of beta, at least they make their activation / deactivation and switch between Oculus Link / Air Link a little more friendly while we wait.

Osirix
Explorer

Je n'ai pas tout compris aux soucis de tracking qui sont en cause depuis la V28 le gardien on a toujours eu cette fonctionnalité pour supprimer des données et rien ne change toujours les soucis de perte de tracking aléatoire en quoi dans cette V33 ce serait différent ? Car cela gâche clairement mon expérience ce problème que je n'avais pas rencontré avant même de changer mon premier Quest 2 64Go contre un 128 en pensant que le problème serait corrigé mais pas du tout c'est le Guardian qui a un gros problème mémoriser l'espace de jeu.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I got the v33 update on my Q2 today.  My PC desktop app is still on V32.  I tried Link and Air Link and all this worked fine.  I did not see the sharpening option with ODT because it's only available with desktop v33.

So, I opted into beta PTC v33 and then ODT gave 3x Sharpening options; Disable, Auto, Enable.  I enabled sharpening on ODT.  Then restarted the Oculus Desktop app in order to activate ODT changes.  All I can say is WOW, what a nice improvement.  Image quality was much better defined and more importantly, distant objects are much clearer.  This seemed to carry forward into all my Oculus, Steam, and VivePort games.  Also carried over to my independent X Plane 11 flight sim.  Performance stayed the same so it does not seem that this sharpening option uses any significant amounts of additional PC resources.

I tried disabling the ODT sharpening option and the differences were quite apparent.  Disabled was the same as pre-v33.  Still good, but not a good as with it enabled.

I hope others are as pleasantly surprised how much nicer PCVR looks with Link and Air Link.  Thanks Oculus/Facebook!

PS. Ryan, maybe time to unpin the v32 thread and pin this v33 thread.  Cheers. 

knuckled625
Honored Guest

There was a previously announced increase to guardian size from 10m x 10m up to 15m x 15m back in v30. This either did not happen or (as someone reported) was reverted back.

Is the increase to 15x15 still coming, or will 10x10 continue to be the guardian size for the foreseeable future?

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I got an update yesterday on my Quest 2, and was excited to try Link Sharpening. Unfortunately it was not v33, but rather v32.077. Oh well, it'll come when it comes.

cheddle
Protege

I was hoping to see the Apple Magic Keyboard included as a tracked keyboard in the home environment. Currently its only tracked in the Horizon Beta.

ShocksVR
Superstar

v33 is in the PTC channel.  I'm thus far impressed by the Link Sharpening feature.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I’ve already got PTC v33 on my PC, but I expect that you also need v33 on the Quest for sharpening to work. That’s what I’m currently waiting for.

shlomore
Explorer

Can’t see the new V.33 update on my quest 2 option…why?

lensmandave
Superstar

All updates are rolled out gradually across the globe, you'll get it eventually. Sometimes takes a couple of weeks 🙂

shlomore
Explorer

Thanks for the answer.

CrimsonSky3000
Protege

Is link sharpening working for quest 1?

I see the option in the oculus debug tool but enabling or disabling it I don't notice any difference in graphics in game?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@CrimsonSky3000  Make sure that you restart your Oculus desktop app after making changes to ODT (select Enable on sharpening option btw).  No reason this or any other update should not work fine with the Q1 imho.

lensmandave
Superstar

Just did the same and switched to PTC. They have worked some magic with this update! A distinct sharpening in all areas and apps. I did some comparisons using the ROV test lab and could retreat a further metre to easily read the red underlined text line 🙂

Off to try Automobilista 2...

Mad_Max_75
Protege

While I wait for my turn for the v33 update, I enjoy reading your tests and pleasant impressions.

I'm especially interested in rFactor2, where the sharpness in the distance is the only thing I miss when using Quest2.

I will continue to wait impatiently.

shlomore
Explorer

Hi guys,

today when I turn on my Quest 2 it showed some download instead of the usual starting..

I wonder could it be the new V.33 that automatically updated? If so how can I see the confirmation of it on my quest 2? And also wanted to ask if I should still use the option to increase the resolution to 3072x2700 with my App on the smartphone ? 

lensmandave
Superstar

From your Quest home environment, go to settings, then scroll down to 'about'. You'll see your current version indicated.

shlomore
Explorer

I also faced some glitches right after the download.. but after few fresh start it was fixed..

I have not tried yet the AirLink but over all it looks more crispy and better picture…

That is why I was wonder should I still use the option of configure the highest Rez …

shlomore
Explorer

Hi , 

Thanks for the info….

AlexiTQ
Adventurer

Have you fixed the Link issues yet?

shlomore
Explorer

The AirLink is working much better and sharper..When I checked the “about” option I saw that it is now V.33 .   What I still wonder is if I still need to use the Sidequest App to increase the Rez..

I use to do it every time I turn on my headset …Should I do that after the update in order to get a better Rez? 

lensmandave
Superstar

I remember trying the Sidequest Rez option some time ago. I think it only ups the rez of the Quest home environment and older apps that haven't been updated to take advantage of the Quest 2 higher resolution panels. I spend most of my time playing PCVR games via AirLink and all the resolution adjustments are done on the Oculus PC app.

shlomore
Explorer

That’s interesting to know thanks. To be honest I unlike you and most quest owners,use my quest to explore and I use a lot the TV option and all kind of goos Rez videos on the net…

I a.m not such a gamer . So do you think that for my use it is any significant to use the sidequest?

Some times when I use the high Rez from sidequest I get some weird half black screen on the opening environment … Any other of you guys get this when try to increase the Rez via Sidequest App?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@shlomore.  Don't use  sidequest  res option any more.  Oculus v33 has all you need imoh. 

shlomore
Explorer

Hi ,

Thank you for this advice Tom….

mushiybunzey5
Honored Guest

Pull your chip theirs. Spare inside even if you loose it covered under warranty. 

Mad_Max_75
Protege

Does anyone know more or less how long it takes to deploy an update for Quest 2?

I already have it in Oculus Home (Without PTC) 2 days ago, but no trace in Quest. Shortly after this news came out, a download started, but it was from v32.0.0.7.7

RetroRocker
Protege

When will the V33 update be rolled out to all Quest 2 headsets?  I have it on my PC app but not my headset.

ohgrant
Superstar

The Rez adjustment in Sidequest is not the same as the PCVR adjustments, it's for applying it natively.

Yes,  I have seen that half black screen you are talking about, it seems every version has a slightly different limit, on V33 I had to back it down a notch. 

I'm thinking there is a danger of having the native Rez higher than default during an update. Everything working great here except airlink. I get that half black screen in airlink since it launched even with everything set at default and I suspect it's because I had the Rez up during the first airlink install. I could probably fix it with a factory reset but I would still use virtual desktop more since it also has the ability to invoke 3D for the games and movies I stream.  

shlomore
Explorer

Hi

This might be the reason for half block screen …My V.33 update came automatically 

when I turn on my headset for the first thing before I increase the Rez.

I do can tell you and highly recommend to use the AirLink rather than the virtual desktop.

You will see much better and extremely faster than the virtual….

shlomore
Explorer

Hi 

The update will happened one day soon when you just open it and see the arrow sign

that show the update.. It will update for up to 10 minutes and than you should turn it off

and turn it on again…

kaavar
Protege

thanks for this info regarding airlink vs. virtual desktop. Im looking forward to receiving the update and trying airlink out again with No Mans Sky, and I might for fun fire up Alyx again and 'compare' between the two ( virtual deskop and airlink) 

shlomore
Explorer

Hi

I am sure you’ll find that the AirLink is much more stable and better picture and letancy

is much smoother…I have also and the virtual and practically don’t use it any more…

Remember that the V33 will appear one day when you turn your headset and start downloading for about up to ten minuted in which you must let it finish completely until the headset light turn to blue and dark screen…Than you should turn it off by clicking for few seconds till the light turn off. Once there turn back the headset and you good to go…You might face some glitches at first uses,but after a while it work great..Good luck and enjoy !

SirNanos
Honored Guest

Couldn't you always clear your Guardian history?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Good idea to clear guardian history after any updates imho.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

So I got v33 on my Quest 2 today and tried Link Sharpening... Wow, pretty nice improvement! I loaded up Lone Echo and played around with turning Sharpening off and on, and the difference is quite noticeable. Then I got sucked in and played through a couple hours of the game, until my battery ran out. Anyway, good stuff!

shlomore
Explorer

Hi

I never really thought about it…I will try next use to clear my Guardian history…

LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

Got the updates a few days ago and things were pretty good until now for some reason

after starting up Airlink within a couple of minutes or so the bit rate nose dives and everything becomes a stutterfest.

I'm on the early build of Windows 11.

I read on Reddit others are aware of a Windows 11 "focus" bug where OVR.exe doesn't like being behind  or in front of other windows.

Has anyone who may be in the same boat found a fix?

markwest76
Expert Protege

I've just tried to enable/disable link sharpening in ODT and then run Fallout 4 VR, but it doesn't seem to change anything...so maybe Quest 1 or this particular game is not supported?

nalex66
MVP
MVP

There shouldn't be any game-specific aspect to it. Link Sharpening runs on the headset itself, which has no direct connection to, or understanding of, what game you might be running on your PC. As long as you're connecting through Link or AirLink (i.e. not Virtual Desktop), it should work. I haven't tried it on my Quest 1, but perhaps the sharpening effect is less obvious than it is on the Quest 2?

Mad_Max_75
Protege

In my case, I tried several games and the change was noticeable in all of them.
It suits the most current ones better, such as Half Life: Alyx, Contractors or The Walking Dead Saints & Sinners, but those with more time, such as Assetto Corsa or rFactor 2, the filter does not suit them so well because it shows aliasing, thing that disguised the lack of sharpness before the filter.
I made a video comparing details, although it is not very decisive because having a 1024x1024 capture in Quest, the zoom loses a lot of detail, but it can guide you to see what to look at in other games.

markwest76
Expert Protege

I've read that the sharpening effect should be already visible in the link main menu, so I can definitely say that on my Quest 1 enabling or disabling it it has no effect at all (using v.33 on both Quest firmware and PCT software)