cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest or Rift S

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello I want some opinions here please I want to know what to do. I have a pc but it's getting old, cpu : i7 2600, gtx 1060 3gb, 16gb of ram. Is my pc strong enough for the rift S or should I get a quest? What would you do?
13 REPLIES 13

Buck_Naked
Honored Guest
I have a Quest so can't comment on the Rift s but from what I've read, the Rift is lighter on the head but the quest has a little better graphics. They both can play the same games on a PC.

As for your PC, it will run either headset just don't expect to turn the graphics up very high at all. Im running a RTX 2060 and can't run most games past medium settings 

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Your PC is marginal, you can expect low-medium detail on most things and for some to be totally unplayable. That would suggest the Quest, but I'm rather unimpressed with games on the Quest. Plugging my Quest into my PC is objectively worse in terms of frame rates, frame rate stability, image quality and overall system stability than simply using my Rift S. So while the Quest Link is nice, it is worse than just using a Rift S as things currently stand.

On the flip side, the Quest is a lot more comfortable and I can watch movies with it lying down. It's also better for demo's since people can spin around endlessly without tripping on a cord. But that's more of a demo concern than an individual owner concern.

Get a new PC and get a Rift S - that's the best option.

If that isn't an option, get a Quest.  If this is your first foray into VR (ignoring Cardboard completely), you will love it.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
My quest came today, so I now have both.  Here is a my quick opinion in both.
Rift S
The Rift S is much much lighter than the Quest, its foam is softer and the halo headband gives a nice comfortable fit I can play for hours and hours with no problems.
The display on the Rift S is better than the Quest, whilst you can see pixels in both, they are less noticeable on the Rift S.
You have more games on the Oculus store for Rift S, plus SteamVR games too.
You get a much better dash - keyboard - home experience.
Quest
Setup was much easier. Even though my left controller did not sync up at first, I had a much smoother setup with Quest.
The headset is heavy, and the headband not as good - it took a lot of faffing to get a good fit with clear view.
IPD adjustment is nice and is part of the setup.
On my setup the graphics are the same on the Quest as they are on the Rift S - YMMV
You don't have a wire to get in the way (thats a major thing with me) as I am always getting wrapped up or stepping on it.
The headset begins to hurt my face after an hour or so, the foam is hard, and I had to tighten the head strap up to prevent movement and blurry vision.
Battery only lasts about 2 and a bit hours, meaning if you play a lot - you are back to having a wire - if you play and charge. (assuming you don't use a power bank) or don't want to wait.
Sound is a bit weaker on Quest or at least it seams so.
The interface of the quest is more like what you get on a mobile device - eg Oculus GearVR. (but Quest is better)
And of course your Quest is mobile, the Rift S is a say home gadget.

I hope that helps.

Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

"the graphics are the same" - what does this mean?

The textures on the Quest just do not compete with the Rift S (or Rift).  They can't and they don't!

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

The textures on the Quest just do not compete with the Rift S (or Rift).  They can't and they don't!

Dude if your going to quote, you should quote it all.  "on my set up - and YMMV'  I don't see a difference between them.  Thats why its an opinion & its says that right on the first line !
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

Umpa_PC said:

Dude if your going to quote, you should quote it all.  "on my set up - and YMMV'  I don't see a difference between them.  Thats why its an opinion & its says that right on the first line !

Please accept my apologies Umpa, i was more pointing to the way the word graphics is used, not the fact that you had said that.

Some people look at figures (specs - resolution etc) but there is so much more to think about and the main complaint i hear from PC VR users when they try the Quest is the downgrade in textures.  Oculus can release the Quest with fantastic specs that on paper look better than the Rift S but the textures are much lower detailed.  When i played a game that i had been playing on the Rift for 6 months my heart just sank.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your input. I bought a rift S and I'll try it on my old rig.

HoldenRiot
Honored Guest
Hey @Umpa_PC , @BeastyBaiter , and @Hiro_Protag0nist ,
given the above comments, and my Gaming rig/setup listed below, which would you recommend for me? The Rift S, or the Quest!? 

CPU - Intel Core i5-7500 LGA 1151 7th Gen Core Desktop Processor (BX80677I57500)

Memory (RAM) - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2133MHz C13 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2A2133C13)

Motherboard - 
ASUS TUF Z270 Mark 2 LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI DVI M.2 USB 3.1 Z270 ATX Motherboard

Graphics Card - Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB Graphic Cards GV-N108TAORUS X-11GD

Monitors - 3 25" ASUS PB258Q 5ms

Thanks in advance!