cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question Re: 256Gig vs 128Gig Models

jim.balsewich
Level 3

So... I am looking to purchase one of these Oculus VR devices. My question is: Is there a "performance" advantage to the 256 ghz model vs the 128 ghz model OR... is the difference only in the "storage" capacity to store games?  I can't seem to find the answer to this simple question anywhere - if the only difference is the

"storage" capacity, I would buy the 128 ghz model - if there are "performance" enhancements that come along with the 256 ghz model, I would consider spending the additional $ to buy it.

Does anyone KNOW the answer to this question for certain?? (No guessing, please).

Thank You.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PITTCANNA
Level 12

Honestly the 128 is the best value. I bought the 256 at launch, and in reality you only use a few different games at a time. some games are cloud synched so you don't loose your save data. But i also got 100 off at time of purchase due to amazon promotion by siging up for a credit card.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

PITTCANNA
Level 12

Honestly the 128 is the best value. I bought the 256 at launch, and in reality you only use a few different games at a time. some games are cloud synched so you don't loose your save data. But i also got 100 off at time of purchase due to amazon promotion by siging up for a credit card.

View solution in original post

PITTCANNA
Level 12

One final take: at launch 64 gig vs 256 the spread was 4 times the storage.  It made no sense to buy the 64, some games are up to 5 gigs there are rare occasions like myst which comes with 10 gig file.  So the 128 is still enough space, and if your only planning to do pcvr and not run native it makes no sense to spend an extra 100.

The performance is the same between the 2 models.  So the question to yourself is if you just don't want to juggle games then go for the 256 otherwise the 128 is better deal.

soulburn74
Level 2

1. It is not Ghz, it is GB(ytes) as it is an indication of storage not cpu processor speed.

2. There is no performance benefits from having double the storage. But yes, it is double the storage (more games/apps/data can be installed/downloaded to the HMD). 

Ooops! Yes GB (not Ghz) my mistake (sorry) and Thank You for the reply - it is what I "believed" to be the case.      But, I just wanted to "confirm" before making my purchase decision.

Thanks Again!

inovator2
Level 4

If I had a choice I would have saved 100 dollars on the 128gb and not have bought the 256.

Thanks! - That is exactly what I did.