Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Images in Latest Quest 2 Advert

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
1zsszssln3oo.png

[VIDEO REMOVED]

Nothing new in the marketing sector to fake up some imagery of what you wish the console game would look like. But the backlash nowerdays can have some major repocusions if we look at what is happen with Cyberpunk 2077.

Interested to hear if the posters here think its okay to fake up the quality in the advert - or is it a road to problems down the road (as can be seen by the disclaimer at the end of the actual commerical)!

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
22 REPLIES 22

PITTCANNA
Visionary
Non-issue.  Vr games can't be traditionally marketed like other video games.  I still think for all intensive purposes how in the hell can anyone go wrong buying a vr headset for 299, that does not require a pc, or dedicated setup.

Traditional video games are more like fraud when they oversell the visuals.  Because now with pc's out pacing game consoles in graphics, its easy to throw a 3090 - i9 - 32 gig ram and get the most ideal setup but the consumer doesn't know.

The only way to advertise vr, is to experience it.  

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Understand - that may be an argument that the marketing team
may try and peddle - though by the disclaimer at the end of the commercial it
may be argued this has blow-up in their face!

I just can see why they did not use the actual game footage - the quality is
excellent for what the system is!

And the dangers of over selling your products are more dangerous seeing the
latest news!

l5e5pga6i4u6.png

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

PITTCANNA
Visionary

kevinw729 said:

Understand - that may be an argument that the marketing team
may try and peddle - though by the disclaimer at the end of the commercial it
may be argued this has blow-up in their face!

I just can see why they did not use the actual game footage - the quality is
excellent for what the system is!

And the dangers of over selling your products are more dangerous seeing the
latest news!

l5e5pga6i4u6.png

Heres the thing about using quest 2 native footage, how the hell do you sell that? With 99% of the games in first person view and little cinematics its hard to convey the scope and flexibility of what vr is.

For example take a game like "Thrill of the fight" : A game that is argubally better than creed because it feels real, and it not a story driven game. That game is not going to convince anyone to invest 299 for unit that looks slightly rudimentry.  

Cyberpunk 2077 on the other hand is a mess for other reasons it should of been released sooner, in deleying the title as long as they did the hardware outpaced the software.  Meaning 30 series cards, PS5 and series x are the destination because they are what's going to be relevant for years to come.  Once the production normalizes and adoption increases what benefit does any studio have to make for last gen hardware.  The devs were just caught in the middle, either keep it last gen or focus on next gen.

Getting back to vr marketing, The quest is a game changer nothing competes in the market its at.  I think the sizzle of "edited/faked" footage is acceptable because once you get into it, its awesome.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Yea the next gen consoles will be able to run cyberpunk just fine.
While we pc master racers look down upon the masses and gloat.
For we have already played beaten and enjoyed the game.
gyyqw5398w0t.gif

WAAAGH!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Sony did not remove Cyberpunk 2077 because of fake visual advertisements. Sony removed it due to performance issues:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/18/technology/cyberpunk-2077-refund.html

There doesn't seem to be a direct connection between Cyperunk's performance issues on consoles, and a Quest 2 commercial that uses stock imagery.

I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 days, and every advertisement I've seen - from TV ad's before the Internet even existed, up to today - has always shown visuals that I don't really get when I run the title in my own home. Nothing new here.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Haven't we already had a thread based on this..?

Once someone that hasn't experienced VR puts on a headset and tries out these games the last thing they're going to think about is that the game doesn't look like the advert. They're going to be gobsmacked by experiencing VR for the very first time.

And what happened to the video..?

PITTCANNA
Visionary
The other thing to consider is cost per app Quest vs PS4/PS5/Xbox one/Seris

So the most expensive app for the quest is 40 dollars
Average app cost is around 15-20 dollars
Many options for sub 15 dollars
Most apps are sold complete no extra dlc is required to buy 
Loads of free apps and experiences

Contrast against Game consoles:
Most expensive 60 dollars
Network costs 60 a year
average 30 dollars
most games are 40-50 
Dlc milks the customer dry, characters for fighting games, weopon upgrades, (pay to win/play)

i don't think the user is going to be think there duped because visuals on say a 4k tv vs mobile screen approx 2k an eye.

The customer is going to be far more impressed with:
being immersed in game so much more then the wii sports days
jumping into different games
no additional running costs
right out of the box playability
a mobile gaming solution not bound by a tv, pc/console, ethernet connection

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

Haven't we already had a thread based on this..?

Once someone that hasn't experienced VR puts on a headset and tries out these games the last thing they're going to think about is that the game doesn't look like the advert. They're going to be gobsmacked by experiencing VR for the very first time.

And what happened to the video..?

Oh have we - funny the video was only run this week?
But if you could point us to the previous thread you claim is the same, I will move the discussion there?

This thread OP was more about the new story questioning why fake video was needed whent he graphics are okay.

Oh and the video is still up (and saved) but because this is an old forum softwate it can not be uploaded cleanly, but we can point you to the FB forum discussion that has the video saved.... if you are serious.

Anonymous
Not applicable
You created a similar thread based on a Quest advert a while back I think? Or somebody did.